Husker coaches excited about Martinez's potential

what did leon do at Hawaii?

i think not much really..... just kinda was (im not even sure if he graduated or what) i think he played a role but wasn't the go to guy or anything... around that time was when devon bess and a couple other guys were in the spot light over at UH......

I don't really know much about the situation, but it sounds like this kid could be great. I know from limited viewing last year that Cody Green and Zac Lee didn't seem to be anything too special, and if this guy can compete, thats only going to push everyone to do better. Coming from a Vikings fan, I know what its like to have a bad QB situation.

Wow. That was an awesome article. Basically they're saying he's impressed them enough in the short time he's been there that they aren't even thinking about moving him to another position. It sounds like he has the poise that a good quarterback needs too. I can't wait for the spring game.

I definitely would not say that, at all.

Martinez's athleticism was never a question mark, it's his ability to understand the offense, clean up his throwing motion, understand reads, etc,. I have no doubts Taylor will be the guy to talk the 'Wildcat' from Rex, just because we need his athleticism on the field. But right now, Taylor offers about as much with his arm as Cody did last year.

You might want to go back and re-read the article. Direct quote from the coaches themselves:

'Nebraska coach Bo Pelini was adamant in his pre-spring news conference about the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Martinez playing and staying — at quarterback'.

Not wide receiver. Not safety.

Sure, they're options. Watson said those doors aren't closed, and that the quiet, humble Martinez is open-minded about playing another position.

"But are we going to do it? No, because we want to see this through," Watson said. "He's got talent."

Wow. That was an awesome article. Basically they're saying he's impressed them enough in the short time he's been there that they aren't even thinking about moving him to another position. It sounds like he has the poise that a good quarterback needs too. I can't wait for the spring game.

Martinez's athleticism was never a question mark, it's his ability to understand the offense, clean up his throwing motion, understand reads, etc,. I have no doubts Taylor will be the guy to talk the 'Wildcat' from Rex, just because we need his athleticism on the field. But right now, Taylor offers about as much with his arm as Cody did last year.

You might want to go back and re-read the article. Direct quote from the coaches themselves:

'Nebraska coach Bo Pelini was adamant in his pre-spring news conference about the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Martinez playing and staying — at quarterback'.

Sure, they're options. Watson said those doors aren't closed, and that the quiet, humble Martinez is open-minded about playing another position.

"But are we going to do it? No, because we want to see this through," Watson said. "He's got talent."

goodbye green, hello martinez

'Nebraska coach Bo Pelini was adamant in his pre-spring news conference about the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Martinez playing and staying at quarterback'.

goodbye green, hello martinez

After the spring, Green needs to take a look in the mirror and decide if wants to stay at Nebraska. Because with all this hype Martinez is getting, he must be the real deal. Green is going to be wearing a headset and holding a clipboard. It sounds like that Green hasnt improved at all, which is not a good sign.

FWIW, i think we will see Martinez line up in the slot alittle bit. I feel we can be awful creative in this formation(reverses,option,double pass).

Crazy! People are hopping off the Green bandwagon already? For a guy who's faster and more athletic but even worse of a passer than he is?

This is the SAME hype that Green and Lee got last year. I thought we learned our lesson there - but it seems like we're always just searching for the next guy to believe in, when they've shown us nothing. I have always been critical of people saying Green was better than Lee, and I think that hands down Lee is the man. But I was never writing off Green, which it looks like people are doing now. As everyone said - kid was a true freshman. Now he's a true sophomore. He's got the physical tools, he's mature, he's well spoken, and he's made strides in the technical and mental aspects of the game.

But sometimes fans in Nebraska won't be happy unless we get another option quarterback with the athleticism of Eric Crouch - even though we don't run that offense anymore!

'Nebraska coach Bo Pelini was adamant in his pre-spring news conference about the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Martinez playing — and staying — at quarterback'.

Really, I think Willie offers more useful insight than the hype filled surface stuff you get from spring training articles. He's well in the know, and he's shown this over the years.

Those doors aren't closed. Does that sound like a quarterback of the future to you, or does that sound like a project that's still in the experimental stages? And where's the quote from Pelini that shows him being adamant? Sounds like a little wishful thinking on the part of the journalist to me. Also, reports that Martinez is a humble kid is pretty contradictory to things that floated around last year ... I don't know anything about that, so I'll reserve an opinion - just one thing I read and went, "hmm, I'll take that with a grain of salt."

