Shatel: Watson wants to keep foes guessing

Nexus

Just because Nebraska fans were wrong about McBride doesn't mean that we are wrong about Watson.

We weren't wrong about McBride - at least, not about McBride circa 1986-1990 (give or take). Our defense failed miserably several times in crucial situations in those years, and the blame rested squarely on the shoulders of Charlie. He was recruiting strong, slow, run-clogging D Linemen and LBs, and it cost us dearly. Had he not changed his philosophy we would have continued to fail in games against teams built on speed.

McBride realized we could compete well against Big 8 foes who ran the football as well as national foes who threw (like Miami, Florida State, etc) if we kept up with our weight program but put speed on top of the list on recruiting. It took a few years to get the right kids and get them into starting roles, but once he did, we all know what happened.

Same thing could happen with Watson. It's not that Watson isn't a capable OC, it's that he's hide-bound to certain ways of doing things. If he thinks outside of his particular box he could succeed in spades here, but he has to make that change. If he doesn't, we may be right to call for his head if things continue the way they did the last couple of years, injuries or no.

Back then I don't remember McBride using the excuse of injuries and blaming young players for his defensive problem unlike a certain OC and his Watsonites fans. :hmmph

Or did I miss we had to use the LB or DE with a broken arm because he didn't tell us the truth that he was hurt or was afraid his backup was to young.

Just because Nebraska fans were wrong about McBride doesn't mean that we are wrong about Watson.

We weren't wrong about McBride - at least, not about McBride circa 1986-1990 (give or take). Our defense failed miserably several times in crucial situations in those years, and the blame rested squarely on the shoulders of Charlie. He was recruiting strong, slow, run-clogging D Linemen and LBs, and it cost us dearly. Had he not changed his philosophy we would have continued to fail in games against teams built on speed.

McBride realized we could compete well against Big 8 foes who ran the football as well as national foes who threw (like Miami, Florida State, etc) if we kept up with our weight program but put speed on top of the list on recruiting. It took a few years to get the right kids and get them into starting roles, but once he did, we all know what happened.

Same thing could happen with Watson. It's not that Watson isn't a capable OC, it's that he's hide-bound to certain ways of doing things. If he thinks outside of his particular box he could succeed in spades here, but he has to make that change. If he doesn't, we may be right to call for his head if things continue the way they did the last couple of years, injuries or no.

"Same thing could happen with Watson." I agree. That said, I won't hold my breath. We'll see.

The continuity thing does make sense. This is why Gill was retained by Clownahan. However, my point with McBride has absolutely nothing to do with Cozworthless. It has everything to do with TO and his ability to see things beyond what the typical fan does. He retained McBride. I have seen no evidence at all to lead me to believe he wanted Cozworthless around. In fact, the reason he stated for hiring Bo had to do with a broken defense. TO kept McBride, and that turned out pretty well. TO wanted Watson retained. Considering TO's track record versus the fans track record, I'm going to side with TO on this one. It doesn't mean TO will be right and the fans wrong with regards to Watson. However, if I'm a betting man I'm putting money on TO's side rather than the fans side. On a side note, we finished #2 in 99' with a total offense ranked 44th. This year, Alabama's offense ranked #42.

The continuity thing does make sense. This is why Gill was retained by Clownahan. However, my point with McBride has absolutely nothing to do with Cozworthless. It has everything to do with TO and his ability to see things beyond what the typical fan does. He retained McBride. I have seen no evidence at all to lead me to believe he wanted Cozworthless around. In fact, the reason he stated for hiring Bo had to do with a broken defense. TO kept McBride, and that turned out pretty well. TO wanted Watson retained. Considering TO's track record versus the fans track record, I'm going to side with TO on this one. It doesn't mean TO will be right and the fans wrong with regards to Watson. However, if I'm a betting man I'm putting money on TO's side rather than the fans side. On a side note, we finished #2 in 99' with a total offense ranked 44th. This year, Alabama's offense ranked #42.

No one is arguing that TO wanted Cosgrove retained. Similarly, no one is arguing that TO did not encourage Pelini to keep Watson . . . at least for awhile. All I'm wondering is if Watson was supposed to be a stopgap coach who held things together until the defense was shored up. I think the retention or release of Watson is entirely in Pelini's hands now.

I think just seeing first hand some of the play calls he made this season convinced me he really isn't all that great of an offensive coordinator. Trying far too much in my opinion to give Zac Lee the ball on a called qb run plays. All but forgetting the tight end this season when the rest of our receivers were dropping balls and being shuffled from first team to scout team and vice versa. In the article he talked about having to play to your teams strengths. Personally I didn't think he did a very good job of this last season.

:yeah

People use stats in the oddest ways some times.

It wouldn't surprise me if the same people that insist our defense was the best because of scoring (when other people pull out yards) are using yards, not results, to say that Watson sucks.