Legitimate Concern???

Really think that the offense we saw in '08 is the offense we will strive too be every year. Next year I see the running game and Wildcat take the place of all those short throws that Ganz did with Swift and Peterson. Biggest problems with the offense this year were o-line depth/injury problems and inconsistent WR and QB play. Our No. 1 was too inconsistent and out no. 2 and 3 dropped off a cliff and by the time we brought in new players to replace them we went to our vanilla offense.

This has been hashed and rehashed but as long as our O-line stays healthy, our WRs don't drop passes, and our QBs can be somewhat accurate against the top flight teams. I see our offense not having the same problems we had this year because of the amount of experience we are returning.

I hope not otherwise Nerbaska will never ever sniff a conference championship let alone a National championship.

¿qué pasa?

You realize that our offense scored 35 points per game in 2008, si? With that offense and this defense, there isn't a team in all the land we couldn't beat.

You do realize that two of the losses in 2008 were because this terrific offense did nothing. Take the Missou game was it the defenses fault that this mighty offense that averaged 35 points could only score 10 points in the first three quarters and then get a meaningless score in the 4th.

Now if the claim that this is the kind of offense that everyone wants then they should have been able to go score for score against a team that defense was really not overwhelming especially at home.

In the Oklahoma game I guess it's great that the offense outscored OU 28 to 27 in the final three quarters. To bad that there's a first quarter or this would be the greatest offense ever. :sarcasm

• Fire 1

Really think that the offense we saw in '08 is the offense we will strive too be every year. Next year I see the running game and Wildcat take the place of all those short throws that Ganz did with Swift and Peterson. Biggest problems with the offense this year were o-line depth/injury problems and inconsistent WR and QB play. Our No. 1 was too inconsistent and out no. 2 and 3 dropped off a cliff and by the time we brought in new players to replace them we went to our vanilla offense.

This has been hashed and rehashed but as long as our O-line stays healthy, our WRs don't drop passes, and our QBs can be somewhat accurate against the top flight teams. I see our offense not having the same problems we had this year because of the amount of experience we are returning.

I hope not otherwise Nerbaska will never ever sniff a conference championship let alone a National championship.

¿qué pasa?

You realize that our offense scored 35 points per game in 2008, si? With that offense and this defense, there isn't a team in all the land we couldn't beat.

You do realize that two of the losses in 2008 were because this terrific offense did nothing. Take the Missou game was it the defenses fault that this mighty offense that averaged 35 points could only score 10 points in the first three quarters and then get a meaningless score in the 4th.

Now if the claim that this is the kind of offense that everyone wants then they should have been able to go score for score against a team that defense was really not overwhelming especially at home.

In the Oklahoma game I guess it's great that the offense outscored OU 28 to 27 in the final three quarters. To bad that there's a first quarter or this would be the greatest offense ever. :sarcasm

The fallacy of this argument in general is that you don't completely know how to predict an 08 season with the 09 defense. It's kind of like when people compare teams from different eras to decide who is better.

A football game could go completely different directions given different variables. Maybe the 09 defense would have kept us in the 08 games against Missouri and OU, but maybe that same defense tanks it against a foe they originally played well against. Maybe the defense gets a hot head, as well as the offense, and we tank the Colorado game and Henery doesn't have his record setting kick.

Even my 11-1 prediction is a little bold, tbh.

I have confidence the offense will improve next season. Of course they couldn't do much worse. Sure, injuries and inexperience were a part of that, but what NCAA football team doesn't face those situations?

I'm typically a believer that a team with as many healthy returning starters as NU will have next season will improve ten-fold if the same offensive system stays intact. HOWEVER, I'm not so sure that's the case with these players and the system they're under with Watson at the helm. Don't get me wrong, there's a decent chance the Husker offense will perform much closer to the tune of that AZ game, but I think Watson's numbers as an offensive coordinator are too daunting to overlook.

