Shotgun Advice

Bradr

Yes shotguns do have there uses and I am not saying dont get one but moving around in a house with a shotgun can leave you exposed at times if an intruder is in the home, I do have a Mossburg pump, if you buy one get an auto. as the pump require more time. The good thing about a shotgun used as self defense is once you shot it you will make a lot of noise and normally hit what you aim at.

I agree.....................I've set the tone a few times on traffic stops with a carload of dirtbags with a shotgun. Rack that thing and you tend to get some peoples attention. :)

Nothing triggers your butthole's pucker response quite like a shotgun rack that's for sure!

I am on the bandwagon on the sound for sure, nothing like hearing that slide to let everyone know that it is time for everyone to pay attention. Go with the pump shotgun, the sound alone may solve the situation without having to clean the carpet.

IMO the benefits of a shotgun for home defense in general outweigh anything a handgun provides. If you can remedy the situation without having to even fire, thats the route you should practice to take. A shotgun offers a higher intimidation factor, plus it can be wielded offensively in a physical manner with greater impact and distance from the aggressor. Obviously, getting physical may not be the best option, but it also may be if the situation presents itself. I'd take whacking someone in the knee or back of the neck with a shotgun over a handgun every single day of the week.

So, I think the biggest thing is make sure you are comfortable with whatever you get. I dont know where you are at, but I know several gun ranges around here where you can rent different weapons and fire them. I highly recommend you doing this before your first gun purchase. HIGHLY. You might spend a couple bills, but 1--you'll learn a ton 2--youll find what you like before the hassle of buying it and 3--its fun as hell and a great excuse for you to pound your chest for a couple hours.

Personally, i love remingtons. Especially the tactical M870. Gun boner right there everytime I pick it up! :)

Why do you want a shotgun for home protection? If someone does invade your housethat thing is going to hard to wheel around in a room, although effective when you can draw a bead, you want miss. A handgun is easier to hide and carry around in a house.If you are ste on a shotgun, they do make shorter ones with pistolgrip handles and shorter barrels. Happy gun hunting.

I agree that a handgun would be the more logical choice, but a shotgun is more versatile as far as if you want to use it for hunting. As a police officer if I have to go into a building to search it, I always grab my shotgun. Why? Because a shotgun slug will shoot through a cinder block wall, which is awesome!!! :lol:

A definite plus for a shotgun is that the weapon is user friendly. Pump, point in the direction of the perp, and pull the trigger.

Another plus is buckshot has a limited range. You don't have to worry about killing the neighbors next door with an errant shot from a #4 shotgun shell as opposed to a .38, 9mm, or a shotgun slug.

What are your views on a lightweight nylon stock for the shotgun?

Nothing triggers your butthole's pucker response quite like a shotgun rack that's for sure!

:laughpound Poetic! But for some reason, I've always been more fearful of silent knives than guns..probably because I'm pretty sure bullets would just bounce off me.

I wonder..How short can you safely cut off your Shotgun Barrel (for easier manuverability).

I think it's illegal in most (all?) states, but for strictly home use? :dunno

I inherited my Dad's old 12Gage that we used to terrorize pheasants with.. and my Big Brothers .22 Ruger Rifle with a scope.

But to really piss off the bears while camping I bought a 9mm fake glock for ~$130 from a discount gun store... made in some communist sounding country...Still haven't tried it out yet after ~10 years.

But for home protection..especially with a skiddish Wife and nosy kids..I'd hate to supply an intruder with something to shoot us with..I'd rather invest the time and effort in Karate or other training in self defense..something they can't use against you...

Just make sure you spend time actually sparring when you take these courses.. :box I've since found out car-jackers won't attack you in slow motion like the other students in Karate class do...The one that attacked me wouldn't even laugh when I asked him to slow down.

Why do you want a shotgun for home protection? If someone does invade your housethat thing is going to hard to wheel around in a room, although effective when you can draw a bead, you want miss. A handgun is easier to hide and carry around in a house.If you are ste on a shotgun, they do make shorter ones with pistolgrip handles and shorter barrels. Happy gun hunting.

I agree that a handgun would be the more logical choice, but a shotgun is more versatile as far as if you want to use it for hunting. As a police officer if I have to go into a building to search it, I always grab my shotgun. Why? Because a shotgun slug will shoot through a cinder block wall, which is awesome!!! :lol:

A definite plus for a shotgun is that the weapon is user friendly. Pump, point in the direction of the perp, and pull the trigger.

Another plus is buckshot has a limited range. You don't have to worry about killing the neighbors next door with an errant shot from a #4 shotgun shell as opposed to a .38, 9mm, or a shotgun slug.

I guess I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but if it makes it lighter and is still safe then it's a good thing IMO. We have Mossbergs on our department and they take a little getting used to. I came from a department that used the Remington 870 and that gun is pretty much indestructable.

I guess I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but if it makes it lighter and is still safe then it's a good thing IMO. We have Mossbergs on our department and they take a little getting used to. I came from a department that used the Remington 870 and that gun is pretty much indestructable.

I prefer the Remington model over Mossberg too. Never had a shell jam in all the years I've had mine.

I also have an Ithaca semi-auto 12ga. w/ acid etch on the breech. It is my favorite for pheasant/waterfowl hunting because it is a well balanced shotgun with little recoil.

I just asked about the nylon stocks, because all my hi-power rifles have them on, and I really like them. After years of deer hunting with wood stocks, the gun gets quite heavy when tracking, so the nylon stocks are a godsend.

I will say if the Mossbergs get a little dirty we tend to have more problems with them than the Remingtons. Which is why I'm a big fan of the Remingtons.

I have Remington 870 which I'v had for 34 years and have never had an issue with it. This gun has been used in many upland bird, dove, turkey, deer (shot slug), and water fowl hunts across the country and in all sorts of weather. I still use it today when turkey and water fowl hunting.