Friday practice & Saturday Scrimage

I had a unique privledge of being one of the many coaches to attend the UNL coaches clinic. We were allowed on the field for the entire Friday practice and Saturday scrimage, not to mention the numerous hours spent with the coaching staff. Here is just some of my observations from my time there.

O-line has along way to go, Smith appered to struggle alot during both practice and scrimage. Obviously he seemed comfortable when he was alowed to play guard but he often looked frustrated and just plain sloppy when having to manage the center duties. The staff is really working on basic techniques and procedures. The kids seem to be coming around but not everyone is catching on right away.

Expect single/double back read options for a base offense this year. They are hitting the A gap hard alot this spring and it is a big emphisis from the coaches about reading the ends and being able to pull back and run when needed. The QB's are working alot on reading the defenses and getting out into open space to make plays with there feet.

Martinez is the real deal! During practices and scrimage no one managed the offense better than Martinez. His ability to tuck and run at the right times and overall decision making had him hands down the number 2 guy. I would even go to say that his throws were better than Green's.

Zac Lee is still number one, alot of people might not like this but even though he wasn't allowed to throw he looked like the best QB on the field in drills and awareness. Now how that translates when he is back in the saddle could be different but he looked impressive when he did compete against the other QB's and you can just tell everytime he was supposed to throw that he really wanted to. I think that desire and drive is helping him in a big way this spring.

Cody Green, the kid has tallent and a presence. The only problem is that he is still inconsistent. He didn't show anything that says he improved since last season. His throwing ability leaves to be disired but you can tell he is working on that. His ability to tuck and run seemed slow compaired to Martinez. Cody spent the most time with the number 1 offense but didn't seam to be able to manage what the staff was asking him to do, yet.

I'll add more later since I'm out of character space...

If Green really has not improved over last season, as seemingly is the case --- you saw him --- then unless the Fall is a time of MASSIVE, MASSIVE, HUGE improvement, it is time to consider a position switch for Cody. If he is still reckless and clueless then (in fall) he still is characterized by bad decisions then I'd say TE or, well.... not sure where to put him... but QB, no.

I never did understand the Green hype. He really was not that big a recruit. Others had him as an athlete and not a QB and very few looked at him other than us. How is it that some are inclined to think that Green was a big national recruit. he was solid, but not big. he may pan out... but unless things really change, it is unlikely that he'll be a Qb of note for NU. Probably not even a QB at all.

he was a 4 :star:star:star:star rivals 250 prospect with offers from boston college, texas a&m, texas tech, houston, miss st, baylor, and okie state. So according to rivals he was #173 on the rivals 250. Thats a pretty solid recruit.

gotta agree with robsker on this one, Green was our biggest recruit two years ago but hell both carnes and turner appear to be better qb prospects.

from everything im hearing i would agree with the OP that martinez will be #2 by the time the season starts....

I would say that some of this stuff is unnerving, but it's still early in the year. Our o-line is young with guys moving around a lot. Ricky Henry also isn't in there smashing heads with anyone. Plus, perhaps our d-line is just that good that they are making the o-line look like hell. :koolaid2:

As far as Martinez goes, I'm still on the fence. The kid has athletic ability and know-how, we all know that. But, he has no college game experience and it was just two practices. It's very possible that Green was having a two bad days and Martinez was having two good days. That said, it really wouldn't surprise me if Martinez makes second string.

I'm not too excited about a lot of running into the a-gap. As long as our line is blocks better than last year it shouldn't be a problem, but we can't continue to just pound it in there for minimal yardage per game. I'd love to see Burkhead as the inside pitch option and Helu as the outside pitch option, though.

Not too concerned yet about the D outdoing the O in Spring ball. That's the way it generally is in Spring ball......the D has an advantage because the O is not really installed and has to run vanilla sets that everyone can predict and react to. BTW, thanks much for the great update, Olt. Really appreciate it.

I am on the Martinez bandwagon, jumped off the Green wagon just for the reason that has been stated, very inconsistent throwing, he cannot throw a timing pattern or at least has not learned to, much better throwing and scrambling in a broken pocket(as he did in high school).

Would not be surprised if Martinez emerges at #2 if he has a good spring game, Lee is still #1 no matter what any other QB does, unfortunely.

