LP Caught

we just couldn't let a year go by without some kind of LP's-in-trouble-again bit of news now could we?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/2...bn18wanted.html

Former NFL running back sought by S.D. police

surprisingly, Nebraska is not even mentioned until the 4th paragraph of a 7-paragraph article. that may be some kind of record for US media (Canadian articles on LP either never mention or barely mention NU).

One would think that women would have learned to avoid this loser by now:

"Former NFL running back Lawrence Phillips is wanted for questioning by San Diego police in connection with a domestic violence case that police said occurred here earlier this month.

Phillips also has an outstanding felony warrant from Los Angeles for an unrelated domestic violence case, San Diego police said."

here's the kicker though: "Police are offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information on Phillip's whereabouts. Police said he is in excellent physical condition and should be considered dangerous."

:yeah

Yeah he was a scumbag, I can think of another kid that was an awesome waste of talent...i will give you a hint - he quit the nfl a couple times now and plays in europe. He may have a Heisman trophy.

Damn if I could go back in time I would snag Crouchs trophy and give it to "touchdown tommie" (he was the greatest qb of nebraska history maybe even the greatest player) and no heisman, no retired jersey what a shame :steam

Not that I agree, but Ive actually heard some suggest that the mighty Oz is partially to blame for LPs continued decline, for not being a harder discipliniarian.

are these the same people that say TO only suspended LP for "one game". i've actually heard that one. from CU fans mind you, but they actually said that and believed it. and then went on to put Kellen Huston in the same category as Phillips.

but what would be the hardest discipline TO could have done to LP? kicking him off the team. right? no temporary suspension, just cut all ties.

so then LP is free with nothing else do between September 1995 until the april 1996 draft, but roam the streets of Lincoln,NE or go back to LA when he would have likely just committed another thugish act.

if kicking a guy off the team would have better helped the guy then why this pattern?:

He was kicked off the St. Louis Rams, and kicked off the 49ers, the latter having put him on a very short leash. the ultimate legal discipline from a football team: YOU'RE GONE. did that help him? apparently no.

The Allouettes were short with him when he started acting up and told him to hit the road, that didn't help him either.

see a pattern? tough discipline (as much as a team can do) or easy discipline. no matter what the guy just goes back to what comes natural to him: being a thug.

sorry but the only discipline this guy needs is one that would be illegal coming from a football coach. maybe stick a ball & chain around the guy's ankle and put him on a road crew fixing pot holes or something and wearing a sign that says "DANGER to Society : Keep Back 150 ft"

LP had plenty of chances to shape up both at NU and the NFL/CFL/Europe

people seem to forget this (because it is kind of unbelievable IMO) but LP actually did well in NFL Europe.

NFLE - Good on and OFF the field! who could've imagined?

CFL - good on the field, typical jerk off the field.

NFL - sucked on both counts.

AFL - Incomplete. skipped out on the team after a few days- if that.

IMO though, he could get on-field redemtion in the California Penal League!

Ok, you guys can say LP and Crouch were the biggest wastes of talent; but at least they did fulfill their college career. The biggest waste of talent to go through UNL would be non other than Deangilo (sp) Evans. In high school he broke all of Barry Sanders records, he was very fast, very quick, and could turn or stop on a dime. However, he was the biggest wuss on the team. He to me was the biggest waste of talent ever to grace UNL!

How anyone can say Crouch was a waste of talent is beyond me. He is maybe the best Qb to ever come through NU. I don't get it. I guess if you are talking after college maybe. But there was no guarantee he had what it took to be a WR in the NFL.

Here's something for you. In the 3 games Larry Phillips was the full time starter in 95 he rushed 59 times for 524 yards and 10 TD's. That is freakin 8.8 yards a carry. He was going to be a front runner for the Heisman. That my friend's is a waste.

In the first post i alluded to my own amazement that Nu was really barely mentioned in the article and not overmentioned as some news sources tend to do with Phillips stories. but...

DING DING DING DING DING- WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS!

The news has apparently hit the AP wire, and here's the first sentence most newspaper readers probably saw:

"Police are seeking former NFL running back Lawrence Phillips in connection with a domestic-violence case."

but the The San Francisco Chronicle altered the sentence just a tad:

"Police are seeking former Husker running back Lawrence Phillips in connection with a domestic-violence case."

And a headline to match: Former Huskers RB Phillips wanted in domestic-violence case

on Google news it looks like quite a few picked it up. but others apparently had no problem leaving it the way the AP wrote it.

Of course the home of the 49ers wouldn't want to put a more home based headline like "Former 49er...". that would just make too much sense.

(ok, rant over, thanks)