Bill Callahan's job secure after this season

g_callahan_i.jpg

While there is a lot of talk about the status and uncertainty of the next group of head coaches, don't get your hopes up regarding their respective job security. Are these coaches vulnerable? Yes. But not nearly as vulnerable as some would like to think. In other words, it would take a major meltdown, on and off the field, for any of the following coaches not to return for the 2006 season

Bill Callahan, Nebraska

Callahan is the least secure of this group, but do not expect him to go anywhere following the 2005 season. Cornhusker nation is understandably fuming after a five-win, bowl-less 2004 season. But what did everyone expect from the first-year coach who was scrapping 100 years of power-option in order to bring the program into the new millennium?

When Callahan took the job, both he and the administration knew it was going to be a long-term project. They also knew that it would come under heavy scrutiny from outraged fans. Let's face it: Transitioning Nebraska's offense to the West Coast scheme is college football's equivalent of turning Rush Limbaugh liberal. That is why it would be an embarrassingly cowardly act for the administration to turn its back on Callahan after just two seasons.

Callahan needs at least three recruiting classes before he has the proper athletes to run his West Coast offense. He already has a feature back in Cory Ross and was able to find a triggerman in Zac Taylor via the juco route. With a full year already under his belt, Callahan now has been able to adjust his NFL scheme to the college ranks. He also has his players understanding the new schemes and is able to focus more on team chemistry.

Nebraska should win at least six games in 2004 and will be competitive in the Big 12 North race. That won't be enough to soothe Cornhusker fans, but it will be enough to earn Callahan what he deserves, which is at least a third season to prove himself.

Rest of the article Link

the coaches he has on the list are not really in that much trouble in my opinion. Look at some of the coaches that have coached at the same place for a while... mike belotti... he has the talent... he needs to win this year joe paterno... he changed things around but he might be too old... those guys are on the hot seat hot callahan, shula, and the others... at least the seat isnt burning up right now

It has to be a very difficult job trying to revamp the whole program.After 1 full year you start hearing that your job security is in jeopardy. I guess that is where we are with the coaches in college football. I honestly think that Callahan will have a little extra time with this because he was Petersons first coach. IMO seven wins or more, shouldnt be too hard this year.

Even though I was extremely disappointed with the outcome of the season last year, I believe he will get the athletes he needs to run the offense and get NU back to where it once was for so long. I can't imagine how difficult it was last year to piece together players to run the WCO when they were there to run the option offense...better him then me. I hope they get more than 6 wins and a bowl bid this year!!!

He should at least get what FS did 5 years to sink or swim faster :)

Agreed five years minimum, i mean you have to have a chance to bring in some recruiting classes and make it your team. BC has balls coming to NU knowing how outrageously NUTZ the Husker Nation is with expectations. He either believes he can do it or he loves pissing off millions of fans and being chased out of Nebraska by a columbine and a an angry mob of farmers with pitchforks