Tired of the Prima-donnas

While I wanted Cooper, Carnes, David, and Owa (I think he can be a very special player, even though we don’t need 4 DE’s in this class), does anyone other than me get tired of these prima donnas having to wait until signing day, have a big press conference, and have the “look at me” show on ESPN? What, did you NOT know yesterday, and you miraculously do today? All they are doing is being selfish, attracting attention to themselves, and holding schools hostage by not allowing them to move onto the next guy in line. I’m also tired of them putting 5 hats on a table, deking 2 teams, and grabbing another’s hat at high school All-American games. I can understand guys that have grade concerns or if a coaching change has been made, but c’mon. This “Look at me, I’m a big shot high school football player, blah, blah, blah….” just gets under my skin.

And yes, I would still have felt this way whether Owa or any of the others would have come to NU or not.

• Fire 7

While I wanted Cooper, Carnes, David, and Owa (I think he can be a very special player, even though we don’t need 4 DE’s in this class), does anyone other than me get tired of these prima donnas having to wait until signing day, have a big press conference, and have the “look at me” show on ESPN? What, did you NOT know yesterday, and you miraculously do today? All they are doing is being selfish, attracting attention to themselves, and holding schools hostage by not allowing them to move onto the next guy in line. I’m also tired of them putting 5 hats on a table, deking 2 teams, and grabbing another’s hat at high school All-American games. I can understand guys that have grade concerns or if a coaching change has been made, but c’mon. This “Look at me, I’m a big shot high school football player, blah, blah, blah….” just gets under my skin.

And yes, I would still have felt this way whether Owa or any of the others would have come to NU or not.

No these kids work hard to accomplish what they do. And to be a big enough athlete where people want to televise your college choice it is a great accomplishment. These kids should be proud and enjoy it.

• Fire 5

What's so wrong with it? Hey if my kid was that good and a bunch of Universities wanted him, why not??!! I don't think it's that big of deal. Once they get to whatever school they sign with, I guarantee ya, the coaches and the upper class men will bring them down a notch or two real quick! Not too mention, they will be humbled real fast when the conditioning and practices start.

Some legitimately do not know until the last day(Reggie Smith). These kids are going to be freshmen next year, little fish in a big pond, most of em. Why not let them have their moment? Reality will set in for them sooner or later once summer/fall camp starts.

Would it be that big of a deal to you if he said yes to NU? Come on and admit it. It's only because he didn't sign here. Don't call him a prima donna. We can't get 'em all. :)

Edit: OK, I missed the part that you said he is a prima donna whether he signed with us or not. But I still don't agree having a press conference makes him one. I wish him well.

No these kids work hard to accomplish what they do. And to be a big enough athlete where people want to televise your college choice it is a great accomplishment. These kids should be proud and enjoy it.

+1

If you work your butt off to get to the point schools across the country want your services, have some fun with it.

As long as a kid is open and honest with these staffs, they are doing absolutely nothing wrong.

• Fire 1

+1

If you work your butt off to get to the point schools across the country want your services, have some fun with it.

As long as a kid is open and honest with these staffs, they are doing absolutely nothing wrong.

:yeah

Would it be that big of a deal to you if he said yes to NU? Come on and admit it. It's only because he didn't sign here. Don't call him a prima donna. We can't get 'em all. :)

See my last sentence, yes, it still would have bothered me. I guess I don't think that high school football players deserve that much face time.

I have been saying for two weeks that signing day is totally different than a commitment.

Too many schools are left holding the bag today. Can you imagine if we had 18 to 25 kids tell us today they were committing today and signing today??

At least it is only a small percentage, the coaches knew on Saturday that Cooper was in.

The QB situation was in question due to a Gabbert decommit. (Carnes)

I heard on the live stream after the presser with OWA that he said he knew for a while.

Commitments should be made long before signing day. Just my opinion and that would still be the same if OWA was N. I am pumped but all of these kids knew where they wanted to go before Feb 3rd.

Why does there have to be 15 guys standing behind a guy when he makes an announcement. It is just a decision to play at a school. Big moment but there are several people left holding a bag that they didn't need to holding that empty bag today.

• Fire 1

If my kid is blessed enough to be in this sort of situation one day, I would hope that I raised him in a way that he wouldnt need any of this nonsense. If he does have a press conference/hat dance/last minute drama, you can bet your ass I wont be present. I would hope he'd make up his mind, tell the coach and sign the freakin papers ASAP so everyone can get along with what they need to do, especially himself. Its not about the kid getting some recognition for his hard work, its about ESPN and the like having more content, creating drama, and recruiting websites selling more subscriptions. The scholarship is reward enough for their "hard work" to me. All of this other stuff is crap, but unfortunately people watch it, talk about it, and give these kids fake adulation, so it will continue to happen.

• Fire 3

+1

:yeah

I agree, as long as they are open and honest, they are not doing anything WRONG.

I guess that I prefer high school kids to be a little more humble and down to earth. But that is more of a societal issue I guess.

Looks like I am in the minority here.

If my kid is blessed enough to be in this sort of situation one day, I would hope that I raised him in a way that he wouldnt need any of this nonsense. If he does have a press conference/hat dance/last minute drama, you can bet your ass I wont be present. I would hope he'd make up his mind, tell the coach and sign the freakin papers ASAP so everyone can get along with what they need to do, especially himself. Its not about the kid getting some recognition for his hard work, its about ESPN and the like having more content, creating drama, and recruiting websites selling more subscriptions. The scholarship is reward enough for their "hard work" to me. All of this other stuff is crap, but unfortunately people watch it, talk about it, and give these kids fake adulation, so it will continue to happen.

Not too mention the recruiting sites who make huge bucks off of these kids and their recruiting decisions!

I don't understand some of your comments. When you graduated high school did you have a graduation party? When you get married will you have a reception? Have you ever had a birthday party? My point is that this is a giant accomplishment, that less that .1% of high school kids get the honor of. If you celebrate a pointless birthday every year, or the fact that you graduated high school, why is it so shocking that these kids would enjoy a gathering of their family and friends to celebrate their accomplishments?

HatersGonnaHate.jpg

• Fire 2

Think about it this way. There are very, very few kids who will garner this much attention in High Schools across the country. That exclusivity creates notoriety, regardless of the character of the kid. Removing the recruit from the process entirely, imagine what it would be like to go to one of these high schools with a kid on this big of a stage. Think of the unique chance a kid has to be there when something like this happens.

As a school, why not make it something of a festival? If the coaches of the Universities are informed and it's just for the sake of the event, which is very much what I saw Owa's presser as, I would LOVE to have that kind of event at my high school if I was one of those kids. Sounds like a real blast to me.

I don't understand some of your comments. When you graduated high school did you have a graduation party? When you get married will you have a reception? Have you ever had a birthday party? My point is that this is a giant accomplishment, that less that .1% of high school kids get the honor of. If you celebrate a pointless birthday every year, or the fact that you graduated high school, why is it so shocking that these kids would enjoy a gathering of their family and friends to celebrate their accomplishments?

HatersGonnaHate.jpg

This is what it should be. My issue is when its obviously become about more than this.