We Have a shot at a Top 25 recruting class.

I don't really care if the class is top 25 or not. I'm way more concerned what the coaches do with the talent brought in. I'll take Pelini's evaluation of talent and work ethic over a recruiting site any day.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure this years Texas starters from their recruiting class a few years ago owned ours from a couple of years back in terms of where they were ranked recruiting class wise. I love getting excited about recruiting but I think everyone forgets (see Ohio State as a year in year out example) that top notched recruiting classes do NOT equal year in year out success and/or National Championships. Pretty sure Oklahoma's recruiting class from the team we beat this year probably owned our's from a couple of years ago as well.

When was the last team that won a championship that DIDN'T have a top 5 recruiting class recently... They may not translate into success immediately, but the teams that are getting them sure seem pretty solid on the field as well. JUST SAYING.

So are you saying we have to have a top ranked recruiting class in order to win a National Championship? I think I know what my answer is anyway. Look back at our National championships. I don't remember a time when Nebraska's recruiting class, even in our glory days was routinely considered to be top five or even in the top 10 for that matter. If you want to make your judgment of how good a team is based solely on how well ranked their recruiting class is by all means please do so.

This year's defense will rank as one of the best ever at Nebraska and arguably one of the best if not the best defense in all of college football this year and I'm pretty sure no one was expecting this if one were to only look at how our recent recruiting classes have been ranked. People have an obsession with rankings and lists and instead they competely forget about coaching, passion and player development all of which are intangibles that cannot be ranked.

Osborne brought in talent. Our recruiting classes were highly reguarded when he was here. The reason everyone makes this argument is because he always downplayed the hype as does Bo.

:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah

And stating that Osborne downplayed our recruiting classes is stating the painfully obvious! When did Osborne ever hype anything???? If you're going to talk about needing a highly ranked recruiting class to achieve success then I'm still not understanding your point. Of course Osborne brought in talent. Of course he downplayed it! That was his style and that's Pelini's style. He did not bring in highly ranked powerhouse recruiting classes on a regular basis however which is entirely my point.

I am not at all saying that to be competitive you need a highly reguarded class.

I will try to compile a list of all the HS All Americans that he brought in. You might be surprized.

I don't really care if the class is top 25 or not. I'm way more concerned what the coaches do with the talent brought in. I'll take Pelini's evaluation of talent and work ethic over a recruiting site any day.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure this years Texas starters from their recruiting class a few years ago owned ours from a couple of years back in terms of where they were ranked recruiting class wise. I love getting excited about recruiting but I think everyone forgets (see Ohio State as a year in year out example) that top notched recruiting classes do NOT equal year in year out success and/or National Championships. Pretty sure Oklahoma's recruiting class from the team we beat this year probably owned our's from a couple of years ago as well.

When was the last team that won a championship that DIDN'T have a top 5 recruiting class recently... They may not translate into success immediately, but the teams that are getting them sure seem pretty solid on the field as well. JUST SAYING.

So are you saying we have to have a top ranked recruiting class in order to win a National Championship? I think I know what my answer is anyway. Look back at our National championships. I don't remember a time when Nebraska's recruiting class, even in our glory days was routinely considered to be top five or even in the top 10 for that matter. If you want to make your judgment of how good a team is based solely on how well ranked their recruiting class is by all means please do so.

This year's defense will rank as one of the best ever at Nebraska and arguably one of the best if not the best defense in all of college football this year and I'm pretty sure no one was expecting this if one were to only look at how our recent recruiting classes have been ranked. People have an obsession with rankings and lists and instead they competely forget about coaching, passion and player development all of which are intangibles that cannot be ranked.

Osborne brought in talent. Our recruiting classes were highly reguarded when he was here. The reason everyone makes this argument is because he always downplayed the hype as does Bo.

And stating that Osborne downplayed our recruiting classes is stating the painfully obvious! When did Osborne ever hype anything???? If you're going to talk about needing a highly ranked recruiting class to achieve success then I'm still not understanding your point. Of course Osborne brought in talent. Of course he downplayed it! That was his style and that's Pelini's style. He did not bring in highly ranked powerhouse recruiting classes on a regular basis however which is entirely my point.

I am not at all saying that to be competitive you need a highly reguarded class.

I will try to compile a list of all the HS All Americans that he brought in. You might be surprized.

Actually I think seeing a list like that would be cool. I don't think I'd be surprised. I remember looking at and keeping track of how well or not so well our recruiting classes were ranked back then also. I'd get real disappointed if we didn't land a certain guy or if Oklahoma would have an incredibly ranked class and we did not. In the end though as I've said before just because were not in the top 10 or 15 even recruiting class ranking's wise you can still field a great, great team.

Actually I think seeing a list like that would be cool. I don't think I'd be surprised. I remember looking at and keeping track of how well or not so well our recruiting classes were ranked back then also. I'd get real disappointed if we didn't land a certain guy or if Oklahoma would have an incredibly ranked class and we did not. In the end though as I've said before just because were not in the top 10 or 15 even recruiting class ranking's wise you can still field a great, great team.

Agreed. Here is a link provided for SOME historical recruiting classes we have had.

http://64.131.67.10/vbbs/showthread.php?t=63328

Agreed. Here is a link provided for SOME historical recruiting classes we have had.

http://64.131.67.10/vbbs/showthread.php?t=63328

Thanks for the link EZ-E. Very cool.

Actually, we regularly had a top 15 recruiting class during our glory days, we could pick anyone we wanted basically. Thats what made the walk-on program so heralded, because they could play with the cream of the crop in terms of recruits an earn playing time as a walk-on.

Also, I hate to say it, but most if not all of the players on this year's defense were Callahan recruits. I'm just saying that there is a place for recruiting rankings.

I am by no means saying they should be followed to every last period or dot on the i, but they are a good GENERAL REPRESENTATION of a class' strength IMO.

Bo took the talent the Callahan brought in and they had the 118th best defense in one category two years ago.

Bo won the scoring title this year. They showed the stats during the holiday bowl. Very impressive.

We had games where 70 points was being dropped on us. Callahan had a great class in 2005 but had no idea how to coach it up.

Texas scored 21 with a true freshman with jizz on his pants for most of the NC game. 4 turnovers too. Player from Texas and VT both stated NU was a better defense than BAMA this year. BAMA was considered by the pundits to be the best defense. To be in the top 3 overall this year with what we had under Callahan, just goes to show that Bo knows his stuff.

You can state they were Callahan recruits but please when you do, remind everyone that his recruits were getting 70 plus points dropped on them. Bo changed that in two short years. Now it is on to continuing with his system.