People just want to be excited about something. It's been a long time since we had genuine excitement around here for on-the-field results. Since Quarterback is the most highly visible position, that excitement translates to that position pretty easily. That's all this Lee/Green/LTrav/Martinez stuff is.

Crazy! People are hopping off the Green bandwagon already? For a guy who's faster and more athletic but even worse of a passer than he is?

This is the SAME hype that Green and Lee got last year. I thought we learned our lesson there - but it seems like we're always just searching for the next guy to believe in, when they've shown us nothing. I have always been critical of people saying Green was better than Lee, and I think that hands down Lee is the man. But I was never writing off Green, which it looks like people are doing now. As everyone said - kid was a true freshman. Now he's a true sophomore. He's got the physical tools, he's mature, he's well spoken, and he's made strides in the technical and mental aspects of the game.

But sometimes fans in Nebraska won't be happy unless we get another option quarterback with the athleticism of Eric Crouch - even though we don't run that offense anymore!

'Nebraska coach Bo Pelini was adamant in his pre-spring news conference about the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Martinez playing — and staying — at quarterback'.

Really, I think Willie offers more useful insight than the hype filled surface stuff you get from spring training articles. He's well in the know, and he's shown this over the years.

Those doors aren't closed. Does that sound like a quarterback of the future to you, or does that sound like a project that's still in the experimental stages? And where's the quote from Pelini that shows him being adamant? Sounds like a little wishful thinking on the part of the journalist to me. Also, reports that Martinez is a humble kid is pretty contradictory to things that floated around last year ... I don't know anything about that, so I'll reserve an opinion - just one thing I read and went, "hmm, I'll take that with a grain of salt."

Of course it's in the experimental stages! edit: He's a redshirt freshman. (zoogies reminded me of this...thank you..!)

Look, I have no idea how good Martinez is besides the film I've seen on him and from what I've read. I guess for me if Pelini is saying 'hey, this kid is staying put at quarterback' and that he's now not considering moving him to another position to me that says that he and the other coaches feel he's legit as a quarterback. Especially if you consider how many guys we have at the position now not to mention the two new truly hyped recruits we have coming in. (Carnes, Turner)

Also I keep on reading references of how bad Martinez's arm is in comparison to Cody Green? Really? Could someone please back this up with some actual proof???

I'll just sum it up by saying I just think it's cool that the coaches came out and said what they did about Martinez regarding him staying put at QB. I don't care who our quarterback is as long as someone steps up and plays better than our qb's did last year. To me at least it makes the quarterback race a little more exciting. In case you missed it Nebraska's quarterback's were nothing to get to excited over last year...

May the best man win and if anything I'm just glad there's a lot of competition at QB.

Fair enough. I realize now you were mostly debating the point on how likely Taylor was to remain at QB.

I was mostly directing the venting at people saying Green now needs to start thinking about transferring. That's nuts, IMO.

Nonetheless, our QB situation isn't that full of depth, so I'd imagine that's a big factor in why Taylor is still working at QB, in addition to needing to make use of his skillset, which would be fit more for the wildcat than as a starting QB.

Although I think that makes it MORE exciting - he's going to get on the field sooner and showcase all that athleticism. By the way, Taylor is a redshirt frosh already, so it's not just a few months.

Fair enough. I realize now you were mostly debating the point on how likely Taylor was to remain at QB.

I was mostly directing the venting at people saying Green now needs to start thinking about transferring. That's nuts, IMO.

Nonetheless, our QB situation isn't that full of depth, so I'd imagine that's a big factor in why Taylor is still working at QB, in addition to needing to make use of his skillset, which would be fit more for the wildcat than as a starting QB.

Although I think that makes it MORE exciting - he's going to get on the field sooner and showcase all that athleticism. By the way, Taylor is a redshirt frosh already, so it's not just a few months.

I would definitely agree that it's crazy that people think Green should think about transferring. I just have to say that this is one of the craziest quarterback races I can remember. So many guys being talked about and so many questions left to be answered. Thanks for reminding me about Taylor also...!

I love hearing about T-Mart as much as any Husker fan, but to think he'll be the starting qb this year is absurd. If he were that good, why wouldn't they have pulled his redshirt last year and tried to win a couple more games? Bo has always said "we're about the here and now, we don't worry about next season." You better believe he were better than CG he would have played last year. Some folks have said he couldn't have known the playbook well enough, that's why he didn't play... if you were watching the same games I watched I think it's pretty clear that the playbook for last year was not thick. Not at all. I like the wildcat idea, he's a freak of an athlete. But I don't see anyway he can be the qb