Shotgun Advice

Bradr

Hello all. Don't know if this is the correct area to post this, but this seems like the crowd that would have the best answers to my questions.

I have recently decided to exercise my second amendment right by purchasing my first firearm. And I would appreciate some advice as to what brand and model to purchase.

The purpose of the firearm would be solely for peace of mind and home security. I live in a pretty good neighborhood, but in this day and age, one never knows what kind of wacko is out there. I have no interest in hunting (sorry everyone in this section of the forum! I promise that I love to eat game!). I am married, have no children, and am willing to spend enough to purchase a good brand.

After checking several websites, the consensus seems to be that a shotgun will meet my needs. After checking around, Mossberg appears to get the most votes of confidence, with 500s and 590s being the favorites.

With all that said, any of the following would be much appreciated:

• Where in Omaha to purchase
  • What brand, model, type to purchase
  • Where to be trained in safety, usage, and maintenance

Thanks guys (and gals)

Hello all. Don't know if this is the correct area to post this, but this seems like the crowd that would have the best answers to my questions.

I have recently decided to exercise my second amendment right by purchasing my first firearm. And I would appreciate some advice as to what brand and model to purchase.

The purpose of the firearm would be solely for peace of mind and home security. I live in a pretty good neighborhood, but in this day and age, one never knows what kind of wacko is out there. I have no interest in hunting (sorry everyone in this section of the forum! I promise that I love to eat game!). I am married, have no children, and am willing to spend enough to purchase a good brand.

After checking several websites, the consensus seems to be that a shotgun will meet my needs. After checking around, Mossberg appears to get the most votes of confidence, with 500s and 590s being the favorites.

With all that said, any of the following would be much appreciated:

• Where in Omaha to purchase
  • What brand, model, type to purchase
  • Where to be trained in safety, usage, and maintenance

Thanks guys (and gals)

Mossberg 500 or 590 are great entry level guns. You also can't go wrong with the classic Remington 870. I'd recommend buying it at Wal-Mart. It sounds weird . . . but generally you can buy a new version of the mentioned guns at Wal-Mart for the exact same price as a used model purchased elsewhere. You seriously won't be able to find lower prices on new guns. (Also, if it's not in stock you can order guns from a catalog they have behind the counter.)

Personal preference: I'd go with the Remington. I've seen far too many broken Mossbergs. Some people swear by them, however.

Also, personally, I'd stay away from Benelli Novas. Some people love them . . . I can't stand them.

I would say Mossberg or Remington are winners. I own a 12 gauge Mossberg and have had it for about 14 years. Its in great condition and as long as you care for it you should be fine.

My dad has 3 Remingtons and I like them as well. Both brands are easy to handle and are good guns. I do agree with Carl that if you are new to guns I would go Mossberg, They tend to be a little cheaper and easier to handle. But either choice as far as I am concerned is a winner

Why do you want a shotgun for home protection? If someone does invade your housethat thing is going to hard to wheel around in a room, although effective when you can draw a bead, you want miss. A handgun is easier to hide and carry around in a house.If you are ste on a shotgun, they do make shorter ones with pistolgrip handles and shorter barrels. Happy gun hunting.

Why do you want a shotgun for home protection? If someone does invade your housethat thing is going to hard to wheel around in a room, although effective when you can draw a bead, you want miss. A handgun is easier to hide and carry around in a house.If you are ste on a shotgun, they do make shorter ones with pistolgrip handles and shorter barrels. Happy gun hunting.

Maybe because a shotgun is the most intimidating home defense weapon this side of a flame thrower?

It's more what you feel most comfortable with and have the most confidence in. Actually going to a range or gun club and practicing is the best thing to do. Just buying a gun and sticking it in the closet until you need it is not a formula for a successful defense of your home. Hand gun, rifle or shotgun is really a personal choice. The most important factor is not which gun to purchase but can you really pull the trigger if it comes down to that option. If you're not sure don't buy a gun. imho $.10

as always: gun control means hitting what you aim at.

GBR

A Mossberg is a great begginer shotgun, but I would recommend you check that the shell feed is a solid plate. Often times Mossberg uses an open, frame style feed, and if you ask me that's just begging to have dirt and grime clog your mechanics. Then again if this is only going to be a home defense weapon then wear and tear obviously aren't your main concerns. So I suggest just finding a gun that is both lightweight and comfortable for you to wield. I personally like the new Browning Maxus but the price tag may be a bit high for your first gun. ($1,500 is sure as hell out of my price range!) Also you may want to look for a short barrel, no need to have a 28" barrel if you don't plan on hunting with it.

Another suggestion (and I may catch sh#t from the bigger is better crowd) is to buy a smaller shotgun, like a .20 gauge or even a 410. Sure they don't have the brute force of a .12 gauge, but it doesn't sound like you will be needing that kind of power. Hell IMO a .410 will put down any thing that may come wandering into your home unannounced, and is 10x easier to handle.

Of course if it's ridiculous firepower your are looking for how about a fully auto Saiga 12. You want to talk about stopping power, how's 8 rounds in under three seconds sound? Completely impractical? Sure, but what a bad m-f'r she is!!!

saiga_12k-1.jpg

I agree that a handgun would be the more logical choice, but a shotgun is more versatile as far as if you want to use it for hunting. As a police officer if I have to go into a building to search it, I always grab my shotgun. Why? Because a shotgun slug will shoot through a cinder block wall, which is awesome!!! :lol:

Yes shotguns do have there uses and I am not saying dont get one but moving around in a house with a shotgun can leave you exposed at times if an intruder is in the home, I do have a Mossburg pump, if you buy one get an auto. as the pump require more time. The good thing about a shotgun used as self defense is once you shot it you will make a lot of noise and normally hit what you aim at.

Yes shotguns do have there uses and I am not saying dont get one but moving around in a house with a shotgun can leave you exposed at times if an intruder is in the home, I do have a Mossburg pump, if you buy one get an auto. as the pump require more time. The good thing about a shotgun used as self defense is once you shot it you will make a lot of noise and normally hit what you aim at.

I agree.....................I've set the tone a few times on traffic stops with a carload of dirtbags with a shotgun. Rack that thing and you tend to get some peoples attention. :)

I agree.....................I've set the tone a few times on traffic stops with a carload of dirtbags with a shotgun. Rack that thing and you tend to get some peoples attention. :)

Nothing triggers your butthole's pucker response quite like a shotgun rack that's for sure!