What really annoys me

I disagree. I am a fan of both Tulsa and Nebraska. Mainly because my sister lives in Tulsa and it is a sweet town. If there was a player who chose between Nebraska and Tulsa and decided to go to Tulsa I would be happy about it. I have to say I have a lot more Nebraska shirts than Tulsa shirts though.

:yeah

I lived there for 6 years and my wife went to TU. Go Golden Hurricane!!!!

I disagree. I am a fan of both Tulsa and Nebraska. Mainly because my sister lives in Tulsa and it is a sweet town. If there was a player who chose between Nebraska and Tulsa and decided to go to Tulsa I would be happy about it. I have to say I have a lot more Nebraska shirts than Tulsa shirts though.

what division is Tulsa? conference?

Div I. C-USA

You only have so much passion/energy available so if you have more that one team, you are splitting it up one way or another (not that there's anything wrong with that). I can understand a fan of one team having a great amount of respect for another (which I think is the case with cacti), but it's hard to imagine someone being truly passionate about two teams in the same sport. Whether or not they compete directly isn't the issue. The issue is just the amount of emotional energy and time available to one person. I think a lot of these guys might be passionate about Nebraska football while merely being a "fan" of another team. Meaning, if you happen to watch them, you root for them. It's not a big deal if they lose and occasionally you miss a game and check the score online.

So I think it's easy to be a fan of two or more schools in one sport, but to be a really passionate fan or more than one would seem really tough to pull off.

seinfeld_wrong.jpg

Love the Huskers, always have always will, no one comes close. But on a more amusing side, I find myself rooting for Western Kentucky when they play anyone besides the Huskers. Yes, I hope we beat them down at the season opener, and we should. ;)

My reasons are more entertainment reasons. Western Kentucky. Who? That's right, the Hilltoppers! They just joined Division I and are, as expected, the worst team and play in the Sun Belt.

Story: My roommate was #3 on Xbox Live for NCAA Football 05. He was #1 on NCAA Football 06, 07. When NCAA Football was discontinued on the regular XBox, he moved to PlayStation 2 and dominated online as well. He was/is so good, he would take the WORST teams and DESTROY people with them. Teams like, San Jose State, Army, and Wyoming. The best was when he had to use Western Kentucky. He would use the worst teams, because, if you use a weak team and win, you get more points towards ranking up, and you'd rank up super fast with a win with Western Kentucky, say over a win while using Florida. He always played on the road as well, which for those familiar with XBox/PS2 version, home field advantage makes a difference, and he made it hard on himself and still won. You also got more points for winning on the road as well.

So when they made the move to Division I, he had to use them online, unless he was going up against another top tier player, then he would "match up" with them and still win more times than not. One of his names that I created for his online gamer tag was "HilltoppingU".

I cannot tell you how amusing it was to see him use David Wolke (QB) or K.J. Black (Backup QB) throw the ball all over USC, Florida, Texas, etc. with the terrible rated receivers Western Kentucky had, like Jake Gaebler, Quinterrance Cooper, or Wenquel Graves.

It was amusing to see their best player, Impact Running Back Tyrell Hayden, who was their best rated player at 80 overall (yes you read that correctly. Their best RATED player was an 80. I don't think anyone on defense was rated over a 75), catch passes and put moves on elite teams. Or even when he played defense with Blake Boyd (who had a huge rating drop off from the 09 version to the 10 version) intercepting or swatting passes, or using the terrible corners that were rated roughly 62 overall and making plays that teams like Florida would. It was all about user skills baby.

He would win and guys would get frustrated, send him hate mail, and we would just laugh he just beat Florida with Western Kentucky on the road at Gainesville, in an online ranked football video game. It's easier to win with them on PS2 than PS3 since the PS3 version ratings take in more of an effect than user skills, which is mildly dumb.

We even had red towels that we "swung around" and played the Western Kentucky fight song when he scored a touchdown with them, into the microphone against his opponent. We had a great time with that team and we still do. We root for the worst team in college football, yes for entertainment issues first, but the fact that they are new, terrible, lovable, a funny mascot, interesting towel traditions, and they are traditionally a basketball school.

Heck, even I have a Western Kentucky dynasty on NCAA Football 10 for my PS3 and play on the hardest difficulty and still manage to win. Playing online with them on PS3 or 360 like I said is much harder, and I'm not saying "I'm amazing cause I can beat the computer at a game with the worst team", but that is why I follow Western Kentucky football. They are lovable yet they are terrible.

Love my Huskers, and root for the Hilltoppers for those reasons above, but would NEVER root for anyone above the Huskers. Ever.

/end video game entertainment rant

Besides, what does it matter if they root for another team? I agree, if they are in the same division, then that doesn't make sense. If they are in the same conference, but different divisions, thats a little different, but an entirely different conference, or rooting for a powerhouse and a scrub team (Nebraska and Western Kentucky, or even a USC and Buffalo combination) it shouldn't matter. People go to college elsewhere and become fans there, and still love the Huskers. Or they come from another state, follow a team there, come to Nebraska for school, and fall in love with the Huskers as well, but keep them as their 2nd team.

I see no big deal about it, just root for your teams, for your own reasons, and let someone else worry about what they are doing and what for.

I root for the Huskers, and then I followed Turner Gill and Frank Solich a bit just because of Husker ties, but never found myself "reading" about them, but would watch them on TV occasionally. I was even was entertained by Central Michigan (the best team in Michigan) because I am a big fan of Dan LeFevour, when he had comparable numbers to Tim Tebow in 2007 and asked why he didn't win the Heisman or get invited to the party, I thought was hilarious and became a huge fan of him for having the 'nads to say those things on TV.

But always, Huskers first, no matter who they play.

• Fire 1

How can you call yourself a husker fan if you are a strong supporter of 2 college teams? I just dont get it a true husker fan only bleeds one color and that is husker red this cyclone/husker , bruin/husker crap is just plain S T U P I D

Since Clemson and Nebraska only have played twice in their history. Like someone said before, I came here as a Clemson fan, and left as a fan of both Nebraska and Clemson. It's not like I'm choosing the best team in one sport and then the best team in another and calling myself a fan of both. I honestly love both teams and actively keep up with them. I probably am a bigger Clemson fan because I'm an alum and it's only 2 hours up the road so I can go to every game.

But you really need to be careful about putting people on this board down, none of the people you are calling out ever did anything to you.

+1 for you.

And -2 for the OP.

I love Nebraska football (grew up with it, alumnus, grad student) and Navy football (grandpa was a Navy man and I remember watching Army/Navy games with him when I was young. Plus the Navy offense is entertaining as heck to watch.) It's not complicated. If they played I'd hope for a Nebraska victory by 1 point.

(also . . . it made the Holiday Bowl and Texas Bowl that much better. :))

How can you call yourself a husker fan if you are a strong supporter of 2 college teams? I just dont get it a true husker fan only bleeds one color and that is husker red this cyclone/husker , bruin/husker crap is just plain S T U P I D

Ah, we'd been missing a "you're only a true Husker fan if" thread. It's been a few months, and i'm glad Joey could resurrect it with such skill and alacrity...

• Fire 1

Ah, we'd been missing a "you're only a true Husker fan if" thread. It's been a few months, and i'm glad Joey could resurrect it with such skill and alacrity...

:laughpound

Well done walksalone

:laughpound

Well done walksalone

I'm glad my architectural dexterity is appreciated...