Why Nebraska travels so well

jnkyrdoff6

Growing up my family never took vacations (we had to count staying in a holiday inn during the county fair as a vacation) because dad didn't want to leave the farm that long and mostly because he didn't want to deal with me and my brother fighting on a trip. Once we hit high school, though, we were old enough that mom and dad didn't mind traveling. The only real family vacations we have taken to this day are trips to bowl games, it's the ultimate vacation. You get to sight see for a few days and then wrap up the trip by cheering on the 'skers to another bowl win. It's the perfect ending to any vacation (NOTE: we learned to always sight see BEFORE the game, as a loss could put a damper on the rest of the trip)

Related:

I have searched for an aerial view of ND stadium 3/4 full of red, to no avail.

Anybody?

I found this one

neb-seaofred1.jpg

Thanks

Edit: That was off a ND blogsite?

yes it was

what if bob davie played for the win against nebraska

the article is about a quarter of the way down, if your interested in reading it

in the comments section for that blog, one ND fan posted:

PAK'00

"Oh and I forgot to add... despite the annoyance at so MANY of them being in our stadium, as a whole, the Husker fans were by far the most gracious group of opposing fans at ND that I've seen."

just goes to show you that we truely are the greatest fans in college football

The first time I went to skers away game was the Holiday Bowl, and I was just really surprised at how many more husker fans were there, seeing as how AZ is right next to CA.

Nebraska fans own Arizona. Arizonans for Nebraska, AZ4NE.com, is one of the largest alumni groups. ASU doesn't get near the amount of support that NU gets here. U of A has to contend with the Southern Arizonans for Nebraska. I actually think if the economy was better, NU wouldv'e had an even more dominant fan showing at the Holiday. Californians for Nebraska is another huge alumni association. Its tough for opposing teams' fans, even ones in their home state, to outdrawn NU in Arizona or California bowl games.

I think that the "Travel well" part is a little misleading.

I grew up in a "large" Nebraska town of ~5600, but didn't meet some of them until we all moved out here to a metro area of over two million in PHX Arizona area.

One couple I met lived just down the street from where I was living when I noticed the "37" county Nebraska plates on their cars while walking my Husky and we struck up a conversation.

The first time I came out here (while I was a Highschool Jr.) was to visit one of my older Brothers, who like literally hundreds of fresh graduates of UNL's Engineering College had moved out here where a lot of Engineering Jobs were.

Last time we played ASU out here, tickets were really hard to get even though sellouts were rare...Mainly because of the Nebraska transplants, but also because of their extended families and college buddies taking the opportunity to come out for a visit and take in a Husker game (two birds/one stone).

I also met a handful of former HHS classmates at tailgates durring the '95 MNC win over Florida that were already living out here.

Funny....Now..All my vacations involve going back home to Nebraska.