Direction of our offense

Taylor

The article was also in today's Journal Star, so here it is.

Bo Pelini expressed confidence Saturday in where this Husker offense is headed after this season.

"I have a pretty clear vision of what's going to happen there," Pelini said after Saturday's practice.

Does Pelini feel he's on the same page with offensive coordinator Shawn Watson?

"Oh, yeah. There's no doubt," Pelini said, noting that the vision a coach has when a season starts sometimes has to be tinkered with to match personnel.

"You can't do things overnight and make adjustments overnight," Pelini said. "We've been on the same page. We always will be on the same page because we communicate real well and I have a tremendous amount of confidence in Wats. I like the direction where we're headed. Slowly but surely you start moving in that direction."

Watson said on Wednesday he envisions a future offense "that spreads the field and spreads the offense out ... so that's what we want to be. I think that's what you have to do to win. Because you can run and pass equally as well out of it. That's where we need to go."

Nebraska has rushed the football on almost 70 percent of its plays since the Baylor game, leaving out most spread formations in favor of heavy sets. The I-formation suddenly became a prominent piece for the Huskers in several games.

"You always got to do what you got to do to win games," Pelini said. "But I see us being a lot more diversified going forward. There's certain things that I know we have to do for the long-term future of our program, and building through those strengths. I know what those are and I know where I want it to head. Is that necessarily the strength of our football team this year? Not necessarily. But there are a lot of issues that come up with in that regard."

As for the run-pass ratio? "I want to be 50-50," Pelini said. "But I know one thing: In this football program, I want to be a physical football team and I want to be able to run the football. Believe me, I understand the need to throw the ball. Everybody needs to have to throw the football. But that's my No. 1 priority going forward is we're going to have a way, we're going to be committed to, and we're going to be able to run the football on people when we want to. And that's the key to a good football team. A good offense, believe me you got to have multiplicity. But when I say 50-50 I mean that when we want to run it we can run it, we can do it effectively. And we can throw it. We have all the tools available to us to throw the football. That's what has to be done. How do that, there's a lot of different ways you can do that. ...

"Are we going to be limited to running the zone read going forward? No. I promise you it ain't going to be limited to that."

Is Alabama's current offense a good model of what Pelini's looking for?

"Yeah. I think that's why they win. You look at Florida when they've won. You look at the teams that have won national championships. They've always had that element to their game. They've been able to run the football. It's pretty hard these days to have a consistent offense when you don't have any running game. You're not going to be a good football team. You're going to struggle against teams that know what they're doing defensively."

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extr...ce_in_wats.html

im confused? watson wants a spread attack but pelini says he wants a power run game with a 50-50 ratio of pass with it and he says there on the same page...am i missing something?

Spread does not always mean throwing the ball.

Florida runs the "spread" and ran the ball 521 times to 328 passes.

Oklahoma St runs a "spread" a lot and ran the ball 527 times to 304 passes

Oregon runs the "spread" and ran 514 times to 318 passes.

Michigan runs the "spread" and ran 494 times to 329 passes

Even one of the greatest offenses of all time last year, with a Heisman trophy winning quarterback, Oklahoma ran 589 times to 517 passes.

All of those teams have a lot of "spread" in their game, but also would be considered having the ability to physically run the ball.

"Are we going to be limited to running the zone read going forward? No. I promise you it ain't going to be limited to that."

This comment jumps out at me? Did someone ask specifically about it or did he bring it up. If someone did ask....he kind of emphasized it. "I promise you it ain't going to be limited to that." That sounds like he's a little frustrated with that style of running the ball.