Milt Tenopir consulting with Cotton on OL schemes?

Nexus

I lurk at another Husker forum and thought this was interesting. The person who brought it up is a board Moderator close to insider sources, so take it to mean whatever? :dunno

The gist of the convo at that board is the collaborative efforts being led by Bo with help from T.O., Milt, Cotton & Watson.

Just thought I'd bring this up and perhaps spark some good discussion here at Huskerboard about it. It's all a guessing game from where we stand, but fun nonetheless.

If the above is true, what does this say about where our offense might be headed?

Doesn't necessarily say anything about where the offense is heading, just maybe helping out where it's already been. The way we ran the option last year any help from the "old guard" would be useful.

Yeah, that could be. Another guess may be that they're revisiting the old power running blocking schemes?

If there was anything to be learned from the UT/Bama game, it was Bama's ability to push 2 separate rushers into 100+ yd. games against the nations #1 rushing defense.

Solution: Contact Milt Tenopir ASAP and revisit the old power running scheme. Maybe Cotton needed a refresher course? :dunno

It just doesn't seem like Cotton understands angles as well as some other OL coaches. I just keep looking at KSU's rushing game this season and in one season with half the athletes we have, aside from Thomas, they were twice as good as us. I don't care if we were banged up on the OL the run blocking was flat out terrible. It really wasn't even all that good last year with the guys we had on the line. I think Cotton does a good job at getting the guys to play physical and have a tough mind but that only goes so far. I made a post last year about Cotton just trying to get the guys to be tougher first then he would go more toward a teacher instead of a motivator and it doesn't look like that's happened so far. I think Bama showed that to win NC's you have to be able to run when teams know you're going to run and they have 8-9 guys in the box. I also think to do that you have to have two things: unique/better angles blocking wise and a back who can read the whole and break one tackle. This last season we rarely had one happen.

Rumors, etc. Who knows for sure. But without a doubt this coaching staff is not afraid to explore and look back and ask successful former coaches for help. Unlike the former coaching regime this group does not think they "know it all" and force their schemes down everybody's throats. It is the strong point on this current staff along with the team first mentality that they have instilled. You can say all you want about Barney but he is on board. No doubt the o line needs some improvment and you can bet that nobody knows it more than Barney. He's workin his butt off to make that happen.

Rumors, etc. Who knows for sure. But without a doubt this coaching staff is not afraid to explore and look back and ask successful former coaches for help. Unlike the former coaching regime this group does not think they "know it all" and force their schemes down everybody's throats. It is the strong point on this current staff along with the team first mentality that they have instilled. You can say all you want about Barney but he is on board. No doubt the o line needs some improvment and you can bet that nobody knows it more than Barney. He's workin his butt off to make that happen.

I agree. If this is true, it's nice to see the coaches get together and bring in some other offensive minds to try to find a blocking scheme that works better.

Doesn't necessarily say anything about where the offense is heading, just maybe helping out where it's already been. The way we ran the option last year any help from the "old guard" would be useful.

Yeah, that could be. Another guess may be that they're revisiting the old power running blocking schemes?

If there was anything to be learned from the UT/Bama game, it was Bama's ability to push 2 separate rushers into 100+ yd. games against the nations #1 rushing defense.

Solution: Contact Milt Tenopir ASAP and revisit the old power running scheme. Maybe Cotton needed a refresher course? :dunno

it wasn't cotton who needed the course a certain short bus shawn needed a kick in balls and his face beat with a book by milt to explain why he fails as a OC.

Who knows for sure.......Tenopir was also very good at avoiding the rebuild. He could just plug in the next guy with very little drop off in performance, and the O line stayed consistently good. I would say that some pretty good coaching.

Spot on adc. Even if the guy wasn't your perfect specimen or a guy who went on to gain All-Conference honors, the guys that Coach Tenopir plugged in could play with the rest of the line. Those lines played as a unit, period. I don't see an O-line that plays as a unit these days. I don't pretend to know the reason why, but that certainly needs to change.

it wasn't cotton who needed the course a certain short bus shawn needed a kick in balls and his face beat with a book by milt to explain why he fails as a OC.

"Nothing" could make me happier than Uncle Milt kicking SW back to sCUm and helping Cotton build a real-deal Pancake OLine.

"Nothing" could make me happier than Uncle Milt kicking SW back to sCUm and helping Cotton build a real-deal Pancake OLine.

This is a good alternative to firing coaches. If you have deficiencies, and the stats clearly point out what those are, than you look for ways to improve, one way is through education, and despite being at this level, Cottons not too old to learn from Milt or someone else....The NU Program is a cash cow, the Univ should not fear spending money on coaching consultants as an alternative to firing, doing nothing.

Coaching chemistry is important as team chemistry, if the offense or def has an image problem due to performance, than you must analyse the parts of the system by looking at those with an input function into its execution.

Providing you believe you have good chemistry, and you want to keep it, then the best way to improve productivity is to bring in talent to augment the performance of those with functional input.

Was wondering why Will Shields isnt Consulted, he played at the highest levels since day 1...bring him and others in who can help give players confidence in technique, sorta like finishing formula.

Suh got some help from some former players, and this is a very big part of this rejuvinated program. The guys from the past teams and our overall winning traditions, can and should make their unique contributions.....

Former players, coaches, fans...all working together....= Program chemistry which sets apart the best from the rest..

This is a good alternative to firing coaches. If you have deficiencies, and the stats clearly point out what those are, than you look for ways to improve, one way is through education, and despite being at this level, Cottons not too old to learn from Milt or someone else....The NU Program is a cash cow, the Univ should not fear spending money on coaching consultants as an alternative to firing, doing nothing.

Coaching chemistry is important as team chemistry, if the offense or def has an image problem due to performance, than you must analyse the parts of the system by looking at those with an input function into its execution.

Providing you believe you have good chemistry, and you want to keep it, then the best way to improve productivity is to bring in talent to augment the performance of those with functional input.

Was wondering why Will Shields isnt Consulted, he played at the highest levels since day 1...bring him and others in who can help give players confidence in technique, sorta like finishing formula.

Suh got some help from some former players, and this is a very big part of this rejuvinated program. The guys from the past teams and our overall winning traditions, can and should make their unique contributions.....

Former players, coaches, fans...all working together....= Program chemistry which sets apart the best from the rest..

Nice post. :thumbs

I like this post. I keep getting the feeling that our program is now operating under the very best of management styles; "I don't care who gets the credit, it's all about finding the best solution." I think this speaks highly of all of our coaches, but most especially the sentiments coming from the top.

This doesn't change the fact that I get riled up about individual coaches (Wats, Cotton)... but I guess at the end of the day, I have to admit that the staff does appear to be functioning as a 'unit' as well.

Haven't seen that in a very long time.