June 3rd 1980,Grand Island

Anyone else have stories about that night? I was almost killed trying to save horses on the Northwest side of town. Saw that f4 up close and personal. We had 5 twisters touch down but there was a reported 36 in the air. That was one hell of a scary night and a devastating view the next day.

I've got more anyone else?

My grandpa lived on Bismarck Street. Said he woke up and a bunch of bowling balls from Super Bowl were in his yard.

My aunt and uncle lived on Bismarck street too. Their whole apartment complex was wiped off the street. National guard had the town locked down but a buddy of mine had a red vega and we went by the Safeway store that was an emergency red cross station.

I jumped out and tore down a couple of red cross signs and we stuck them to the sides of the Vega. Every time we came to a road check I would flash my DEPENDENT air force I.D. and the guardsmen would let us thru ( weekend warriors). I can't begin to describe the carnage and destruction on South Locust st.

I was helping homeless neighbors when the president flew over in the chopper. I can still re-call him sitting in the open side of the Huey and waving at us.

I was living in Cairo at the time. That night was scary as hell though. Drove around somewhat the next day couldn't get very far into town. I have never seen such devastation.

I went to Centura when we first moved back to Nebraska.Hated that school! My grandfather farmed close by in Rockville and my wife and mother are both from Loup City.

I'm pretty sure i was still a sperm swimming around in my dad's flesh balloon. But i heard a lot of stories about it growing up, as my Mom lived in Grand Island when i was born. Apparently she moved out there in 1982, and i was born in 1984. I read the book that the event was based from and saw the movie on Lifetime one night.

I was in Fremont, 10 years old. I remember that night very clearly, as does my wife (she's from Lincoln). It's amazing to think how scary that must have been.

I'm nearly 40 years old, I've lived in Nebraska my whole life, and I've never seen a tornado. Weird, huh?

Same for me, lived in Western Iowa all my life and have never actually seen a tornado either

I was working for a construction union out of Lincoln at the time. We went out and tried to clean up the debri from the tornado. DAMN.

Same as when I was in the Air Nat'l. Guard and those twisters hit Omaha in the 70's. They left us on street corners with oak sticks for weapons to guard the affected areas. SCARY

GBR