Cody Glenn

Nameless and Eric, I have heard that this guy in high school had decent cutting ability besides his power. Is that true? Does he have a quick start through the line -- good overall quickness? I don't care as much about his 40-yard dash time, although I'm sure Kennedy can help him improve that. It seems like he could be a lot better than Dan Alexander -- all he had was straight-ahead speed but lacked quickness and cutting ability.

I had the opportunity to watch Cody during his high school career and he is very quick for a big man or a small man for that matter. That is what makes him so dangerous to defenses, he can run over you or he can be very elusive. You just never know what he is gonna do. He is a big back with little back feet.

Nameless and Eric, I have heard that this guy in high school had decent cutting ability besides his power. Is that true? Does he have a quick start through the line -- good overall quickness? I don't care as much about his 40-yard dash time, although I'm sure Kennedy can help him improve that. It seems like he could be a lot better than Dan Alexander -- all he had was straight-ahead speed but lacked quickness and cutting ability.

His play this season will do the talking. He's the most powerful back on the Nebraska roster this season in my opinion. I don't see him lower then 3rd string on the roster and in my opinion, could end up second string behind cory ross. He not only posses power, but he can kick himself into different gears depending on the situation and outrun his blocker. One thing i really think he will excell in will be pass blocking for Zac Taylor and covering his blindside.

His play this season will do the talking. He's the most powerful back on the Nebraska roster this season in my opinion. I don't see him lower then 3rd string on the roster and in my opinion, could end up second string behind cory ross. He not only posses power, but he can kick himself into different gears depending on the situation and outrun his blocker. One thing i really think he will excell in will be pass blocking for Zac Taylor and covering his blindside.

Nameless, Cody's name comes up more often than Lucky, Leon Jackson or anyone else. So that should tell us something on how good/impressive he has been..

I think your right, he could beat out both Lucky and Leon and maybe Brandon if he's not healthy.. If Brandon is healthy he keeps the # 2 spot. Still way too much to learn in such a short time for any of the new backs. IMO. With all the running plays and pass plays not to mention the blocking schemes..

If you don't have the blocking schemes down pretty good you won't see much action.. Coach Callahan said this himself a while back.

I think Norvell might disagree with you about whether he has picked up the offense or not huskers19941995 ;)

'C-train' hopes to hitch a ride with the Huskers

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

They called him "C-train" back home in Rusk, Texas, a sleepy village of 5,085.

His high school football coach, Wayne Mahaffey, said Cody Glenn can inflict about as much damage as a runaway locomotive.

"He doesn't mind the contact part of it," Mahaffey said. "When he hits you, he usually makes an impression."

The 6-foot, 230-pound Glenn, a Nebraska freshman I-back, has made an impression on Husker coaches during the infant stages of preseason camp. Husker offensive coordinator Jay Norvell on Tuesday said Glenn appears ready to play this season, although it's too early to pinpoint exactly how much and in what role.

As Nebraska pieced together its vaunted 2005 recruiting class, Glenn received less attention than two other running backs in the class — Marlon Lucky and Leon Jackson. That's changed in the past couple of weeks as Glenn flashed his power and speed.

Indeed, "C-train" has made his presence felt.

"I accidentally ran someone over in practice," Glenn said. "I forget who it was. But we just had (sweatclothes) and helmets on. Since we've put the pads on, I haven't had the opportunity yet. But I will before it's over and done."

Glenn, at least for now, envisions himself as someone who can rumble for tough gains inside the tackles in short-yardage situations. Make no mistake, though — he said wants to play I-back, not fullback.

Texas recruited Glenn as a fullback or linebacker, and he wasn't interested, Mahaffey said.

"He's a big, physical back, and he runs awfully hard," Norvell said. "He's starting to learn how to really work hard. He's learned that from (senior I-back) Cory Ross. Cory's been a great example in camp for our young backs.

"He's leaving a legacy with those young guys in how to practice and how to work."