I respect your opinion, but I honestly see no reason to throw him out of any conversation. I don't really care who starts as long as the best QB plays, but I have not seen enough of Green to make any sort of judgement, and neither has anybody that isn't on the coaching staff. We saw Green sparingly against Sun Belt teams and then sparingly throughout the rest of the season. Baylor was the only game he started and played full time, and he had flashes of really good things, but also some bad things. After that, there is no reason to judge what he produced because the coaches never gave him more than a couple of plays in a game, which is nowhere near any time to get in some sort of rhythm.

One thing to remember is that Green was responsible for our only touchdown against TT. Sure, he had his bad moments in 2009, but he also had some pretty good ones.

If Green really has not improved over last season, as seemingly is the case --- you saw him --- then unless the Fall is a time of MASSIVE, MASSIVE, HUGE improvement, it is time to consider a position switch for Cody. If he is still reckless and clueless then (in fall) he still is characterized by bad decisions then I'd say TE or, well.... not sure where to put him... but QB, no.

I never did understand the Green hype. He really was not that big a recruit. Others had him as an athlete and not a QB and very few looked at him other than us. How is it that some are inclined to think that Green was a big national recruit. he was solid, but not big. he may pan out... but unless things really change, it is unlikely that he'll be a Qb of note for NU. Probably not even a QB at all.

He won't be switching. He is a QB through and through, and he was recruited to play as much. Sure, maybe some larger DI schools didn't offer, but we've already seen a lot of this from coaches. They take guys that best fit the program, not the best guys at the position.

And I'll have to go with aspeedlin4589 on this one. He was a big recruit. But, like I said, the coaches recruited him for a reason. Plus, the kid played in Texas 4A which is the second most difficult division in all of Texas. The kid has a strong, impressive background.

he was a 4 :star:star:star:star rivals 250 prospect with offers from boston college, texas a&m, texas tech, houston, miss st, baylor, and okie state. So according to rivals he was #173 on the rivals 250. Thats a pretty solid recruit.

Agreed.

O-line has along way to go, Smith appered to struggle alot during both practice and scrimage. Obviously he seemed comfortable when he was alowed to play guard but he often looked frustrated and just plain sloppy when having to manage the center duties. The staff is really working on basic techniques and procedures. The kids seem to be coming around but not everyone is catching on right away.

Who was lined up with the #1s on offensive line? Who first to rotate in/out?

Great info, btw. Many thanks for posting. :)

One thing to remember is that Green was responsible for our only touchdown against TT. Sure, he had his bad moments in 2009, but he also had some pretty good ones.

Yeah, and on that same drive he almost threw two or three interceptions, but luckily the TT defenders dropped them.

I'm not saying Green is good or bad, but just from what I have seen, it just doesn't seem like he has "it". None of the QBs I watched last year do.

Sure Lee had a great game in the Holiday Bowl, but that's only one game. He still isn't a very good runner (no elusiveness at all, he just runs straight forward with his head down) and his passing is still very questionable.

Hopefully one of the QBs with experience or one of the "new" QBs can step up for the Huskers this year. I do not want another repeat of 2009.

Yeah, and on that same drive he almost threw two or three interceptions, but luckily the TT defenders dropped them.

I'm not saying Green is good or bad, but just from what I have seen, it just doesn't seem like he has "it". None of the QBs I watched last year do.

Sure Lee had a great game in the Holiday Bowl, but that's only one game. He still isn't a very good runner (no elusiveness at all, he just runs straight forward with his head down) and his passing is still very questionable.

Hopefully one of the QBs with experience or one of the "new" QBs can step up for the Huskers this year. I do not want another repeat of 2009.

Good points.

But for a true Freshman at a place that isn't stock piled with talent like Texas or Florida is, it's pretty much what I expected of him.

If Green is flat out beat for the #2 job, he takes a redshirt and develops for a year to return to battle for the job as a RSo in 2011. We don't have the depth to afford moving him around.

Exactly. Plus where else would you put him? We're plenty deep at tight end. I don't know if he has the speed and agility to be a wide receiver.

Cody Green is a quarterback. We'll see if he is good enough to be the starter.

