Who do you think was better at throwing the Ball?

Lord had a cannon of an arm. He just couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. When the option worked, (and it still would here), and we ran Option Pass, the Tight End would ALWAYS be open. Man I loved that play, Tracey Wistrom, Matt Herian, etc. Loved it, and that throw makes anyone look good.

Back on topic...

Dailey was thrown into the West Coast Offense. If he ran Solich's offense, he may have been the better passer due to the limited ammount of throws or the run setting up the pass. Yes, we ran the ball under Callahan too, but not to the strength of a Solich based option offense. He was recruited to run Solich's offense. That being said, Lord did run Solich's offense and made some really bad/questionable throws at times.

I think it's hard to compare, since they are two different offenses that they both started under. I think Dailey in Solich's system he would have done well to me, but Lord in Callahan's system would have been a disaster. Granted, when Dailey was the starter, there was no real pocket passing quarterback to run Callahan's offense, so Dailey may have won the job by default.

Either way, I think the edge goes, slightly, to Dailey.

And that's not saying much.

Lord had a cannon of an arm. He just couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. When the option worked, (and it still would here), and we ran Option Pass, the Tight End would ALWAYS be open. Man I loved that play, Tracey Wistrom, Matt Herian, etc. Loved it, and that throw makes anyone look good.

Back on topic...

Dailey was thrown into the West Coast Offense. If he ran Solich's offense, he may have been the better passer due to the limited ammount of throws or the run setting up the pass. Yes, we ran the ball under Callahan too, but not to the strength of a Solich based option offense. He was recruited to run Solich's offense. That being said, Lord did run Solich's offense and made some really bad/questionable throws at times.

I think it's hard to compare, since they are two different offenses that they both started under. I think Dailey in Solich's system he would have done well to me, but Lord in Callahan's system would have been a disaster. Granted, when Dailey was the starter, there was no real pocket passing quarterback to run Callahan's offense, so Dailey may have won the job by default.

Im not cutting daily any slack with the offense of system that he was in. I think that both qbs best Wide recievers was the side line or the Db's on the other team. I did love watching Jammal lord run the ball though he wasnt just a great runner he was also pretty big so he could pack quite a pop when he lowered his shoulders. I miss seeing tough running qb's that lowered there shoulder and deliver the boom nowadays everyone is a little girly about it and they either slide or run out of bounce

Back on topic...

Im not cutting daily any slack with the offense of system that he was in. I think that both qbs best Wide recievers was the side line or the Db's on the other team. I did love watching Jammal lord run the ball though he wasnt just a great runner he was also pretty big so he could pack quite a pop when he lowered his shoulders. I miss seeing tough running qb's that lowered there shoulder and deliver the boom nowadays everyone is a little girly about it and they either slide or run out of bounce

Agreed. Jammal was a WONDERFUL athlete, and I do miss our quarterbacks running the ball with speed, power, agility, and toughness. I think we are going to be going after those types of dual threat quarterbacks as well, hopefully Cody Green can instill some of that back into the backfield as another weapon in the future.

I think running a different system makes a little bit of a difference. Different sets, progressions, terminology, philosophy, ability to get the ball to the right guy, etc. That's why I went with Dailey, even if he didn't look good as a passer the most times either. Solich's system was a lot easier to be quarterback in, if you're talking about running and passing plays.

I know Jammal gets a ton of heat, but the guy gave it his all on every play, even if it turned out to be a bad play. If your quarterback is a weapon on the ground, that's just another element for the defense to worry about, and that's what I'd like to see us get back to, but still be able to throw it around a little. Hopefully better than Lord or Dailey too. ;)

Back on topic...

The thing about the Solich offense though was "lets run the option and just have Crouch keep it most of the time". I think one of the biggest downfalls offensively was that Solich retooled the offense and got rid of a lot of things that made us so unpredictable in the 90's.

For example, in 2001 Judd Davies, our starting FB, had 40 carries for 240 yards, and he was the only FB that got significant carries.

While in 95, we had Jeff Makovicka with 63 carries for 384 yards and Schuster 28 carries for 246 yards.

Also, Frazier had only 93 attempt while Crouch over 200.

Back on topic...

The thing about the Solich offense though was "lets run the option and just have Crouch keep it most of the time". I think one of the biggest downfalls offensively was that Solich retooled the offense and got rid of a lot of things that made us so unpredictable in the 90's.

For example, in 2001 Judd Davies, our starting FB, had 40 carries for 240 yards, and he was the only FB that got significant carries.

While in 95, we had Jeff Makovicka with 63 carries for 384 yards and Schuster 28 carries for 246 yards.