On Dec 6, 2009, Dirk Chatelain of the Omaha World-Herald provided the following:

"Since 2000, Watson has been an offensive coordinator nine seasons in the Big 12. At Colorado (2000 to '05), and at Nebraska (2007 to '09). His standing in the Big 12 offensive rankings:

• '00: 8th in total offense, 10th in scoring offense

• '01: 2nd, 4th

• '02: 9th, 9th

• '03: 9th, 8th

• '04: 9th, 9th

• '05: 8th, 9th

• '07: 5th, 8th

• '08: 6th, 6th

• '09: 11th, 8th"

With the entire 2009 season under our belts, the final rankings were 11th in total offense and 8th in scoring offense, and that includes the bowl game. That said, I think Watson has a lot riding on this season. The expectations are higher then they've been in a long time, and he simply must get this offense moving, regardless of personnel issues.

I saw the article by Chatelain, and I sent him an email which pointed out Watson has four Big 12 North titles as OC at CU (01,02,04,05) and one Big 12 Championship (01). Besides, rankings really don't count in the W/L column.

The injury issues with the team though are quite disturbing, and maybe something Bo needs rectify in the strength and conditioning area.

I think our offense will be fine next year. A lot of our problems could be traced to an inexperienced offensive line. They will only be better next year.

My major concern is with our QB again. Hopefully we can get some decent production from that position next year :facepalm:

As for our defense, Im not really buying into that whole "we're going to be even better next year" thing. Its very hard to improve from where we were in 09 and anytime a unit loses it's leader, there are going to be implications, but I still think that they are going to be great.

We should do better in 2010. The games wont ride on our defense as much, and as long as we dont blow a tire in the regular season, we really should walk out with a big 12 championship

I read a supposed quote that someone posted that they heard at a party (of course the accuracy of such quotes is dubious at best) --- anyway the quote from several players was that Zac Lee was our best QB --- without a doubt. Now if that quote is at all accurate and at all reflects reality (which it may not) --- but if so --- than NU is in trouble. At least in trouble in the sense that we have problems at QB. It is true that Lee was new and that he played hurt --- and those two mitigating circumstances may well have hurt his productivity dramatically --- and when healthy and with the year behind him he may improve. But... based on last years performance, NU had probably the 10th-12th best QB in the conference and almost certainly the least skilled/productive QB of any team in the top 25. So... lets hope that what we saw really does not reflect the best that we have. If it does, then no matter how good the defense is, the offense will not enable NU to win consistently against the better teams. Until we have a real QB NU will have a ceiling placed upon them that they cannot rise above. Green has not elicited much praise from his teamates (if that quote is any indication). Certainly his on-field performance makes one question whether a position switch is the best for Cody. Maybe it is too early for such talk --- and if it is true that the QB's we have are as limited as the quote suggests they are, perhaps we have to keep him there. In any event, Green did not look good in the passing game, the running game or in decision making.

So... are there legitimate concerns about the offense? Yes there are --- on the Ol, at WR and, especially, at QB.

I have confidence the offense will improve next season. Of course they couldn't do much worse. Sure, injuries and inexperience were a part of that, but what NCAA football team doesn't face those situations?

I'm typically a believer that a team with as many healthy returning starters as NU will have next season will improve ten-fold if the same offensive system stays intact. HOWEVER, I'm not so sure that's the case with these players and the system they're under with Watson at the helm. Don't get me wrong, there's a decent chance the Husker offense will perform much closer to the tune of that AZ game, but I think Watson's numbers as an offensive coordinator are too daunting to overlook.

On Dec 6, 2009, Dirk Chatelain of the Omaha World-Herald provided the following:

"Since 2000, Watson has been an offensive coordinator nine seasons in the Big 12. At Colorado (2000 to '05), and at Nebraska (2007 to '09). His standing in the Big 12 offensive rankings:

With the entire 2009 season under our belts, the final rankings were 11th in total offense and 8th in scoring offense, and that includes the bowl game. That said, I think Watson has a lot riding on this season. The expectations are higher then they've been in a long time, and he simply must get this offense moving, regardless of personnel issues.

I saw the article by Chatelain, and I sent him an email which pointed out Watson has four Big 12 North titles as OC at CU (01,02,04,05) and one Big 12 Championship (01). Besides, rankings really don't count in the W/L column.

The injury issues with the team though are quite disturbing, and maybe something Bo needs rectify in the strength and conditioning area.