I had a unique privledge of being one of the many coaches to attend the UNL coaches clinic. We were allowed on the field for the entire Friday practice and Saturday scrimage, not to mention the numerous hours spent with the coaching staff. Here is just some of my observations from my time there.

Expect single/double back read options for a base offense this year. They are hitting the A gap hard alot this spring and it is a big emphisis from the coaches about reading the ends and being able to pull back and run when needed. The QB's are working alot on reading the defenses and getting out into open space to make plays with there feet.

Martinez is the real deal! During practices and scrimage no one managed the offense better than Martinez. His ability to tuck and run at the right times and overall decision making had him hands down the number 2 guy. I would even go to say that his throws were better than Green's.

Zac Lee is still number one, alot of people might not like this but even though he wasn't allowed to throw he looked like the best QB on the field in drills and awareness. Now how that translates when he is back in the saddle could be different but he looked impressive when he did compete against the other QB's and you can just tell everytime he was supposed to throw that he really wanted to. I think that desire and drive is helping him in a big way this spring.

Cody Green, the kid has tallent and a presence. The only problem is that he is still inconsistent. He didn't show anything that says he improved since last season. His throwing ability leaves to be disired but you can tell he is working on that. His ability to tuck and run seemed slow compaired to Martinez. Cody spent the most time with the number 1 offense but didn't seam to be able to manage what the staff was asking him to do, yet.

gotta agree with robsker on this one, Green was our biggest recruit two years ago but hell both carnes and turner appear to be better qb prospects.

from everything im hearing i would agree with the OP that martinez will be #2 by the time the season starts....

Indeed. His offers were from boston college, texas a&m, texas tech, houston, miss st, baylor, and okie state. Where was texas, Alabama, Tennessee, Michigan, USC, Florida, Oregon, Ohio State, Florida State, Penn State, Oklahoma, ---- big time recruits generate interest (and offers) from some, most, or all of these. So... Green was a solid but not a major recruit. And, I could be mistaken here, but I am under the impression that several (at least) of those who did offer him had him as an athlete with the notion that he might not end up a QB (or even begin as one).

This is not to take anything away from the young man --- it is however to take away the unrealistic expectations. Based on all first hand reports up to this point, Green does not appear to be a D1-ready QB. Maybe in a few years. But as of now, there is no reason to think that he can be a viable QB by Fall. Who knows, I might be surprised some day... but right now nothing would suggest that he'll contribute next year at QB.

Indeed. His offers were from boston college, texas a&m, texas tech, houston, miss st, baylor, and okie state. Where was texas, Alabama, Tennessee, Michigan, USC, Florida, Oregon, Ohio State, Florida State, Penn State, Oklahoma, ---- big time recruits generate interest (and offers) from some, most, or all of these. So... Green was a solid but not a major recruit. And, I could be mistaken here, but I am under the impression that several (at least) of those who did offer him had him as an athlete with the notion that he might not end up a QB (or even begin as one).

This is not to take anything away from the young man --- it is however to take away the unrealistic expectations. Based on all first hand reports up to this point, Green does not appear to be a D1-ready QB. Maybe in a few years. But as of now, there is no reason to think that he can be a viable QB by Fall. Who knows, I might be surprised some day... but right now nothing would suggest that he'll contribute next year at QB.

The number of offers or who offered still doesnt take away the fact that rivals saw him as the 173rd best prospect in the country, which is pretty good. You were right he didnt have the Texas or Alabama or Florida but those also dont recruit like nebraska. Those schools offer maybe 50 kids a year, and thats a big maybe. You were right he wasnt a five star gotta have him prospect but he also asnt a question mark offer. Texas A&M offered him as a quarterback, and so did houston ond baylor.

Not trying to discredit Oltmer's post because I think it was insightful, but merely to show how two people can be at the same place, but see things differently. The post I'm about to quote below seems to say the opposite of what Oltmer shared with us.

I've got just a few minutes.

Offense:

QB: Green and Martinez both looked pretty solid. I would give Green the nod at this point because of his ability to throw....and yes it was much improved. Martinez is very very quick, but then again most of you knew that. I think we are going to be pretty good in this spot.

RB: I thought we looked pretty good in this spot. Burkhead ran with the 2's, but wow does he have and explosive burst. He is very difficult to handle out of the spread. Helu looked solid as usual and said he is feeling very good.

