Tired of the Prima-donnas

If there wasn’t a demand for it then it wouldn’t happen. Until people stop buying subscriptions to pay sites or stop watching ESPNU coverage it will continue to go on.

FWIW: How a kid announces his college choice has no effect on me or the way I view them. I don’t care either way. Announce in front of the nation – Cool. Just call the coaches – Cool.

I’m also calling BS on the people that know who these kids are being the minority of Husker fans. Even if you don’t follow online, the articles are in the World Herald, Journal Star, GI Independent, NE State paper. The stuff is everywhere and if you are a Husker fan that reads the print media you have seen stories about these kids.

In terms of Owa, if you saw his press conference, I don't know how you could even utter the words prima donna. Owa looked like he just wanted to get it over, and very uncomfortable being at that podium. He was contacted by ESPN to wait until NSD, so that they could have another player say where he is going to school. Don't blame the players for being talented, blame the media who are using these kids talent for their own gain and making NSD what it is. . .a spectacle.

74Hunter, if you are sick of primadonnas, give a listen to the Unsportsmanlike Conduct podcast from yesterday (on 1620 The Zone's website). You will hear interviews from intelligent, humble (yet confident), mature young men that Bo & Co trust to be the future of this ball club. I was extremely impressed with a lot of the guys yesterday...they sounded like 25 year olds.

I caught some of the Tobi Okuyemi call on 1620 yesterday and I agree with this, at least on his part. He sounded very mature, sounded like he knew what he wanted and how to work to get it, and that he'll have a chance to earn PT with hard work. If all the kids in this class are like that, we've signed a group of guys that no star system can measure.

In terms of Owa, if you saw his press conference, I don't know how you could even utter the words prima donna. Owa looked like he just wanted to get it over, and very uncomfortable being at that podium. He was contacted by ESPN to wait until NSD, so that they could have another player say where he is going to school. Don't blame the players for being talented, blame the media who are using these kids talent for their own gain and making NSD what it is. . .a spectacle.

Well, to wait until 1:30 Central and to have a 3:30 minute diatribe, looks like a prima-donna move to me. JMHO

74Hunter, if you are sick of primadonnas, give a listen to the Unsportsmanlike Conduct podcast from yesterday (on 1620 The Zone's website). You will hear interviews from intelligent, humble (yet confident), mature young men that Bo & Co trust to be the future of this ball club. I was extremely impressed with a lot of the guys yesterday...they sounded like 25 year olds.

I caught some of the Tobi Okuyemi call on 1620 yesterday and I agree with this, at least on his part. He sounded very mature, sounded like he knew what he wanted and how to work to get it, and that he'll have a chance to earn PT with hard work. If all the kids in this class are like that, we've signed a group of guys that no star system can measure.

I did listen, and the kids did sound good and mature. But they also committed weeks or months ago, and as far as I know, they didnt have their faces splayed all over ESPN.

I don't understand some of your comments. When you graduated high school did you have a graduation party? When you get married will you have a reception? Have you ever had a birthday party? My point is that this is a giant accomplishment, that less that .1% of high school kids get the honor of. If you celebrate a pointless birthday every year, or the fact that you graduated high school, why is it so shocking that these kids would enjoy a gathering of their family and friends to celebrate their accomplishments?

HatersGonnaHate.jpg

DING DING DING - This guy gets it. Period. First off, they're fresh out of high school so let's have some perspective. Second, this may be their only moment of fame... so they should live it up. Everyone paying attention to the nonsense are the fools, not the kids. They are just capitalizing on the situation.

These kids have worked hard to be successful (most anyways) and everyone sitting on this board under the 'Recruiting' side is just giving them more reason to do it. Isn't it ironic, don't you think? If all of us grown-ups stopped posting info on every bowel movement then these press conferences wouldn't happen...

Seriously, this thread is the reason that announcements occur in this manner...

Nobody knows what they would do in that situation either, unless you've been that sought after for something. Chances are, since we're (me included) sitting on this board - we aren't and haven't been for a while.

With all the annoyances these kids deal with, I say they deserve the chance to announce as they see fit.

I did listen, and the kids did sound good and mature. But they also committed weeks or months ago, and as far as I know, they didnt have their faces splayed all over ESPN.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. The kids we end up with under Bo just don't seem to be the typical primadonna-type kids...which is why I am really excited about this class.

While I wanted Cooper, Carnes, David, and Owa (I think he can be a very special player, even though we don’t need 4 DE’s in this class), does anyone other than me get tired of these prima donnas having to wait until signing day, have a big press conference, and have the “look at me” show on ESPN? What, did you NOT know yesterday, and you miraculously do today? All they are doing is being selfish, attracting attention to themselves, and holding schools hostage by not allowing them to move onto the next guy in line. I’m also tired of them putting 5 hats on a table, deking 2 teams, and grabbing another’s hat at high school All-American games. I can understand guys that have grade concerns or if a coaching change has been made, but c’mon. This “Look at me, I’m a big shot high school football player, blah, blah, blah….” just gets under my skin.

And yes, I would still have felt this way whether Owa or any of the others would have come to NU or not.

I don't know why you got -11. Sheesh! I agree with you in some ways, but at the same time, it's kind of a tough decision. Transferring pretty much kills you because you have to sit out a year. You want to make sure you pick the right school. It does bother me a little bit though.