More Thoughts on Our Offense

EZ-E

What made me the most angry about our offense this year was our unwillingness to deviate from a traditional offense. We see a lot of teams run out of that WildCat formation and get their playmakers the ball in a lot of unorthodox ways. Why was there no creativity in the offensive game planning this year? We saw some innovation on the defensive side with that new "deisal package" as they call it where we have 7 defensive backs on the field. Why was there no innovation and/or creativity on the offensive side?

Because when you have a quarterback - the guy at the center of everything for the offense on the field - struggling keeping his head in the game, and you are forced to change the offensive scheme mid-season, the logical choice is something clever, finessy, and complicated over simple pounding-the-rock?

I thought we were Nebraska, and we hated finessy things. Going back to power football and running the option should have made everyone ecstatic.

Simple answer I think is, what are you looking for out of the O? Flash? yards? At some point this year (after ISU, I suspect), they decided all they were looking for was a W. We do not have playmakers, we have receivers who can fumble the ball untouched; why would we be installing all the bells and whistles midseason?

A high risk, low potential gamble like that only makes it harder for our all-world defense to be in position to win games for us, which would have been an incredible waste of Suh & co's talents.

There is talent on both sides of the ball. Sad thing is only one side played to its potential this season. Nebraska's recruiting classes have been pretty good the past few years on both offense and defense. There is no way a team of its caliber should rank 101 in total offense, 80 in total points scored, 68 in rushing and 101 in passing! (1)(2)(3)(4) It's ridiculous but the defense faced the same problem a few years ago. It was stacked with high caliber recruits who weren't being coached up to their potential: Steinkuhler, Potter, Turner, Allen, Suh, Wortman, Dillard, Ruud, Octavien, A Jones, Bowman, Murillo, Grixby, Blue, Asante, and even Green. In the end we find out that the same defense many people said had no talent actually had a decent amount of NFL caliber players, even had a future heisman candidate. Maybe the 09 offense doesn't have the same hidden gems that the 07 defense had but the cupboards certainly are not bare. Hopefully the offense starts using the talent that it has.

*1 http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/sortableStats...;dir=descending

*2 http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/sortableStats...;dir=descending

*3 http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/sortableStats...;dir=descending

*4 http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/sortableStats...;dir=descending

I wish I had a unicorn that pooped fruity Skittles. :)

Me too. I also wish we had a Nebraska Quarterback recruit with Tommie Fraziers speed and moves, Peyton Mannings Arm, and Curt Warner's accuracy in 1997.

8 Six foot ten 450 pounds of muscle offensive lineman that bench 800 pounds each

Mo Purify, Nate Swift, and Irving Fryer in an NCAA eligible time machine.

Gee, isn't it funny how when you actually have more than a week before your next game and (relatively) no school to worry about for your student athletes, you can actually make some improvements and changes?

This is exactly what everyone should have wanted to see... The offense making strides when they should have. You generally don't do that in the middle of the season, especially have you attempt to overhaul the offensive philosophy. They had a break and time to work on it and they made significant strides. Probably more significant strides than most would have expected.

I wish I had a unicorn that pooped fruity Skittles. :)

Me too. I also wish we had a Nebraska Quarterback recruit with Tommie Fraziers speed and moves, Peyton Mannings Arm, and Curt Warner's accuracy in 1997.

8 Six foot ten 450 pounds of muscle offensive lineman that bench 800 pounds each

Mo Purify, Nate Swift, and Irving Fryer in an NCAA eligible time machine.

LOL

EDIT: You owe me a f'ing mouth full of beer and a keyboard.

Still, I don't think this thread will feel right unless we can have one or two of our traditional Green leg humpers in here. How about it?

Dr. John's had a sale on Green blow up dolls tonight, so they are, shall we say "busy".

Don't worry though, they will have full blown LDS by the time the spring game gets here.