Has anyone gone to a Memorial Stadium Tour

I just found this...

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=27216

on huskers.com

I went to the stadium a couple times when I was younger (school trip and a camp or something where we played with some of the players on the field) but I didn't know that anyone could go for a tour. I've also been during games, but that's not quite the same thing as going specifically to see history, trophies, husker workout area, etc... On the website it says you can go for a self guided tour 7 days a week or a professionally guided tour on Wednesdays and Thursdays between 8:30 and 11:30am for groups of 10 or more.

Have any of you ever gone on one of these self or guided tours? If so, how did it go? Have any pictures? I guess it's free, so thinking my family and I are going to have to take advantage of the opportunity!

Last season when I came down for the K-State game they were so shocked that I came all the way from Alaska that they put me in the alma mater guided tour. It was awesome, I hadn't been to a game since 2001 so to finally see all the new additions was great. Well worth the guided tour, especially for the price. And to watch my two year old daughter run all over the turf at memorial stadium was fantastic..

If you can, take the guided tour. I go to UNL and the self guided tour all you can do is walk up to where the students sit and look at the field from half way up. But I do admit I still go up there every once in awhile cause i miss the stadium and go through withdrawls. :facepalm:

When my father was interviewing for a position with the University I got a tour done by someone outside the Athletic department. The stadium is fairly accessible though, we used to just go in the south entrance into the football offices, take the elevator down and walk past the field to the Hewitt when we were students.

My brother went a couple of weeks ago, and he said it was awesome, most of it has been redone in the last year or so. They have this thing called the game day experience and it just blows you away. According to him, if TO would of been standing at the end asking for money he would of gave him a credit card and told him to take what you need....

Alright well thanks for your posts everyone... I think we'll probably go with a guided tour because it sounds like that might be the way to go. Of course now that I know I can go on a self tour 7 days a week I will probably do one of those every time I'm in Lincoln!!!

When my dad was coaching there, my brothers and I would go to some of the practices and by the end of them after we were done cleaning up extra balls and tape and whatnot, we would just scavange around for a while. this was back in the mid 80s before all of the cleanup and Renov....

it was like stepping into a time warp some of the things we would find in old storage rooms under the east stadium--old letter jackets, trophies, pictures, cleats, helmets, nut cups, 8mm films...just lots of old stuff. In the old press box there were journalists notes, stacks of statistics, game day books (man i wish i had those!), in the old locker room they had these hilarious old huge forearm pads and giant old school neck rolls. It was basically just a treasure trove of all this really cool football stuff.

even though we were only about 10 years old or so, we didn't take it for granted being there. we always went into the trophy room and just stared at the 2 heismans and all the old Orange Bowl trophies. we knew it was magical and that we were so lucky to be running around in there. I just wish I had scooped up some of what was considered 'trash' back then to be able to see it now. Or maybe had some pictures of us playing in all the equipment inside the old indoor practice joint.

A funny side story--Lane Kiffin is the same age as my older brother and he used to try and pick on us all time cuz he thought he was hot sh#t back then. Well, one day we were playing smear the queer in the endzone during practice and he basically pile drived my melon into the turf, and while I was getting back up he shoved me back down and started talking some smack. Well, my brother didn't think he was picking on someone his own size, so we teamed up and gave him a once over. He never really bothered either one of us after that.

but yeah, i don't know if Memorial Stadium is as unorganized and free-wheeling as it once was before they added all the new stuff, but that's my little inside story of how we used to explore it.

When my dad was coaching there, my brothers and I would go to some of the practices and by the end of them after we were done cleaning up extra balls and tape and whatnot, we would just scavange around for a while. this was back in the mid 80s before all of the cleanup and Renov....

it was like stepping into a time warp some of the things we would find in old storage rooms under the east stadium--old letter jackets, trophies, pictures, cleats, helmets, nut cups, 8mm films...just lots of old stuff. In the old press box there were journalists notes, stacks of statistics, game day books (man i wish i had those!), in the old locker room they had these hilarious old huge forearm pads and giant old school neck rolls. It was basically just a treasure trove of all this really cool football stuff.

even though we were only about 10 years old or so, we didn't take it for granted being there. we always went into the trophy room and just stared at the 2 heismans and all the old Orange Bowl trophies. we knew it was magical and that we were so lucky to be running around in there. I just wish I had scooped up some of what was considered 'trash' back then to be able to see it now. Or maybe had some pictures of us playing in all the equipment inside the old indoor practice joint.

A funny side story--Lane Kiffin is the same age as my older brother and he used to try and pick on us all time cuz he thought he was hot sh#t back then. Well, one day we were playing smear the queer in the endzone during practice and he basically pile drived my melon into the turf, and while I was getting back up he shoved me back down and started talking some smack. Well, my brother didn't think he was picking on someone his own size, so we teamed up and gave him a once over. He never really bothered either one of us after that.

but yeah, i don't know if Memorial Stadium is as unorganized and free-wheeling as it once was before they added all the new stuff, but that's my little inside story of how we used to explore it.

Man, oh man! That's really an awesome story of some amazing things you got to experience! I doubt that it's the same as back then, but I wish I could have experienced some of the things you were fortunate to experience regarding Memorial Stadium. That around 10 years old was the best Husker football days of my life when we were in the mid 90's owning college football! I remember all the times the football players would come play a basketball game at Columbus High School (across the street from my parents house) and I would go watch in amazement with all of my friends. I remember my very best memory from the around 10 years old days was when dad decided he's taking me to the Fiesta Bowl. Nothing has ever been like it for me... My aunt sometimes had players over to her house in Lincoln for meals around that time and I always wanted to see my Aunt Pat of course! I also remember going for some kind of field trip to Memorial Stadium around that age... I literally crawled the whole length of the field and kissed each yardline. That right around 10 years old was a great time for me as well, but I would have loved to have the opportunities you had!