Gregg Doyel's message to NFL prognosticators on Suh vs. McCoy

I don't understand the argument that Suh didn't have as good of talent around him which is why he was so productive. Didn't Nebraska's defense rank higher than OU's? Crick put up some pretty good numbers as well. What kind of numbers did the #2 at OU put up?

Adrian Taylor was the NG who played the most last season. He finished with:

Tackles - 37 (19 solo)

TFL - 9 (5 solo)

Sacks - 4 (3 solo)

PDF - 1

QBH - 3

Blocked kicks - 1

Compare that to Crick:

Tackles - 73 (31 solo)

TFL - 15 (10 solo)

Sacks - 11 (8 solo)

PDF - 4

QBH - 14

Blocked kicks - 1

It's a tough comparison since OU and NU ask their D Lines to do different things, but overall Suh/Crick's stats destroy McCoy/Taylor's. Again, it's not even close.

I don't understand the argument that Suh didn't have as good of talent around him which is why he was so productive. Didn't Nebraska's defense rank higher than OU's? Crick put up some pretty good numbers as well. What kind of numbers did the #2 at OU put up?

Tackles - 37 (19 solo)

TFL - 9 (5 solo)

Sacks - 4 (3 solo)

PDF - 1

QBH - 3

Blocked kicks - 1

Compare that to Crick:

Tackles - 73 (31 solo)

TFL - 15 (10 solo)

Sacks - 11 (8 solo)

PDF - 4

QBH - 14

Blocked kicks - 1

It's a tough comparison since OU and NU ask their D Lines to do different things, but overall Suh/Crick's stats destroy McCoy/Taylor's. Again, it's not even close.

I think Venebles has struggled because he asks his DL to do different things. OU relies on their LB's to make more plays. The reason this hurts them is because of these spread offenses. We were more successful at shutting down the spread because our DL makes the plays on the QB while the LB's cover to stop the short dump passes. I still find it intersting that Stoops annually has his assistants picked over by teams looking for head coaches, but Venebles name just never seems to come up.

The statement that McCoy disrupts the passing game more than Suh is absolutely mind boggling to me.

Amen. There's no excuse for being a "football expert" and making such a statement. Not only do you have the statistics to back up Suh's dominance, you have game after game after game, and the bigger the stage the better Suh played. On top of all that, you now have the Combine results to show you that Suh is more athletic, more agile and stronger. On top of all of that you have the ridiculous number of awards Suh won, and on top of all of that you have his fourth-place finish in the Heisman AND the fact that he pulled in more votes than any pure defensive player ever.

It's not just some evidence. It's not like it's even open to interpretation. It would be like watching the 1996 Fiesta Bowl then voting Florida #1.

:yeah

Tackles - 37 (19 solo)

TFL - 9 (5 solo)

Sacks - 4 (3 solo)

PDF - 1

QBH - 3

Blocked kicks - 1

Compare that to Crick:

Tackles - 73 (31 solo)

TFL - 15 (10 solo)

Sacks - 11 (8 solo)

PDF - 4

QBH - 14

Blocked kicks - 1

Didn't McCoy have 34 tackles and 6 sacks? Maybe McCoy is actually OU's number 2

Greg Doyel is my hero, a media man with a brain.

For what it's worth - Mel Kiper basically made the same statement last night on ESPN Radio's Football Night in America (or whatever it's called after Unsportsmanlike conduct ends). He said (to paraphrase), how is McCoy a better pass rusher when Suh matched his sack total for the season in one game - and this game was against the best team he played - Texas.

On this note, part of me is glad that Suh may go to my Detroit Lions (very small part - the Lions fan)... But the majority of me (the Husker fan) is feeling a little sorry that he could go from Bo's system to the Lion Cubs.....talk about a culture shock.

This guy Mayock seems to be trying to make a name for himself, it boils down to that. On the off chance that McCoy goes ahead of Suh, he gets to say, "This is what I've been saying all along."

On the Rams' site they have some video of Mayock from NFL Network where Eisen says that Mayock has put himself "out on an island" with his pimping of McCoy. The segment is just another example of how Mayock is completely wrong. I forget the name of the coach sitting next to him, but he just makes Mayock look foolish. Mayock once again brings up this nonsense about McCoy being "more disruptive in the passing game" and both Eisen and the coach explain why Suh is the bigger force, not McCoy.

This guy has gotten way more press than he deserves. It's too bad that it's coming at Suh's expense, that's what really irks me.

I don't get Mayock. I've watched the NFL draft occasionally the past couple of years, and the guy just flat out CALLS IT, as in he names the player just before the pick, for most of the picks, even into the later rounds. How the hell do you do that? It's like he has prior knowledge but wants to pretend it's a prediction rather than spoiling the team's announcement at the podium. That, or it's just uncanny.

Im not saying Mcoy is better but the stats on tackles could be mis leading how many mins did SUH play and how many Mins did Mcoy play before you just go off of just tackles and sacks. Suh will prove it in the NFl which one is better, he is a top 5 pick either way the money is good and cant complain.