Ross, who rushed for 1,102 yards and six touchdowns last season, appears set to reclaim his starting role, with the young backs supplying depth.

"Cory's more like a big brother to all of the new backs," Glenn said. "He helps us out. He draws up little plays and ways to remember stuff. He'll help us with anything we need."

Indeed, Glenn already seems comfortable with the physical part of the college game. After all, he bench-presses 350 pounds, squat-lifts 550 and consistently runs the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds, Mahaffey said.

It's the mental part of college football that is testing Glenn at the moment, specifically learning Nebraska's thick playbook and applying that knowledge during grueling practices, as temperatures soar well into the 90s.

"The heat ain't nothing — I'm from Texas," Glenn said. "It's the mental stuff. Once I get that down, I'll be fine. I don't think my running ability will be a problem. If I learn the playbook, I'll be able to make it out there on the field."

Glenn played halfback in a shotgun offense the past four years at Rusk High School and is a perfect fit for Nebraska's West Coast system, Mahaffey said. The coach described Glenn as a "workhorse."

Someday, Glenn would like to run the ball 30 times a game at Nebraska. But he understands he might have to be patient and wait his turn. In fact, he and Mahaffey already have discussed the need for patience. Because, all of a sudden, the Huskers have a lot of running backs in their stable.

"We have a lot of creativity in our offense to get people involved," Norvell said. "We'll find things that all these backs can do and give them some things they can do in a game, and we'll use them. If they're ready to play, we'll use them.

"Cody's a big, strong kid. He's a willing kid, and he's a smart guy. And guys like that can play early. We'll just see how he continues to progress."

Glenn was ranked as the nation's No. 28 high school prospect at running back last year. If he was slightly overlooked in the recruiting process, it might've been because he played in a small town, one known mostly for having a state mental hospital and a prison.

Mahaffey said some schools backed off on Glenn because he chose to wait until December to choose his college. He visited Kansas and also had offers from Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Christian and Oklahoma State, among others.

Whatever. Glenn didn't mind being somewhat overlooked. Didn't mind that Lucky was getting most of the recruiting hyperbole. Glenn said he knew that when he got his chance, his talent would show.

"The best player is going to eventually play," Glenn said. "If the coaches like what I do, I'll play."

So far, so good.

Meanwhile, Rusk's residents will continue to monitor Glenn's progress.

"It's a big thing here," Mahaffey said. "He's a very likable kid. Really, he's loved in this town."

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com

Link

I like this part the most:

"I accidentally ran someone over in practice," Glenn said. "I forget who it was. But we just had (sweatclothes) and helmets on. Since we've put the pads on, I haven't had the opportunity yet. But I will before it's over and done
I think Norvell might disagree with you about whether he has picked up the offense or not huskers19941995  ;)

'C-train' hopes to hitch a ride with the Huskers

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

They called him "C-train" back home in Rusk, Texas, a sleepy village of 5,085.

His high school football coach, Wayne Mahaffey, said Cody Glenn can inflict about as much damage as a runaway locomotive.

"He doesn't mind the contact part of it," Mahaffey said. "When he hits you, he usually makes an impression."

The 6-foot, 230-pound Glenn, a Nebraska freshman I-back, has made an impression on Husker coaches during the infant stages of preseason camp. Husker offensive coordinator Jay Norvell on Tuesday said Glenn appears ready to play this season, although it's too early to pinpoint exactly how much and in what role.

As Nebraska pieced together its vaunted 2005 recruiting class, Glenn received less attention than two other running backs in the class — Marlon Lucky and Leon Jackson. That's changed in the past couple of weeks as Glenn flashed his power and speed.

Indeed, "C-train" has made his presence felt.

"I accidentally ran someone over in practice," Glenn said. "I forget who it was. But we just had (sweatclothes) and helmets on. Since we've put the pads on, I haven't had the opportunity yet. But I will before it's over and done."