WR/TE: I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised, by the first group. My main concern is depth, beyond the first group it really looked like our WR group from the TO/FS days. Guys that stood out; Paul, Reed, and McNeil.

OL: We have to have the biggest line in the nation. Massive human beings. I really thought we looked pretty good, and our DL struggled to get pressure. We have also gone to 3ft splits across the board, and these boys can wall off some people.

Offensive thoughts: This group will be much improved (MUCH), The spread seems to be their niche, and our QB's fit the mold. We are running a ton, of option, zone read, and midline. Our PA pass gave the D fits all day. Our skilled position people really looked at home. We put the ball on the ground quite a bit but that will change with more practice.

Defense:

DL: I'll be honest, I didn't see anything that made me say wow, this weekend. The spread look was giving us some fits, and our OL is just simply so big and physical these guys had a hard time getting pressure. The PA had something to do with that also. They made a few nice plays but all in all they were pretty much neutralized.

LB: Interesting note. Saturday's #1 D, began with Fisher, and Whaley. I think we have some players here, but we still have some learning to do. I think we will be physical however.

DB: PJ Smith was no where to be seen. The #1 D started with West and Gomes, but it appeared as though Thenarse is real close. He however still has a bit of a hitch in the gittyup. We have some speed to burn out there, but need to do a better job of getting off of blocks. We had some trouble covering crossing routs, but that will improve.

Defense: To be honest the offense moved the ball pretty well, in fact the #2 offense scored against the #1's. The spread look was causing us some problems because we are just so athletic in the backfield. My concern with losing Suh is who's is going to eat up two blocks. We were always getting people free because of Suh's presence. We are going to need to get better in that area. Bo was getting a little hot as the afternoon wore on. However we are very athletic on both sides of the ball, and 2010 should be a fun year.

The number of offers or who offered still doesnt take away the fact that rivals saw him as the 173rd best prospect in the country, which is pretty good. You were right he didnt have the Texas or Alabama or Florida but those also dont recruit like nebraska. Those schools offer maybe 50 kids a year, and thats a big maybe. You were right he wasnt a five star gotta have him prospect but he also asnt a question mark offer. Texas A&M offered him as a quarterback, and so did houston ond baylor.

Spot on. That was what I was trying to say as well. He was a solid recruit (solid by national standards --- and quite a significant recruit by NU standards, as NU does not compete well for national recruits). But it seems that people have the expectation that he is to be this great QB that everyone wanted. He was and is not such a player. The key things that, I surmise, made him as highly rated as he was (which was somewhat high, #173) was his amazingly mature frame and measurables at such a young age. To be a legit 6' 4" and 220+ pounds of basically solid muscle with a really nice array of track numbers (40 yard dash) etc. will draw some attention to be sure. However, even in watching his HS tapes one can legitamitly question whether he is a true QB or an athlete playing QB. I'd surmise that our coaches were hoping that they could develop him as a QB and that he would master the scheme and contribute. Like any recruit its somewhat a crap-shoot as to whether it will pay off. And with Green it may ultimately pay of --- but so far, that has not been the case (nor are things progressing in such a way as to predict much success).

Another in this thread mentioned that Carnes and Turner were better HS QB's. Such is almost certainly the case. I'd argue that Taylor Martinez was more successful as a HS QB as well. He won as much or more (as a team member), won more awards, had better numbers (I am reasonably sure) and looked better on film. But.... Martinez did not then (nor does he now) strike such an imposing figure (he is what, 6'0" and 190 vs 6'4" 220+). Pure arm strength goes to Green as well. The imagination is heightened when one sees the imposing figure of Green as a 17 year old --- where one wonders what an athlete like that might be able to do (which again is why he most likely was rated as high as he was --- as opposed to being ranked based upon concrete performance to that point. But if you look at success as a HS QB, Martinez was at least (if not more) successful both as a leader and as an individual, than Green. No, he did not have the physique or arm strength or power as a runner --- but as a package, he was at least the same caliber --- and yet even here, with Martinez, the question of QB vs athlete as QB is legitimate.

That Martinez is rising above Green at this point really should not surprise anyone.

