Three Game Series with Boise State

bbeerma2

But we're not finishing at the same time. I (the uphill runner) am finishing behind you by some amount (say my time is equivalent to a 9-4 or 10-3 record). You are finishing ahead of me by some amount(14-0). So the only way you can tell whose run was more impressive is to consult the computer rankings and pollsters, who both take the marathon course difficulty (SOS) into consideration. This year, the pollsters and computers generally agreed that you ran the 4th best marathon in the country, which is impressive. And again, they took course difficulty into consideration when deciding this. Therefore, we have every good reason to believe that Boise St. (the flat, shady course runner in the marathon analogy) is legitimately a top five team, all things considered.

It's easier to compare them to Alabama than us. Both finished 14-0, but 'Bama played a far more difficult schedule and was given a shot at the title, while Boise running their shady course got the also-ran bowl. Then all of your analogy extension fits, and meshes nicely with my analogy. We're analogous! :w00t

Oh, I would never be silly enough to argue Boise's case against Alabama. Even the majority of Boise fans (or players, if you saw the Fiesta trophy presentation) would not go that far. I wasn't trying to say Boise should have been a national title contender last year, just that they were (and have been for several years) a legitimate top ten program in college football, who deserves to be respected as such.

The question is really, why didn't we accept to play them in 2011? Again, strength of opponents is not an excuse because we have the same type schedule in 2016 (and a tough one in 2015 as well). Money shouldn't be a big deal, because we make close to $5M with a home game, and Boise is only asking $900K-1M. That's not much more than we paid NMSU a couple years back ($825K). So that appears to be the biggest mystery here... why did we avoid the game Boise really needed in 2011?

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with not wanting to get beat by them. Bo is still installing his team, and may not have it fully going by 2011, while BSU already has theirs up and running full steam.

Another issue could be the presumption that Boise will lose Chris Petersen to another school between now and 2015, making that game a LOT easier.

I hate to infer that we're afraid, but I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't play a role.

I have to say I completely agree (from the evidence revealed thus far). I'm glad you came out and said it, because I hadn't quite built up the courage to do so yet ;) Considering Kellen Moore will be a senior in 2011, and our offensive situation for then is still murky, we apparently would just rather not. Which sucks, because the crowd would be electric, Gameday would probably show up (apparently ESPN wanted to get involved when this deal was first proposed) and I think we'd have a great chance to win.

JTrain, look at the pic on your sig. Does that look like the face of fear? the face of "we won't play you b/c we don't wanna get beat by you"?

There is a rumor (which I personally find believable) that ESPN was willing to "pay the difference" in order to help Boise St. find a quality opponent for 9/3/11, as long as ESPN got to broadcast the game in the timeslot they wanted. This means that, if Nebraska only wanted to pay $700K, but Boise demanded $1M, ESPN would pay Boise the $300K difference in order to get the deal signed.

If you read the article it said we dont have an open date on Sept 3rd we already play a game on Sept 4th so that is why we are not playing Boise State next year it has nothing to do with Money for next year!!

I think the open date in question is for the 2011 season, not this upcoming season (2010).

But we're not finishing at the same time. I (the uphill runner) am finishing behind you by some amount (say my time is equivalent to a 9-4 or 10-3 record). You are finishing ahead of me by some amount(14-0). So the only way you can tell whose run was more impressive is to consult the computer rankings and pollsters, who both take the marathon course difficulty (SOS) into consideration. This year, the pollsters and computers generally agreed that you ran the 4th best marathon in the country, which is impressive. And again, they took course difficulty into consideration when deciding this. Therefore, we have every good reason to believe that Boise St. (the flat, shady course runner in the marathon analogy) is legitimately a top five team, all things considered.

It's easier to compare them to Alabama than us. Both finished 14-0, but 'Bama played a far more difficult schedule and was given a shot at the title, while Boise running their shady course got the also-ran bowl. Then all of your analogy extension fits, and meshes nicely with my analogy. We're analogous! :w00t

Oh, I would never be silly enough to argue Boise's case against Alabama. Even the majority of Boise fans (or players, if you saw the Fiesta trophy presentation) would not go that far. I wasn't trying to say Boise should have been a national title contender last year, just that they were (and have been for several years) a legitimate top ten program in college football, who deserves to be respected as such.

Someone kind of mentioned this earlier. How many "top 10" programs seat 30K? That pinpoints the major difference. So NU is supposed to go play at a teeny-tiney stadium, give up a home date, and pay BSU 1M or whateever? They want to be perceived as big time (even though they're not) when it comes to scheduling, but they want to get paid like a FCS team. I"m surprised VTech took the bait.

• Fire 1

Sorry no link, but I just had a BSU fan call me to tell me to get some seats ready for 2015 cause it is a done deal. Hopefully he is right lol

I kinda hope so. With all the sh*t they've been talking, I would love nothing more than to see the 'Skers pound those little blue smurfies into fairy dust.

Sorry no link, but I just had a BSU fan call me to tell me to get some seats ready for 2015 cause it is a done deal. Hopefully he is right lol

By 2015 Chris Peterson will be a distant memory and Boise will be relegated back to the status of a Sun Belt team.

Well, maybe. But most people thought they'd fall off when Koetter (.722 win pct) left after 2000, and again when Hawkins (.828) left after 2005. Petersen is at .924. The next guy will have to be around 1.000 to continue the trend. chuckleshuffle

By 2015 Chris Peterson will be a distant memory and Boise will be relegated back to the status of a Sun Belt team.

Well, maybe. But most people thought they'd fall off when Koetter (.722 win pct) left after 2000, and again when Hawkins (.828) left after 2005. Petersen is at .924. The next guy will have to be around 1.000 to continue the trend. chuckleshuffle

Winning percentages are nice, but they haven't had success on a national stage until recently under Hawkins, and specifically under Petersen.

Winning percentages are nice, but they haven't had success on a national stage until recently under Hawkins, and specifically under Petersen.

Perhaps, but the expectation that they'd fall apart has been there after the last 2 guys left, just as you stated your expectation regarding Petersen.

The big difference for the program is the BCS changed to let them in. They've been good enough to get their coaches hired at decent BCS schools (Houston Nutt preceded Koetter, so 3 in a row). I'm not convinced Petersen will leave, but if he does, their history says they'll maintain a good presence as a program. If we play them, I hope they are as big as it's possible for Boise State to get. More bang for the Huskers when they put the slobberknocker on 'em.

Perhaps, but the expectation that they'd fall apart has been there after the last 2 guys left, just as you stated your expectation regarding Petersen.

The big difference for the program is the BCS changed to let them in. They've been good enough to get their coaches hired at decent BCS schools (Houston Nutt preceded Koetter, so 3 in a row). I'm not convinced Petersen will leave, but if he does, their history says they'll maintain a good presence as a program. If we play them, I hope they are as big as it's possible for Boise State to get. More bang for the Huskers when they put the slobberknocker on 'em.

We'll see if Petersen stays. It's not a destination school, as Nutt, Koetter and Hawkins have shown. I agree that I'd like them to be as highly-ranked/touted as possible when we smash them to bits. More prestige for us that way.