Shotgun Advice

Bradr

• 2 weeks later...

My personal protection weapon of choice is my S&W Sigma 40. However if it's a shotgun you are after I would go with this: http://www.impactgun...7700250779.html

Vince, If you like your Sigma and are considering buying another Smith & Wesson is currently running a rebate deal. $50 mail in rebate on any Sigma purchase. When they go on sale at some of the bigger retailers they usually run around $290 . . . so that's a decent gun for about $240 after the rebate.

Sorry for the threadjack. Back to the shotguns.

I also have a Sigma 9mm and love it. Of all the pistols I've shot the S&W Sigma 40 is the most accurate pistol I've had the pleasure to shoot. Sure the trigger pull is a little longer than others, but it's accuracy cannot be matched by any other pistol in that category.

Again, from a shotgun preference, I love my 870 as it's a work horse of a gun, dependable, and easy to take apart and put back together.

Cabela's has Sigma 9's and 40's on sale for $275.00 in their newspaper insert.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're buying a shotgun, don't piddle around with 12s or 20s. Go to Cabela's, and pick up the nicest 10 gauge you can find, Remington, Browning, etc. Pumps are nice and more functional, but autos will make the gun a little more user friendly. :lol: I picked up my first 10 last year, and wished I would have purchased one years ago.

If you insist on an affordable, reliable 20 or 12, I prefer the 870. I know some guys swear by Mossbergs, but they always seemed "plasticy" and cheap to me. My 870 was purchased new for $175 about 13 years ago, and even though I have an over/under I like to shoot, the last few years, the only time the O/U gets used is at targets or during deer season. The rest of the time, the 870 is having shells run through it, and its good for every thing from dove/quail to turkeys and geese, with the proper choke.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to let people know that the shotgun purchase is on hold for right now.

My employer is probably declaring bankruptcy pretty soon here, and despite his desire to keep us around, he's running out of money to support the office staff. With that said my shotgun money has now gone into savings. Will have to get back to this later in the year...

Wish me luck in the job hunt!

-Bradr

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

Ive only had 1 shotgun and it was a remington. Cost me 125 bucks at the gun pawn shop. Had another store reclean it and check it out. Worked perfect for what i needed it to do which is the same thing you were thinking. Ill admit i didnt read all the threads all the way through but i didnt see a mention about useing a bird barrell or useing buck shots. With the bird barrell being shorter you dont have it being to cumbersome to wheel around and the bird shot will definatel get your perps attention if he should come in the room. Sometimes it only takes that cocking to let someone you know you mean business. But i would think a bird barrell with a nice bird round would be enough. Wouldnt have the kick a slug or a 9shot buck shot would be. Im just sayin.

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to let people know that the shotgun purchase is on hold for right now.

My employer is probably declaring bankruptcy pretty soon here, and despite his desire to keep us around, he's running out of money to support the office staff. With that said my shotgun money has now gone into savings. Will have to get back to this later in the year...

Wish me luck in the job hunt!

-Bradr

If you're still going to be in the market for a shotgun, I'd recommend the Remington 870. It's the perfect shotgun. Mossberg 590 is a damn fine shotgun, but the plastic safety switch tends to break off. You can get a metal one put on for about $100 or so, but you might as well save your money and go with the Remington. 20" barrel length is what you're after for home defense IMO.