Women Beat #9 Baylor in Waco

WACO, Texas — Barely an hour before Sunday’s Nebraska-Baylor women’s basketball team, most of the lights in the Ferrell Center were victimized by a power outage.

Three hours later, the ninth-ranked Bears suffered the same fate at the hands of No. 11 Nebraska, which went on a 17-6 run in the final 7:42 to post a 65-56 victory for its first true road win against a top-10 opponent.

By ending Baylor’s 14-game home winning streak, the Huskers improved to 16-0 overall and 3-0 in the Big 12. Baylor fell to 14-3 and 1-2.

NU, which led 31-26 at halftime but played from behind throughout most of the second half, got a three-pointer by senior forward Cory Montgomery to go up 52-50 with 7:12 to play, and never gave up that advantage.

Senior guard Vonnie Turner hit six of 14 three-pointers en route to finishing with a game-high 22 points.

linkage

Great win for the Lady Huskers!! This team is the real deal. I have never been much of a womens basketball fan. Just a much different game that I can't get into. But I have been to a few games this year (LSU was one) and watched them today. They are putting a really good product on the court. A very high level of basketball. These girls are fun to watch.

Congrats ladies and keep on rolling!!

I've gone to two games at the Bob already this year. This team just continues to exceed expectations.

Kelsey Griffin is great and all, and a lot of fun to watch, but I go to the games to see Vonnie Turner. That girl is lightning in a bottle. Last year against Florida she got beat by the FLA point guard on the way up the court. The FLA player apparently thought Turner was out of the play... until Vonnie came streaking up behind her and stole the ball, then went the other way for a layup (I believe).

This year has just been a lot of fun to watch. The Big XII is a pretty tough conference, so it's awfully cool that we're 16-0. Not counting the Baylor game we're #4 in RPI, so with this win I can't imagine we wouldn't be in the top ten next time the polls come out.

This team is for real, and a lot of fun. Get out to the Bob and watch them. What else are you going to do this crappy winter?