Does Carnes Have a Chance to Start as a Freshmen

If Carnes can play up to his potential the job is his to lose after next season.

I dont mean to be rude but I strongly disagree. Cody Green will have this team for no less than two seasons.

I think a lot depends on how each of these guys develops next season, regardless of who redshirts or gets PT. Green was really hyped when he 1st signed & now Carnes is really hyped. Both have seem to have strengths that are great for this offense, but both have a lot to develop along the way.

If Carnes can play up to his potential the job is his to lose after next season.

I dont mean to be rude but I strongly disagree. Cody Green will have this team for no less than two seasons.

[/quote}

That is why this post is so interesting, We all strongly disagree. The only way Cody will start is if he can get better at completing his passes. If he can't improve in the off season and boy he better be working hard at it or he is going the to be riding the bench. Ask Lee about the hook.

My prediction for 2010 - Lee starts every game & Green gets considerable PT in preparation for 2011, while Carnes redshirts (exactly what we wish we could've done with Green).

My prediction for 2011 - PT in '09 & '10 pay off for Green as he becomes solid offensive leader. Carnes works his way past Spano & becomes the backup to Green. He gets some PT in blowout wins but nothing more. (small note - we get Turner who redshirts).

My prediction for 2012 - Green is a senior & he is the man. He knows the offense like the back of his hand & plays with confidence and flare as the field general we recruited him to be. Carnes continues his role as backup but gets considerably more PT as a soph. (Turner is solid competition for Carnes. These two will definitely duke it out for the top spot in 2013.)

My prediction for 2013 - Carnes' experience with the offense, precision passing & athletic ability get him the nod over soph Turner.

It's far too early to make predictions for 2011-2013 starting QBs. First off, Carnes and Turner have yet to step on campus, and Turner still has a ways to go before he can even officially be a Husker. It will be fun to watch it all unfold, but literally NOTHING would surprise me as far as the QB race goes.

It's far too early to make predictions for 2011-2013 starting QBs. First off, Carnes and Turner have yet to step on campus, and Turner still has a ways to go before he can even officially be a Husker. It will be fun to watch it all unfold, but literally NOTHING would surprise me as far as the QB race goes.

You're right. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to predict crazy things like that. I can dream though, can't I?

Scratch that. If I were actually dreaming we'd have a 4-year QB who wins the Heisman & takes us to the promised land. Crazy talk I know.

You're right. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to predict crazy things like that. I can dream though, can't I?

Scratch that. If I were actually dreaming we'd have a 4-year QB who wins the Heisman & takes us to the promised land. Crazy talk I know.

No harm in dreaming. And yes, a stud QB to take hold of the offense and bring us to the next level would be a dream come true. That said, I don't think we need a star QB...just a good solid performer in crunch time.

last years offense was ripped out of a shakespeare play.

Things have to change next year. Whether that means Lee and Green get the ax, I dont know. I honestly really dont care. I just know something has to change. And not one particular thing. A major effing overhaul. Feeling this way, it wouldnt surprise me one bit to see Carnes playing, and I would be open to it. Keeping a positive head, I'd like to believe things cannot get worse on O than they were last year, things will change, and there will be changes by the time the season rolls around that no one expects. We found ways to win with a QB with half an arm, questionable skills and doubtful leadership abilities last year, so starting a true freshman doesnt scare off my hopes for next year. So yeah, Carnes has a chance.

I'm intrigued by what Steve Sippel & Brian Christopherson had to say about the QB race at this point. Neither of them even mentioned Carnes.

They were talking about a spring battle between Cody and Martinez . They seemed not to know much about Martenz. Guys don't quit your day Job becuase that was pretty boring. Come on man. Here is some help on Martienz for you plus some HS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL VIDEO!!

Let's getum all out on the football feild and let the best man win.I want Martinez and Carnes get a fair shot.

