Why can't we be like bama?

After seeing Alabama and Nick Saban win the NC this year it has got me wondering why cant we be the same kind of team. Saban is all about the defense and mostly the secondary, much like Bo, Saban is fiery and expects nothing less than perfect exacution, much like Bo, Saban is hard on his assistant coaches, much like Bo, and Saban has a OC that wants to run run run then use play action passing to pick up big chunks of yardage, nothing like what we have. I just don't understand why we think we can't run out of i-formations more often and have to pass the ball to win. If you watch as much football as I do you quickly realize that defense and a good running is the recipe for a national title. Our program is a lot like Alabama except for the fact that they have a lot more in state talent to recruit from. If we could move our offense to more of a running style that relys a lot less on timing and the qb we would have a lot better chance of being even more like bama and win a national title. :rant

• Fire 5

There was some kibbutzing between Saban and Bo prior to the MNC game this year. Scuttlebutt I've heard is that Bo and/or Carl and/or Watson are going to be visiting Alabama during the offseason to have Saban return the favor by sharing info on what he does and how/why it works.

Somewhere buried in the middle of last season Bo talked about Alabama and being like them, so your wishes are probably going to be granted soon.

Man I would be so happy to see that. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall listening to Saban and Bo talk about defense. They have to be the two smartest defensive coachs in college football. I bet the conversation between them about the texas game went like this.

Saban: How did you get so much pressure on Mccoy?

Bo: I put #93 at nose tackle

Saban: How did you disrupt their timing in the passing game?

Saban: How did you game plan against their running game?

Saban: You think he could transfer before the NC?

• Fire 2

Man I would be so happy to see that. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall listening to Saban and Bo talk about defense. They have to be the two smartest defensive coachs in college football. I bet the conversation between them about the texas game went like this.

Saban: How did you get so much pressure on Mccoy?

Saban: How did you disrupt their timing in the passing game?

Saban: How did you game plan against their running game?

Saban: You think he could transfer before the NC?

:LOLtartar:clap That's deep, real deep.

I've read elsewhere that T.O. and Milt Tenopir have been having whiteboard sessions with Bo, Cotton & Watson. Pelini is probably following through on his word when he says he wants a power running style of football. If anyone is qualified on matters of power running football, it's T.O. and Tenopir.

As far as what knapplc raised in his post concerning Saban, it wouldn't surprise me. Afterall it's been said that T.O. and Charlie McBride consulted with Bobby Bowden sometime in the early 90's before we went on our 3 NC title runs.

I've read elsewhere that T.O. and Milt Tenopir have been having whiteboard sessions with Bo, Cotton & Watson. Pelini is probably following through on his word when he says he wants a power running style of football. If anyone is qualified on matters of power running football, it's T.O. and Tenopir.

As far as what knapplc raised in his post concerning Saban, it wouldn't surprise me. Afterall it's been said that T.O. and Charlie McBride consulted with Bobby Bowden sometime in the early 90's before we went on our 3 NC title runs.

I have to plead some ignorance on this topic... why would coaches share their secrets? I know it happens, but I just don't really understand it (?)

I have to plead some ignorance on this topic... why would coaches share their secrets? I know it happens, but I just don't really understand it (?)

Not necessarily secrets. Just sharing basic game planning methods, etc. You have to remember that college coaching is like a fraternity organization. They have conventions, seminars, etc. So a lot of information is being shared throughout.

Not necessarily secrets. Just sharing basic game planning methods, etc. You have to remember that college coaching is like a fraternity organization. They have conventions, seminars, etc. So a lot of information is being shared throughout.

TO actually went to Delaware in the 1980s. They were running some sort of single wing and he wanted to get R. Craig and Rozier (I think) in the backfield together.

Yep, this is true. And coaches by and large aren't crazy secretive. They talk about their methods and their coaching ideas all the time in the press, on their weekly shows, etc. I'm sure there are some things they keep secret for that "edge" but for the most part they're pretty open with each other.

There was a regular parade of coaches in and out of Boyd Epley's weight rooms all throughout the 80s when Husker Power came into vogue. Osborne had no qualms about sharing training info.

Change industries and you'd see this sharing of "secrets" in the form of an open forum among competitors. IMO it's just best practice to consult with those who can help you perform at a higher level.

Ya, I can fully understand it being a best practice if you're 'seeking' the help, and within any larger profession. However, I scratch my head somewhat, when translating to the coaching of top programs... an increasingly cut-throat enterprise. Asking for, and getting, key professional-assistance that just may come back to haunt the 'teacher', is something that I think would be far more probable in this instance. I 'spose it has far more to do with the fraternity of coaching at this level... which I admittedly don't belong to.

Why was the original post given a negative? It was his opinion and there was nothing inappropriate in it. But I think coaches don't mind bragging a little about their success strategies.

not a negative post at all... just the 'wonder' about the coaches themselves