1992 Husker Recruiting Class Ranked #2 of All Time

garn

Cann't buy this kind of good pub for the program.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/01/29/best-classes/2.html

2. Nebraska, 1992

The Cornhuskers can thank Bobby Bowden, Steve Spurrier and Dennis Erickson for the most important piece of the most dominant two-year run in college football history. Had the coaches at Florida State, Florida or Miami offered Bradenton, Fla., star Tommie Frazier a serious shot at playing quarterback, he might not have left the state. "They all said they would give me a shot at it," Frazier told The Miami Herald before starting against Florida State as a true freshman in the 1993 Orange Bowl. "But if it didn't work out, they said they would change me to wide receiver or defensive back."

Determined to play quarterback, Frazier went to Lincoln, where he teamed with classmates such as offensive tackle Chris Dishman, rover Mike Minter, defensive tackle Jared Tomich and cornerback Tyrone Williams to help the Cornhuskers to national titles in 1994 and 1995. Frazier missed much of the season in 1994 because of blood clots, but he returned in time to earn Orange Bowl MVP honors. In 1995, Washington State was the only team to come within two touchdowns of Nebraska. Frazier got the ultimate revenge against a home-state foe when the Huskers pounded 12-0 Florida, 62-24, in the Fiesta Bowl to claim the national title.

In true Nebraska fashion, the contributors to the two national title teams didn't all arrive in Lincoln as scholarship players. Tomich, fullback Brian Schuster, offensive tackle Adam Treu and receiver Jon Vedral originally came as walk-ons.

The class also produced a No. 1 overall draft pick -- just not in the NFL draft. Darin Erstad, who started at punter on the 1994 team, was the top pick in the 1995 baseball draft. Erstad has played 14 seasons in the majors.

Yeah, but what was the class ranking before their run to greatness? Anyone know that? Thats more telling to me, as far as how to look at this years class ranking and whether or not I should put any stock into the voodoo art of recruiting rankings. (which I currently dont)

This class was rated 14th by SuperPrep.

Wasn't Tomich a GreyShirt?

a prop 48 kid if i remember correctly. had to sit out a year while gaining full eligibility. we used to get a lot of prop 48 kids that worked out nicely until texas insisted on banning the practice in the new league (over TO's objections) and the other schools let texas get what they wanted, taking a tool they didn't need away from the other schools and forcing non-qualifiers to go another route.

Wasn't Tomich a GreyShirt?

a prop 48 kid if i remember correctly. had to sit out a year while gaining full eligibility. we used to get a lot of prop 48 kids that worked out nicely until texas insisted on banning the practice in the new league (over TO's objections) and the other schools let texas get what they wanted, taking a tool they didn't need away from the other schools and forcing non-qualifiers to go another route.

Excellent...just another tidbit to fuel the flame of hatred on Texas. :steam