Valid argument there. I looked into conference rankings a bit more and was blown away with how poor CU's defense ranked the seasons of their North titles. In 2001, they ranked 7 in scoring and total D. In '02, they ranked 4 in scoring & 7 in total D; in '04, 8 in scoring & last total D; in '05, 7 in both.

In retrospect, I guess rankings don't count in the W/L column. Seriously though, who would've though the Buffs D in those seasons was so bad. How did we not win the North any of those seasons?

In the Oklahoma game I guess it's great that the offense outscored OU 28 to 27 in the final three quarters. To bad that there's a first quarter or this would be the greatest offense ever.

You're gigging the 2008 offense because the 2008 defense gave up a bunch of points? How does that make any sense?

In the Oklahoma game I guess it's great that the offense outscored OU 28 to 27 in the final three quarters. To bad that there's a first quarter or this would be the greatest offense ever.

You're gigging the 2008 offense because the 2008 defense gave up a bunch of points? How does that make any sense?

:facepalm: Yep, I blame Nebraska offense for how bad their defense was 2008.

Okay so I'm about to pull this out out of a hat...Tony Romo.

Why Tony Romo?

Well last year Nebraska struggled offensively... the running game stunk... the passing game stunk.

I believe this is due to O-Line play. If you watch the run blocking from the 90's NU's running backs had huge holes to run through and good down field blocking. There was NONE of that this year... when holes opened up they were tiny creases that running backs had to twist and turn to get through... only to be met by hungry linebackers waiting for them on the other side. And what about the passing game? If you time Zac Lee and look at the Left tackle (blindside) play through all the game footage... he had 2 seconds on most plays to get rid of the ball. That gave him time to look for 2 receivers on short routes and hopefully hit one. We know he struggled with throwing on the run and scrambling out of the pocket, but the O-Line rarely gave him time to check all his receivers, set up for long passes, or scramble up the middle through a hole because there were none.

I saw the same problem with ROMO in last week's cowboys/vikings game. We know Romo has his up and down games... we know he has been known to be an inconsistent quarterback... but we can all agree that his O-Line didn't give him much help last Sunday against Minnesota. I firmly believe that if you have an average quarterback and a SOLID, AMAZING O-Line... that the quarterback will look good. Hince why so many "superb" college quarterbacks get drafted in a high round to a sucky NFL team and then suck it up themselves.

Could Zac Lee be a stellar QB who played a season with a torn ligament behind a horrendous offensive line?

Could that be why his parents looked so mad everytime the camera showed them in the stands at his games?

Yes Zac has some things to work on... he needs to make decisions quicker, he needs to throw stronger on the run, he needs to be able to get out of the pocket quicker and downfield faster when he decides to run it himself... but I feel like he might be a lot better than we all think. When you ask NU players who the best quarterback is, hands down they all say Zac. Helu praises him. So do the receivers. Yet you never hear a peep about the O-Line. Cotton was quiet last season... the first recruits that NU went after were 2010 and 2011 O-Linemen... and the first to committ were 2010 and 2011 offensive linemen... they heard a desperate cry for help and answered.

Just my thoughts...

Valid argument there. I looked into conference rankings a bit more and was blown away with how poor CU's defense ranked the seasons of their North titles. In 2001, they ranked 7 in scoring and total D. In '02, they ranked 4 in scoring & 7 in total D; in '04, 8 in scoring & last total D; in '05, 7 in both.

In retrospect, I guess rankings don't count in the W/L column. Seriously though, who would've though the Buffs D in those seasons was so bad. How did we not win the North any of those seasons?

Ranking are just there for us stat geeks. :lol: We use them like scientists use theory to explain why things are the way they are. Drive charts on the other hand, tell you how the games were won.

The reason why we weren't in the Big 12 North hunt is because our conference record from (2000-05) was 28-20. We were 21-11 under Solich (2000-03), and 7-9 under Callahan (2004-05).

Why Tony Romo?

Well last year Nebraska struggled offensively... the running game stunk... the passing game stunk.

