Announcers

Pavelka was pretty good. All the screaming Rose does about a 2 yd gain is pure stupidity. ..... You can't tell me that Rose does not have a sheet of stupid adjectives he can babble for situations much like a coaches play sheet.

Like Soondoggies? That was always my favorite.

Well, next to, DOUBLE EXTRA POINT! DOUBLE EXTRA POINT! DOUBLE EXTRA POINT!

Wow, I'm going to have to be very careful because if calling someone an idiot on a football message board is a bannable offense I could be in trouble quickly.

We welcome opinions. Love the coaches? Hate the coaches? We don't care. We simply ask that members not attack other members - in other words, debate and contest other people's opinions, but don't resort to attacks to do so. It too easily degenerates into a flame war, and makes the place unpleasant. Besides, all of us have an opinion, and most of the time there's no way to "prove" one opinion is "better" or "worse" than another.

That's why we have the Woodshed forum - if you do have to get personal, take it there.

With Pavelka, you had no idea what was happening...he had to correct himself time after time after plays because he couldn't follow the ball. ex: He'd start out with first and ten, and call a gain of 6...then say it was second and seven...

With Rose, you know where the ball is, what down it is, and the time and score at all times.

Sure he gets wordy, and that can get annoying, but at least you know what is goin' on.

Honestly, I'm not sure what games you're listening to because Rose is so busy telling us about the Eagle from Central or Indian/Patriot from Millard South that we have no clue what's going on until the play is almost over.

I have a very difficult time following the game when Jim does a game. I listened to the Kansas St game last year and there were numerous times I had to turn to the person I was with and ask what down it was.

As for his baseball, I will leave that for another day, especially when he decided three + years ago to compare the Nebraska baseball team to the Duke Bluedevils in basketball. Come on that's about as homer as it gets. Give me Gary Sharp any day on the diamond.

I grew up w/Kent, and I prefer him and Gary (what did Kent do to Gary????). Kent did do the "7 yard gain, its 2nd and 8" too often.

I used to like Rose when he was on MidAmerica Sports Nightly, but his ego sucks and his diatribes are horrible, too. He thinks that he is the smartest guy in the history of all mankind, yet he is a total butt-kisser to the University. I agree with a previous post, that it is difficult to listen to a game he is calling, rarely do you hear a score or an accurate play call. Its a shame because he really is pretty knowledgable.

my wifes cosin was the dentist well he still is a dentist but hes not my wifes cosin anymore cuz she aint my wife no more. okay i guess hes still her cosin but not my wifes cousen. he told me lyle was the only man woman or child who could talk to him when he was drilling his teeth. said he could understand the words too. but he had a lot of beers when he told me that so who knows?

my wifes cosin was the dentist well he still is a dentist but hes not my wifes cosin anymore cuz she aint my wife no more. okay i guess hes still her cosin but not my wifes cousen. he told me lyle was the only man woman or child who could talk to him when he was drilling his teeth. said he could understand the words too. but he had a lot of beers when he told me that so who knows?

Bro, are you ok?

:wasted

my wifes cosin was the dentist well he still is a dentist but hes not my wifes cosin anymore cuz she aint my wife no more. okay i guess hes still her cosin but not my wifes cousen.  he told me lyle was the only man woman or child who could talk to him when he was drilling his teeth.  said he could understand the words too.  but he had a lot of beers when he told me that so who knows?

Bro, are you ok?

:wasted

:rollin:smokin

Listen, I worked in radio for 10 years, now I teach it.  I have a masters degree in Journalism.  I may have a bit of knowledge in the field.

Yes, he does go off on tangents, but if you listen, really listen, you will hear the down and distance, etc.  Pavelka was horrible at it.

You may not like him for other things, but he follows the ball better than most across the country.

He has been offered several jobs in the Professional Baseball ranks, but chose to stay in Lincoln so he would have a chance at the NU job.  If he were soooooo bad, he wouldn't have had these kind of job offers.

No, I'm 100% serious. Take my challenge, try to chart a game - I've tried several times, it can't be done. Rose is much better at baseball than football because there's enough dead time in baseball to fill with his fanciful bs. Now, if you'd like to hear a top notch college radio baseball broadcast listen to a Texas game next year.