I agree, but the biggest part of Solich's downfall was his recruiting. He was a good offensive coordinator with Crouch under center, but when he didn't have an "Crouch type quarterback" under center, and he had Lord, the offense was "okay" but not "as good". I don't think Solich used his position players as well as he could have. Anyone remember Wilson Thomas? Should have been a huge red zone target, or heck, a legitimate #1 receiver for us.

Remember, Solich had Crouch as a player/quarterback for 4 of his 6 years here. We know what happened once Crouch left, 2002 happened. Yes, the defense was bad, but the offense was equally as bad. If Solich had a "Crouch type" here all the time, he may still be around. But he could not develop an offense away from the quarterback only. He couldn't get the ball to the receivers enough, or to different rotating running backs. Recruiting was also a problem, and I think the biggest downfall. The offensive lines during Solich years were very average, which is why he had to hang on Crouch so much, and once Lord was the quarterback, and the line stayed average, the offense became even more vanilla and average.

Good point with the fullback. When the fullback position is listed on the depth chart or for starting lineups, I say to myself, "WE HAVE A FULLBACK?!" No offense, but Solich, Callahan, and Watson don't use the fullback enough. Granted, Callahan's offense didn't even THINK about using a fullback, but with Watson here, we've seen the fullback at least on the field on 1st and 2nd down. During Solich's years, we had good fullbacks, but they weren't used as balanced as they were in the 90s. We didn't have the rotating running backs as well. Again, that goes back to recruiting and limit of scholarships as well to hinder teams, which some isn't Solich's fault, but he could have developed a better game plan for when Crouch left, or recruited better, which was his downfall.

What about using LaTravis Washington on 2nd or 3rd and goal at Blacksburg? Or heck, even Suh in the goal line package? A quick hitter to the fullback would keep the offense off balance, and of course, brought us a National Title in the 1995 Orange Bowl.

I think Solich had a good offensive mind, when Crouch was under center, but once he left, he didn't recruit well to get in players to make up for his absence (offensive line, wide receivers, running backs, full backs) to help out Lord in 2002 and 2003. It became the Lord offense and he did everything, and while he was a great athlete, he wasn't as good of a thrower, nor as quick or as fast as Crouch, which made the offense vanilla and average. It would have been nice to see Joe Dailey in his offense to see if it would have been a little more balanced with everyone and a little different. But we all know how that turned out.

Back on topic...

I agree, but the biggest part of Solich's downfall was his recruiting. He was a good offensive coordinator with Crouch under center, but when he didn't have an "Crouch type quarterback" under center, and he had Lord, the offense was "okay" but not "as good". I don't think Solich used his position players as well as he could have. Anyone remember Wilson Thomas? Should have been a huge red zone target, or heck, a legitimate #1 receiver for us.

Remember, Solich had Crouch as a player/quarterback for 4 of his 6 years here. We know what happened once Crouch left, 2002 happened. Yes, the defense was bad, but the offense was equally as bad. If Solich had a "Crouch type" here all the time, he may still be around. But he could not develop an offense away from the quarterback only. He couldn't get the ball to the receivers enough, or to different rotating running backs. Recruiting was also a problem, and I think the biggest downfall. The offensive lines during Solich years were very average, which is why he had to hang on Crouch so much, and once Lord was the quarterback, and the line stayed average, the offense became even more vanilla and average.

Good point with the fullback. When the fullback position is listed on the depth chart or for starting lineups, I say to myself, "WE HAVE A FULLBACK?!" No offense, but Solich, Callahan, and Watson don't use the fullback enough. Granted, Callahan's offense didn't even THINK about using a fullback, but with Watson here, we've seen the fullback at least on the field on 1st and 2nd down. During Solich's years, we had good fullbacks, but they weren't used as balanced as they were in the 90s. We didn't have the rotating running backs as well. Again, that goes back to recruiting and limit of scholarships as well to hinder teams, which some isn't Solich's fault, but he could have developed a better game plan for when Crouch left, or recruited better, which was his downfall.

What about using LaTravis Washington on 2nd or 3rd and goal at Blacksburg? Or heck, even Suh in the goal line package? A quick hitter to the fullback would keep the offense off balance, and of course, brought us a National Title in the 1995 Orange Bowl.

I think Solich had a good offensive mind, when Crouch was under center, but once he left, he didn't recruit well to get in players to make up for his absence (offensive line, wide receivers, running backs, full backs) to help out Lord in 2002 and 2003. It became the Lord offense and he did everything, and while he was a great athlete, he wasn't as good of a thrower, nor as quick or as fast as Crouch, which made the offense vanilla and average. It would have been nice to see Joe Dailey in his offense to see if it would have been a little more balanced with everyone and a little different. But we all know how that turned out.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head. Great post.