I believe this is due to O-Line play. If you watch the run blocking from the 90's NU's running backs had huge holes to run through and good down field blocking. There was NONE of that this year... when holes opened up they were tiny creases that running backs had to twist and turn to get through... only to be met by hungry linebackers waiting for them on the other side. And what about the passing game? If you time Zac Lee and look at the Left tackle (blindside) play through all the game footage... he had 2 seconds on most plays to get rid of the ball. That gave him time to look for 2 receivers on short routes and hopefully hit one. We know he struggled with throwing on the run and scrambling out of the pocket, but the O-Line rarely gave him time to check all his receivers, set up for long passes, or scramble up the middle through a hole because there were none.

I saw the same problem with ROMO in last week's cowboys/vikings game. We know Romo has his up and down games... we know he has been known to be an inconsistent quarterback... but we can all agree that his O-Line didn't give him much help last Sunday against Minnesota. I firmly believe that if you have an average quarterback and a SOLID, AMAZING O-Line... that the quarterback will look good. Hince why so many "superb" college quarterbacks get drafted in a high round to a sucky NFL team and then suck it up themselves.

Could Zac Lee be a stellar QB who played a season with a torn ligament behind a horrendous offensive line?

Could that be why his parents looked so mad everytime the camera showed them in the stands at his games?

Yes Zac has some things to work on... he needs to make decisions quicker, he needs to throw stronger on the run, he needs to be able to get out of the pocket quicker and downfield faster when he decides to run it himself... but I feel like he might be a lot better than we all think. When you ask NU players who the best quarterback is, hands down they all say Zac. Helu praises him. So do the receivers. Yet you never hear a peep about the O-Line. Cotton was quiet last season... the first recruits that NU went after were 2010 and 2011 O-Linemen... and the first to committ were 2010 and 2011 offensive linemen... they heard a desperate cry for help and answered.

Just my thoughts...

You are correct about the O-Line. I'll throw this out here to put a Husker perspective on it.

NU used three different quarterbacks in 1994, and a whole fleet of different starting running backs in 1995. In both cases, dominant offensive lines made them all look good. Why is that you ask? One word, depth. The 95 starters had so much playing time in 94, it was nothing for them to pick up where they left off the season before. That is where we have to be in order to win championships.

Since Toniu Fonoti in 2001, Nebraska hasn't had an offensive lineman named to the coaches' All-Big 12 first team.

Here are the number of first-team offensive line selections for other league schools from 2001-09:

Texas -- 12

Oklahoma -- 12

Colorado -- 6

Missouri -- 5

Oklahoma State -- 4

Kansas State -- 3

Texas A&M -- 2

Baylor -- 1

Kansas -- 1

Texas Tech -- 1

If you get a bumper crop of players who can stay healthy and stay on the team, creating depth which will foster continuity in the offensive system year after year.

Until this situation is rectified, talks of Big XII Championships and Top 10 rankings are premature.

Why Tony Romo?

Just my thoughts...

Outstanding post. This causes me to reconsider some of the assessment I have had re: Lee. Maybe we don't know how good he is. hopefully the OL improves a ton this next year so that we can find out.

Why Tony Romo?

Just my thoughts...

Outstanding post. This causes me to reconsider some of the assessment I have had re: Lee. Maybe we don't know how good he is. hopefully the OL improves a ton this next year so that we can find out.

If they can get the O'line clicking, then we can run the ball better, taking the pressure off of Zac, allowing him to be a more efficient QB...

and definitely an outstanding post...

Sure with ZL getting more time he'll be a better qb. Yes with bigger holes the running backs will gain more yards. My bigger concern is whether the coaching staff will put them in a position to be successful if the line isn't dominant. What must have happened last year? Did Suh and Co. not rip up the O-line in practice? Did the coaches just think WOW! we are going to be awesome on D! Why didn't they figure out how we could be more successful with what we had on O from the start? I will be :steam if we blow another half season before figuring out what works best. :yeah

Sure with ZL getting more time he'll be a better qb. Yes with bigger holes the running backs will gain more yards. My bigger concern is whether the coaching staff will put them in a position to be successful if the line isn't dominant. What must have happened last year? Did Suh and Co. not rip up the O-line in practice? Did the coaches just think WOW! we are going to be awesome on D! Why didn't they figure out how we could be more successful with what we had on O from the start? I will be :steam if we blow another half season before figuring out what works best. :yeah

If the o-line isn't dominate, then they're going to have to rethink their whole scheme. A lot of rollouts, toss sweeps, swing passes would be the order of the day.