If Nebraska Did Go Undefeated in 2010-11

Playing in the BCS National Championship January 10, 2011  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This one should be a no-brainer, if the Huskers and Bama go undefeated that means they both won their conference championship games, which would give them the edge over Ohio State (plus, I assume the Big 12 and the SEC will be stronger conferences than the Big 10 next season). Boise State, once again, gets the shaft due to their conference, despite a few tough non-conference games.

This one should be a no-brainer, if the Huskers and Bama go undefeated that means they both won their conference championship games, which would give them the edge over Ohio State (plus, I assume the Big 12 and the SEC will be stronger conferences than the Big 10 next season). Boise State, once again, gets the shaft due to their conference, despite a few tough non-conference games.

Normally I would agree with that statement, but with the Big 10's impressive Bowl Season last year, some good records, and the rankings to go along with it... I wouldn't say it's a no brainer.

Final AP and USA Today

#5 Ohio State 11-2

#7 Iowa 11-2

$9 Penn State 11-2

#16 Wisconsin 11-3

Unfortunately the Big 10 is probably known as the #2 conference in the nation because of the Big 12 being kinda down. I know that those same teams might not finish this well again, but I would guess they will all be in the top 25 during the season.

So again I'd say not a no brainer

Normally I would agree with that statement, but with the Big 10's impressive Bowl Season last year, some good records, and the rankings to go along with it... I wouldn't say it's a no brainer.

Final AP and USA Today

#5 Ohio State 11-2

#7 Iowa 11-2

$9 Penn State 11-2

#16 Wisconsin 11-3

Unfortunately the Big 10 is probably known as the #2 conference in the nation because of the Big 12 being kinda down. I know that those same teams might not finish this well again, but I would guess they will all be in the top 25 during the season.

Don't forget about the conference championship games (of which the big 10 does not have). Those are huge in terms of boosting BCS average, since most of the time its two highly ranked opponents squaring off.

Final AP and USA Today

#5 Ohio State 11-2

#7 Iowa 11-2

$9 Penn State 11-2

#16 Wisconsin 11-3

Don't forget about the conference championship games (of which the big 10 does not have). Those are huge in terms of boosting BCS average, since most of the time its two highly ranked opponents squaring off.

I haven't forgot, but still not sure because it would come down to Nebraska's wins over top 10 ranked Texas in the regular season then top 10 win against Texas or Oklahoma in the CCG vs a stronger regular season schedule in Ohio State with no CCG. Ohio State will likely play 4 top 4 teams in their regular season in Miami, Iowa, Penn State, and Wisconsin.

So what's more impressive? beat 2 top 10 teams or 4 top 20 teams? Just sayin... I get that they don't play a CCG and this is really what got me curious about this poll to begin with...2 better quality wins vs 4 quality wins.

And of course the chances of four unbeatens is about 1 in a 100,000

Like last season? When there were 5? :koolaid2:

If this happens, I'd think Nebraska vs. Bama happened. Bama would be guaranteed, no one is going to vote them out as returning champs. It's be us vs. OSU, and I think with the BIG XII teams we play, and the Championship still freshi in the minds of the press, we'd be ahead at the end.

Boise would be close, you with three traditional national powers, they won't jump two of them. A team like Cincy last year maybe, but not the historys that NU, Bama, and OSU possess.

I think this is a pretty tough question considering opinions of the conferences cannot be formed yet because the season hasn't even started.

Pre-season opinions right now are:

- Boise St plays a weak schedule

- The SEC is the "best" conference in the country

- The Big 10 is "weak" and can't win any big games

- The Big 12 is "right behind" the SEC

Personally, I feel Boise St does play a relatively weak schedule and this year is no different. The SEC does have a great football conference and have proven this for the last two years.

The Big 10, at least in my opinion, had one of the best overall conferences in the country last year. They were probably right behind the SEC in 2009. This kind of annoys me that I am even saying it - I dislike the Big 10 - but I'm just trying to be objective. The Big 12 took a few steps back last season. Make any excuse you want - key injuries, key player graduation, etc. - but it was quite obvious that the 2009 version of the Big 12 was worse than the 2008 version of the Big 12.

The above pre-season opinions may change as the 2010 season starts, but it would take at least halfway into the season to have a solid understanding of where the conferences are in the pecking order, and by then, the teams mentioned in the poll may not even be undefeated anymore and/or out of National Championship contention.

Another thing to think about is that the SEC as a whole should be pretty solid next year, so even if Bama did go undefeated, they would still likely have their fair share of close calls... If OSU's offense can step it up with Pryor, and they win most of their games pretty soundly, that would be an advantage. Remember how Bama dropped a spot after nearly losing to Rocky Top last year? And UF dropped a spot when they almost got beat by Arkansas. Also, Boise St. should start ranked no lower than 3 in the BCS. If NU is undefeated around week 6 or 7, they would jump Boise in the BCS. And if they continued to win, it would be hard to justify dropping NU below Boise if both were undefeated. Then, maybe the CCG would be enough for (potentially number 3) Nebraska to jump (number 2) Ohio St in the BCS. So maybe, having BSU undefeated would be a nice security blanket for NU :ahhhhhhhh

Boise State has to get by Virginia Tech this year. I don't know how easy it will be to run that offense against the lunch pail defense....all that being said I think it would be Nebraska v Alabama.

If you don't think we wouldn't get a "sympathy/prove they are back" vote from a lot of folks I think you are underestimating the "feel good" story that writers look for.

Boise is the only one with a good chance IMO. And of course the chances of four unbeatens is about 1 in a 100,000, but I'll say Alabama vs. Nebraska. Nebraska would have to face Texas twice or OU and Texas, so that's enough to beat out OSU.

In the last 7 years there has been 8 unbeatens. The most in any one year was 3 in 2004 - USC, Auburn and Utah. Only 2 years has there been no unbeatens.