Taylor Martinez is a talented all-around athlete who has the ability to play on either side of the ball at Nebraska. One of six Californians in Nebraska's 2009 recruiting class, Martinez compiled huge numbers as a quarterback as a senior. The 6-1, 185-pounder also has shown outstanding ability on defense and could be a factor in the secondary. Martinez was a dual threat quarterback for Coach Matt Logan at Corona's Centennial High School as a senior. Martinez passed for better than 3,000 yards and 28 touchdowns, and completed 61 percent of his passes. On the ground, Martinez added 750 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns. His play helped Centennial to a perfect 15-0 season and a state championship, capped by a victory over De La Salle High, when Martinez threw for 243 yards. Centennial finished No. 2 nationally in the USA Today's final prep rankings. Martinez was named the Big VIII League's Most Valuable Player and also earned the Los Angeles Times' Glen Davis Player-of-the-Year Award. A first-team all-state selection, Martinez was also the Inland Division Offensive Player of the Year, was named the Max Preps California Player of the Year and the Golden States Prep Southern California Offensive Player of the Year. Martinez spent only one season at Centennial High School. As a junior, he quarterbacked San Bernadino Cajon High and accounted for about 1,500 yards of total offense. He spent his freshman and sophomore years at Norco High, where he primarily played in the secondary. Martinez was ranked among the top "athlete" prospects in the nation by Rivals.com, while Scout.com listed him among the top 50 quarterbacks. He was listed among the top 50 players in California by both Rivals.com and SuperPrep and Scout.com ranked him as the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback on the West Coast. SuperPrep also named him to its All-America team. Martinez only visited the Huskers. He is the son of Casey Martinez and Epifania Martinez and was born on Sept. 15, 1990.

Don't worry about it. We all have different opinions. The cool thing is (hopefully) one of these guys in the near future will develop/step up what have you and hopefully become a quarterback we can rely on and maybe even become someone exciting to watch. Carnes is my pick easily (in 2011) but if it's not someone else's I definitely don't take offense to that.

To me Green has a lot to prove next season coupled with Lee coming back healthy. Unless he makes great, great strides and Lee plays more or less like he did last year I don't see Green being our man next season. I want to see a lot of improvement out of Green but if we don't well...

Either way GO BIG RED. I am glad we have so many possible options now at quarterback. Martinez, Spano, Lee, Carnes, Green, Turner (in 2011), Washington.

My pick again is Carnes after this upcoming season but either way it is definitely going to be interesting...

snacks.gif

My prediction for 2010 - Lee starts every game & Green gets considerable PT in preparation for 2011, while Carnes redshirts (exactly what we wish we could've done with Green).

My prediction for 2011 - PT in '09 & '10 pay off for Green as he becomes solid offensive leader. Carnes works his way past Spano & becomes the backup to Green. He gets some PT in blowout wins but nothing more. (small note - we get Turner who redshirts).

My prediction for 2012 - Green is a senior & he is the man. He knows the offense like the back of his hand & plays with confidence and flare as the field general we recruited him to be. Carnes continues his role as backup but gets considerably more PT as a soph. (Turner is solid competition for Carnes. These two will definitely duke it out for the top spot in 2013.)

My prediction for 2013 - Carnes' experience with the offense, precision passing & athletic ability get him the nod over soph Turner.

I know you are just predicting but I really enjoyed reading this! Good stuff!

I know you are just predicting but I really enjoyed reading this! Good stuff!

With one year of separation then, Carnes holds the starting spot down and Turner doesn't start til he's a senior?

I'm intrigued by what Steve Sippel & Brian Christopherson had to say about the QB race at this point. Neither of them even mentioned Carnes.

They seemed to pretty much be talking about the QB spot for spring ball and how Cody and Taylor have a chance to prove themselves with Lee out. Seeing as Carnes won't be here for Spring ball, no sense in even bringing him up. Plus, for anyone to expect Carnes to start as a true freshman is unrealistic. Would it be fun to watch if he was that impressive that he forces the coaching staff's hand? Yes. Would it be beneficial to the team to endure more inconsistent QB play? No (but there's no guarantee anyone else will do any better)