Glenn, at least for now, envisions himself as someone who can rumble for tough gains inside the tackles in short-yardage situations. Make no mistake, though — he said wants to play I-back, not fullback.

Texas recruited Glenn as a fullback or linebacker, and he wasn't interested, Mahaffey said.

"He's a big, physical back, and he runs awfully hard," Norvell said. "He's starting to learn how to really work hard. He's learned that from (senior I-back) Cory Ross. Cory's been a great example in camp for our young backs.

"He's leaving a legacy with those young guys in how to practice and how to work."

Ross, who rushed for 1,102 yards and six touchdowns last season, appears set to reclaim his starting role, with the young backs supplying depth.

"Cory's more like a big brother to all of the new backs," Glenn said. "He helps us out. He draws up little plays and ways to remember stuff. He'll help us with anything we need."

Indeed, Glenn already seems comfortable with the physical part of the college game. After all, he bench-presses 350 pounds, squat-lifts 550 and consistently runs the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds, Mahaffey said.

It's the mental part of college football that is testing Glenn at the moment, specifically learning Nebraska's thick playbook and applying that knowledge during grueling practices, as temperatures soar well into the 90s.

"The heat ain't nothing — I'm from Texas," Glenn said. "It's the mental stuff. Once I get that down, I'll be fine. I don't think my running ability will be a problem. If I learn the playbook, I'll be able to make it out there on the field."

Glenn played halfback in a shotgun offense the past four years at Rusk High School and is a perfect fit for Nebraska's West Coast system, Mahaffey said. The coach described Glenn as a "workhorse."

Someday, Glenn would like to run the ball 30 times a game at Nebraska. But he understands he might have to be patient and wait his turn. In fact, he and Mahaffey already have discussed the need for patience. Because, all of a sudden, the Huskers have a lot of running backs in their stable.

"We have a lot of creativity in our offense to get people involved," Norvell said. "We'll find things that all these backs can do and give them some things they can do in a game, and we'll use them. If they're ready to play, we'll use them.

"Cody's a big, strong kid. He's a willing kid, and he's a smart guy. And guys like that can play early. We'll just see how he continues to progress."

Glenn was ranked as the nation's No. 28 high school prospect at running back last year. If he was slightly overlooked in the recruiting process, it might've been because he played in a small town, one known mostly for having a state mental hospital and a prison.

Mahaffey said some schools backed off on Glenn because he chose to wait until December to choose his college. He visited Kansas and also had offers from Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Christian and Oklahoma State, among others.

Whatever. Glenn didn't mind being somewhat overlooked. Didn't mind that Lucky was getting most of the recruiting hyperbole. Glenn said he knew that when he got his chance, his talent would show.

"The best player is going to eventually play," Glenn said. "If the coaches like what I do, I'll play."

So far, so good.

Meanwhile, Rusk's residents will continue to monitor Glenn's progress.

"It's a big thing here," Mahaffey said. "He's a very likable kid. Really, he's loved in this town."

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com

Link

I like this part the most:

"I accidentally ran someone over in practice," Glenn said. "I forget who it was. But we just had (sweatclothes) and helmets on. Since we've put the pads on, I haven't had the opportunity yet. But I will before it's over and done

Well see when the Wake Forest and Pitt game comes around and Cody's head (among other newcomers heads) are spinning from all of the schemes on defense these teams are throwing against NU's offense... ;)

I'm not saying Cody won't do well. He could be #2 or # 3 on the RB chart but I just don't think he'll be at the top right away. It will take time just like it did for Brandon. This is just my opinion though, it will be fun to watch it all play out.

I don't know who that big back was, but y'all really got something in Cody Glenn. Not only is he capable of doing great things on the field he is a class act off the field as well. Rusk, Tx will miss him greatly in both respects, but we wish him well and we will definitly be rooting for the Huskers now. (as I said before exept when they play the Aggies. We still hope Cody has a good day though)