One final note. It appears that judgment, decision making, and picking up scheme are still major problems for Green as the reports coming in are that he either hesitates, misses an opportunity, fails to pull the trigger or pulls the trigger when he should not. So... theoretically, these are problems that experience can fix. We'll see. But, at the very least folks, don't expect Green to emerge in Fall as "the man." he might... but nothing to date would suggest that he will.

As for Martinez... he has a better chance of emerging (as the #2). That said.... unless Zac Lee cannot (for health reasons), he almost certainly will be "the man" next year (as in #1). All this Green or Martinez stuff is for the backup and will have significance next year only if Lee gets hurt (or cannot heal well from his current injury). The year after will be a Green vs. Martinez vs. Carnes issue (if all are still QB's by then).

Spot on. That was what I was trying to say as well. He was a solid recruit (solid by national standards --- and quite a significant recruit by NU standards, as NU does not compete well for national recruits). But it seems that people have the expectation that he is to be this great QB that everyone wanted. He was and is not such a player. The key things that, I surmise, made him as highly rated as he was (which was somewhat high, #173) was his amazingly mature frame and measurables at such a young age. To be a legit 6' 4" and 220+ pounds of basically solid muscle with a really nice array of track numbers (40 yard dash) etc. will draw some attention to be sure. However, even in watching his HS tapes one can legitamitly question whether he is a true QB or an athlete playing QB. I'd surmise that our coaches were hoping that they could develop him as a QB and that he would master the scheme and contribute. Like any recruit its somewhat a crap-shoot as to whether it will pay off. And with Green it may ultimately pay of --- but so far, that has not been the case (nor are things progressing in such a way as to predict much success).

Another in this thread mentioned that Carnes and Turner were better HS QB's. Such is almost certainly the case. I'd argue that Taylor Martinez was more successful as a HS QB as well. He won as much or more (as a team member), won more awards, had better numbers (I am reasonably sure) and looked better on film. But.... Martinez did not then (nor does he now) strike such an imposing figure (he is what, 6'0" and 190 vs 6'4" 220+). Pure arm strength goes to Green as well. The imagination is heightened when one sees the imposing figure of Green as a 17 year old --- where one wonders what an athlete like that might be able to do (which again is why he most likely was rated as high as he was --- as opposed to being ranked based upon concrete performance to that point. But if you look at success as a HS QB, Martinez was at least (if not more) successful both as a leader and as an individual, than Green. No, he did not have the physique or arm strength or power as a runner --- but as a package, he was at least the same caliber --- and yet even here, with Martinez, the question of QB vs athlete as QB is legitimate.

That Martinez is rising above Green at this point really should not surprise anyone.

One final note. It appears that judgment, decision making, and picking up scheme are still major problems for Green as the reports coming in are that he either hesitates, misses an opportunity, fails to pull the trigger or pulls the trigger when he should not. So... theoretically, these are problems that experience can fix. We'll see. But, at the very least folks, don't expect Green to emerge in Fall as "the man." he might... but nothing to date would suggest that he will.

As for Martinez... he has a better chance of emerging (as the #2). That said.... unless Zac Lee cannot (for health reasons), he almost certainly will be "the man" next year (as in #1). All this Green or Martinez stuff is for the backup and will have significance next year only if Lee gets hurt (or cannot heal well from his current injury). The year after will be a Green vs. Martinez vs. Carnes issue (if all are still QB's by then).

well said, couldnt have said it better myself sir

I'm not on the CG band wagon, but some of you guys talk like you don't know who Tommie Frazier is. Florida and Miami recruited him to NOT play quarterback, two very dominant programs at the time. It's very possible that CG had conversations with current powerhouses but expressed no interest to play anything other than quarterback, therefore he dropped them off his list. Just because a guy wans't offered by a particular school, doesn't mean he isn't the perfect fit for another school.

Again, I'm not saying CG is amazing nor that he is the perfect fit. There is just more to his story than who he was recruited by.

well said, couldnt have said it better myself sir

I'll give you a reason why Green was looked at as a savior....Josh Freeman and Blaine Gabbert. The Skers finally got a high profile QB to sign on the dotted line after 2(higher profile) QBs ditched us. We didn't have much of a choice than to label Green this way. Just a thought......