Scary Movie Megathread - Reviews, Recommendations, and Rants!

i just caught the shining on satellite for the first time this weekend. im pained to admit that it actually made me laugh more than it scared me. most of all it was boring as hell.

ive never been into scary movies, but i definitely agree about The Hills Have Eyes... that fah-reeked me out.

Question - did you see the original or the remake?

whatever the one with jack nicholson is. :dunno

I don't know if this movie really fits in here, but has anyone seen the trailers for "Legion"?

Here's the skinny on it:

An out-of-the-way diner becomes the unlikely battleground for the survival of the human race. When God loses faith in Mankind, he sends his legion of angels to bring on the Apocalypse. Humanity's only hope lies in a group of strangers trapped in a desert diner and the Archangel Michael.

The angels look really freaky in the trailers.

Take a look for yourself

Anytime it is based on actual events usally makes it a good movie.

Good take. That pretty much explains which horror movies I like and which ones I dislike. The ones that at least APPEAR real or that are extremely realistic usually scare me the most. Mockumentary/1st person camera films are the best for me.

Fantasy creatures (Jeepers Creepers, for example) don't do it.

Agreed. Jeepers Creepers was easily one of the worst movies I've seen in the last 10 years. Not even slightly scary . . . or entertaining.

I don't know if this movie really fits in here, but has anyone seen the trailers for "Legion"?

Um, I'd say it fits. Look at grandma!

post-7093-1262809823.png

Agreed. Jeepers Creepers was easily one of the worst movies I've seen in the last 10 years. Not even slightly scary . . . or entertaining.

The thing about JC was I was getting genuinely freaked out in the beginning, when there was this massive creepy looking truck stalking these people. Then, (SPOILERS) when the dragon-beast thing popped out of it eventually, it just became hilarious. And of course now there are a few sequels.... :dunno

Um, I'd say it fits. Look at grandma!

post-7093-1262809823.png

Yeah, that old lady is definitely freaky, especially when she's jumping around the room. The part where the angels arms grow really long was creepy too.

The Others kind of creeped me out.

I'm also REALLY creeped out by children in scary movies. Something about scary or screaming children that gets to me. The Haunting....and the ghost children screaming her name, gave me chills.

The Japanese originals of the American remakes are usually much better; Ringu, Ju-on, and whatever that cell phone movie remake was recently...One Missed Call? I think the original was Chakushin ari.

Oldboy is a great movie too...but I don't know if you'd classify that as a horror/thriller.

Silence of the Lambs (and Red Dragon)...because I love Anthony Hopkins

The Cell....only because I went in thinking the fantasy/in the mind sequences would be creepy and I was actually more creeped out by the real world scenes.

I personally like the slasher horror flicks. I like it when they use raw materials, or body molds and try to make it look real instead of CGI.

If you like stuff like that, like I do, check out 'Laid to Rest'. Totally freaky, and make me go OH CRAP THAT'S DISGUSTING BUT AWESOME!

laidtorest.jpg

Also, the new Friday the 13th was fantastic. The opening scenes before the title credits seem like a quick horror flick in itself.

friday-the-13th-poster-2.jpg

Psychological thrillers just don't do it for me. I find most of them boring, and predictable. Give me a sweet kill scene, like a knife going through a door into someones face and I get all giddy!

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of, if not THE best horror flick i have ever seen. Check it out if you haven't.

I remember only a few really scary movies..

When I was in grade school.."The return of Count Yogur"

There were a group of 6-8 female vampires slowly walking toward their victim and after the movie, there was a group of 6-8 girls following us home.

I also remember something I saw on B&W TV..Dark Shadows? Twilight Zone? where these flying oysters would suck your brains out of your eye sockets.

The Exorcist scared me so much, I never even went to go see it.

Then..Fast Fwd to My 2nd trip to Phoenix to visit my Brother after I graduated HS..We all went to the "world premier" of Alien...I never even heard of the movie and forgot the name of it after getting the tickets...Only to have my Sister-in-Law scream and jump in my seat when the cute little critter jumped out that android's chest.

More recently, I was reading Huskerboard a few months ago with the TV on and Jeepers Creepers and the sequel to it came on...My Son hasnt slept in his own bed since.

I've had the "Saw" movies recommended to me by a co-worker, but after living through and then, watching a few highlights from "the Callihan Years at UNL"..I'm still too freightened. :ahhhhhhhh

Am I the only idiot that wasted 3 hours of my life that I will never get back watching The Village?

I was so pissed off when that movie was over. I couldn't stop watching it cause I was sure it would get better at some point. :steam

I actually really liked The Village...I thought it was his best film. But I'm hit or miss with him. I hated Signs, loved The Village, liked Lady in the Water, was indifferent to The Happening...

I thought the acting was great in The Village and the film just looked beautiful (ie. the playing with the colors). For an actress (Bryce Dallas Howard) who hadn't done a lot before this, she did great. It kept me on the edge of my seat and even though I thought the ending was a bit of a let down...I didn't guess it before-hand, so at least it was a surprise. Kind of made me smack myself for being on the edge of my seat for so long.

Am I the only idiot that wasted 3 hours of my life that I will never get back watching The Village?

I was so pissed off when that movie was over. I couldn't stop watching it cause I was sure it would get better at some point. :steam

I actually really liked The Village...I thought it was his best film. But I'm hit or miss with him. I hated Signs, loved The Village, liked Lady in the Water, was indifferent to The Happening...

I thought the acting was great in The Village and the film just looked beautiful (ie. the playing with the colors). For an actress (Bryce Dallas Howard) who hadn't done a lot before this, she did great. It kept me on the edge of my seat and even though I thought the ending was a bit of a let down...I didn't guess it before-hand, so at least it was a surprise. Kind of made me smack myself for being on the edge of my seat for so long.

Ok, everything you stated about the movie is true. I guess it was the previews of the movie that made me mad. I went into the movie thinking I was going to see the creatures in the forest all through out the movie, not just for 30 seconds.