Does NU ever get a break, while the opponent got the screw job?

CornBall

I'm not intending to start a flame war here, just curious though: What instances do you recall where NU clearly got away with one?

You may not be intending to start flame wars, but let's face it, you are getting to be pretty good at it, and you certainly don't do anything to put the flame out once you have "unintentionally" :sarcasm started it.

Makes me wonder if you really love Nebraska as much as you say.

T_O_B

:dunno:dunno:dunno

I'm not intending to start a flame war here, just curious though: What instances do you recall where NU clearly got away with one?

You may not be intending to start flame wars, but let's face it, you are getting to be pretty good at it, and you certainly don't do anything to put the flame out once you have "unintentionally" :sarcasm started it.

T_O_B

I shelled out about $72 jack for an MBA from UNL over the course of 2 years, so I'd say it's where my heart is. :snacks:

T_O_B

I shelled out about $72 jack for an MBA from UNL over the course of 2 years, so I'd say it's where my heart is. :snacks:

While the mindless banter about flaming is entertaining, I will say that it does "appear" that NU does not get as many calls when playing high profile teams like Florida, Florida State, Penn State, Texas, and Oklahoma. I say "appear" because the calls are legit. When you do not have as much athleticism as the other team you are more prone to penalties and poor play. Haag is NOWHERE close in terms of speed with Shipley, and if he was a bit more athletic he would have been in a better position to turn and see the ball. (That said, face guarding is legal in college so he really didn't have to turn around, and I never really did understand why the commentators and the refs were so bent on using the NFL rules of pass interference). It is something that NU has endured for years: I have watched tapes and heard stories of "Sooner Magic" = more athleticism, I have experienced Texas going Amrish Puri (CALIMA!!!) on my ass and tearing my heart out = more athleticism, and I watched an incredibly talented Miami team toy with us in the Rose Bowl = MUCH MORE ATHLETICISM. This of course does not mean that we can not compete with, and beat these teams, it just means that we have to have that "punch you in the mouth, and will get back up off the mat quicker than you" mentality. Make now mistake we are on our way back, and I for one am thoroughly enjoying the ride!

Couple of things here:

1) The Davison Deflection can not be deemed illegal. Wiggins had his back turned to Matt, the ball popped loose, he tried to corral it, and Matt made a miraculous diving catch. There is no way Wiggins saw Matt, nor was that part of the play. Merely luck. If you think otherwise (cough Missouri fans), than I suggest a little less drinking of the MU koolaid.

But Wiggins did admit to purposely trying to kick the ball back up into the air to keep it alive. Which is 100% illegal. Did he know Davison would catch it? No. Hell Enhance89 you're probably more than right that he wasn't even aware that Davison was behind him. But none of that matters. he admitted to it, then when told it was illegal back tracked and said it was not on purpose. It clearly was.

Also MU intercepted Frost a few plays previous to that but it was called an incomplete pass. Some times things are just not meant to be. I mean how many other times have you seen the entire crew including chain gang lose count of downs? They then followed that up with awarding a TD to a player that had no part of their body or ball cross the goal on a play that never should have been.

Either way those games were 19 and 12 years ago. Doesn't matter anymore and doesn't change anything. I am not bitter about it. I mean, why should I be....just because two of our conference rivals have National Championship trophies that 'shouldn't' belong to them <_<:lol:

On a serious note, things have a tendency to even out. You always remember the calls that "screwed you" but rarely remember those that you benefited from. Mu has gotten some good calls over the years and they have gotten jobbed. Its just a fact of life. I would bet that many of you, just as I did, have a coach/friend/teammate who told you to "not give the refs a chance to beat us. Make sure there is no doubt." If Mu had not shot themselves in the foot on their last drive and converted for 1 more first down NE would have never had a chance to even make that play. But you will not hear many MU fans complain about the bad play calling on that drive. MU played not to lose the lead instead of going for the win. First time all game and it cost them. Not some fluky miracle off an illegal kick.

I shelled out about $72 jack for an MBA from UNL over the course of 2 years, so I'd say it's where my heart is.

Not indicative of anything. You can't swing a stick in Lincoln without hitting two grads who don't give a tinker's damn about the school, the football team or anything N. There's a LOT of anti-UNL sentiment from grads and non-grads alike. Having earned an MBA here doesn't automatically qualify you as "on Nebraska's side."

Mahatma Gandhi said, "Stupid is as stupid does, sir!"

Nebraska got the benefit of one of the worst calls I'd ever seen, but we were way behind so it never really mattered.

1988 UCLA game, Aikman and Co hammers us for 4 1st quarter TDs. In the 2nd quarter, Mark Blazek picks off a pass and falls down. I can't picture exactly how he went down, but it wasn't even close. But there's no whistle, and Blazek is the only who realizes this, and instead of jogging off the field with everyone else, he heads for the goal line. Still no whistle, so he picks it up a bit. A couple of UCLA guys give a half-hearted chase, but he goes 75 yards untouched. The ref looked back upfield and shrugs and signals touchdown.

The final score was 41-28, but it never seemed that close.

But Wiggins did admit to purposely trying to kick the ball back up into the air to keep it alive. Which is 100% illegal. Did he know Davison would catch it? No. Hell Enhance89 you're probably more than right that he wasn't even aware that Davison was behind him. But none of that matters. he admitted to it, then when told it was illegal back tracked and said it was not on purpose. It clearly was.

Heck of a play. ESPN's show in the aftermath of that play in the 1997 awards show with all the players being interviewed is a pretty good breakdown:

OvTaN1uplS4

In the last five seconds of this video Fowler refers to the Fifth Down play by Colorado.

Whether you think that was an illegal kick or not (and remember all the batted/bounced/kicked balls throughout the history of college football that were still called receptions), one thing bears noting – the "Flea Kicker" didn't end that game. Missouri still had overtime to win that game, and failed. No matter what you think of that play it didn't decide the game.

Whether you think that was an illegal kick or not (and remember all the batted/bounced/kicked balls throughout the history of college football that were still called receptions), one thing bears noting – the "Flea Kicker" didn't end that game. Missouri still had overtime to win that game, and failed. No matter what you think of that play it didn't decide the game.

That's a pretty irrelevant point. First, it would've ended the game had it been called differently. Second, there are virtually no "screw job" plays that ever happened on the very last play.

The 82 Penn State catch out of bounds didn't decide the game because they still had to score on the next play. Hell, even the end zone catch that looked like a trap didn't "decide the game" by that logic because we could've returned the ensuing kickoff for a TD in the final 4 seconds, but we failed.

I shelled out about $72 jack for an MBA from UNL over the course of 2 years, so I'd say it's where my heart is.

Not indicative of anything. You can't swing a stick in Lincoln without hitting two grads who don't give a tinker's damn about the school, the football team or anything N. There's a LOT of anti-UNL sentiment from grads and non-grads alike. Having earned an MBA here doesn't automatically qualify you as "on Nebraska's side."

Mahatma Gandhi said, "Stupid is as stupid does, sir!"

Well then, allow me to be more direct:

I like Nebraska.

Does that do it for ya? :espnsucks: