Roy Helu Jr. running style

Fuzzy

I can fix that,

We all know that Roy Helu Jr. was outstanding in 2008, he was fast, agile, and went airborne a few times and got away with it.

But if i remember correctly, after the Gator Bowl win over Clemson, Roy said that winter conditioning for him would be a transformation period for him to become more of a power back like his counterpart Castille. I believe Roy wanted to add a few of muscle and begin pounding the ball through the trenches and blend it with his speed and quick moves.

Now, I can give Roy Helu Jr. some lax because he was injured and had to put up with a bad shoulder. But I'm not looking at his productivity. Im looking at his running style, i must say, I'm not very impressed with it.

It seems pretty apparent that times when Roy would have used his quick moves and speed to get around the defender in front him, he rather much just ran straight into them, much like Castille did.

So im wondering, what you do as Husker fans think. Should Roy stay with the power back running style that he has taken on. Or should he go back to the slash and burn running style that he had back in 2008? Or do you even see a running style change in Roy Helu Jr.?

I think his injury had more to do with it than anything. He showed his bounce and moves at the beginning of the year I thought, and also a little more nose for contact, which he did lack the prior year. I didnt think his physicality was overdone by any means. Personally, I think Roy's role is going to be greatly reduced going forward. I was never overly impressed with him to begin with, either style. I just hope he, and the rest of the running backs, can stay healthy next year. Injury or not, from the offense shown, players used and spark shown down the stretch and at the holiday bowl, and Watson's comments afterwards, I see Roy getting 3-5 touches a game next year, tops. Or at least, thats what I hope...I really really hope Roy is truly not the best talent we have going into next year at running back.

Doesn't matter which one he chooses, he will not be the main back anymore. He runs like a sissy because he is hurt, we will just have another "well he was healthy for two games", needs to limited on carries and then maybe you will the see the "old Roy." But until then he will hobblin fumblin Roy, with the occasional big run.

Roy runs like a sissy? Please. People forget because he disappeared down the stretch due to injury (disappeared - well, he played a bunch in spite of it), but Roy was a monster this year, just like he was last year. I wasn't able to catch a lot of the games last year so I can't compare running style, but Roy has vision, runs like a crazy man, and I'm glad he's our #1 tailback.

You guys are being blatantly and inappropriately harsh on the guy.

Back on topic, when Roy was completely healthy, I think his running style was even better this year. The VT game is a good example, still had plenty of the same speed and gashing/slashing that we've come to know but he could lower the shoulder as well.

If he can be healthy (I don't know if it's possible), the guy will make a career for himself in the league, no doubt in my mind.

Roy runs like a sissy? Please. People forget because he disappeared down the stretch due to injury (disappeared - well, he played a bunch in spite of it), but Roy was a monster this year, just like he was last year. I wasn't able to catch a lot of the games last year so I can't compare running style, but Roy has vision, runs like a crazy man, and I'm glad he's our #1 tailback.

:yeah

Back on topic, when Roy was completely healthy, I think his running style was even better this year. The VT game is a good example, still had plenty of the same speed and gashing/slashing that we've come to know but he could lower the shoulder as well.

See, thats whay im saying, i just don't know if Roy Helu is capable to be that type of back that Castille was. The lower your shoulder type of guy, or carry 3-4 defenders on your back while you keep moving your legs for more yardage. Rex Burkhead is that type of back and a slasher/burner.

I guess what im suggesting is leave the slashing and burning to Helu Jr. and when he is tired, or its 3rd down, give the ball to Rex Burkhead.

kool-aid abounds...Im sorry, but Roy is an average, serviceable COLLEGE running back. Nothing more, nothing less...but since hes the best we've had over the last couple of years, he gets some sort of free pass from people.

Who would you compare him to?

Marlon Lucky? Kenny Wilson? Cody Glenn? Brandon Jackson? Cory Ross?

My pick would be Brandon Jackson. That is the closest i can identify Helu Jr. to.

He is better than Lucky, Wilson and Glenn. Not nearly as good as Ross.

If Helu Jr. has a stellar senior year, I might put him in the category of Ross, I'll just look at his junior year as a minor hiccup.