I'm not a broadcast journalist and I don't teach broadcast journalism. I've just been listening to sports on the radio since about 1955 and I know when "the picture is being painted" and when it isn't. Tell me the story of the game, don't tell me a story.

Ok, I accept your arguement...bygones. The thing about announcers is you either like them or ya don't. (I was just on an ego trip mentioning my resume...my bad, I'm kind of a jerk like that). You don't have to have any experience to know what you like and what you don't, that's for sure!

I really have some problems with Jim's PBP, too, but I didn't like Pavelka, and I know Rose personally, so I am a bit biased!

This is an interesting arguement...

I should start a new topic about who your fav broadcaster is.

I think my fav radio PBP guy is Kevin Harlan...not as good on TV, he was terrific for the Chiefs!

I loved Lyell, btw.......and I grew up with Pavelka, too.

There was a guy in Scottsbluff named Gary Drown who was one of the best PBP guys ever, and was offered the NU job at one time, but didn't take it, b/c he didn't want to move his family, and KOLT was doing well at the time. You guys would have loved him!!!

Like him or not, I guess we have another year of Rose...and Fiala...and Fiala needs to go back to practicing law!!!!!!!!!!

For all you nellies out there clamoring for Pavelka's return, let me just state once and for all that Pavelka will NOT be coming back to the mike! I highly doubt the good folks at Pinnacle Broadcasting would be impressed about his low-rated morning show on KKAR or the way he left Saddlemeyer and KFAB lying in the lurch.

On the other hand, I enjoy listening to Jim Rose through my headset as I listen to the game in the West stands. He also wrote and interesting book on Husker history that you all should check out. I'm reminded of chicken pot pies mom used to make FROM SCRATCH! People don't take the time to do stuff like that much more.

Listen, I worked in radio for 10 years, now I teach it.  I have a masters degree in Journalism.  I may have a bit of knowledge in the field.

Yes, he does go off on tangents, but if you listen, really listen, you will hear the down and distance, etc.  Pavelka was horrible at it.

You may not like him for other things, but he follows the ball better than most across the country.

He has been offered several jobs in the Professional Baseball ranks, but chose to stay in Lincoln so he would have a chance at the NU job.  If he were soooooo bad, he wouldn't have had these kind of job offers.

No, I'm 100% serious. Take my challenge, try to chart a game - I've tried several times, it can't be done. Rose is much better at baseball than football because there's enough dead time in baseball to fill with his fanciful bs. Now, if you'd like to hear a top notch college radio baseball broadcast listen to a Texas game next year.

I'm not a broadcast journalist and I don't teach broadcast journalism. I've just been listening to sports on the radio since about 1955 and I know when "the picture is being painted" and when it isn't. Tell me the story of the game, don't tell me a story.

I have charted almost every game for the past 8 or 9 years, Rosie by far was the easiest to chart, I wood get confused with swain as to where a player was "spun down" or when Kent started talking about himself. Rose is a class act, just read his book on the history of Husker Football to realize this guy knows what he is talking about.

For all you nellies out there clamoring for Pavelka's return, let me just state once and for all that Pavelka will NOT be coming back to the mike!  I highly doubt the good folks at Pinnacle Broadcasting would be impressed about his low-rated morning show on KKAR or the way he left Saddlemeyer and KFAB lying in the lurch. 

On the other hand, I enjoy listening to Jim Rose through my headset as I listen to the game in the West stands.  He also wrote and interesting book on Husker history that you all should check out.  I'm reminded of chicken pot pies mom used to make FROM SCRATCH!    People don't take the time to do stuff like that much more.

Exactly my thoughts except my mom never made pot pies, I liken listening to Jim Rose as petting my faithful old dog Peaches. It gives me a sence of calm and well-being.

[Exactly my thoughts except my mom never made pot pies, I liken listening to Jim Rose as petting my faithful old dog peaches. It gives me a sence of calm and well-being.

I would rather listen to Tim Brant and Terry Bowden than have to listen to Rose & Fiala. Both of them should take a hint and well just leave.

I've read his book, let's just say Jim probably needs to bone up on his radio skills because writing ain't his bag.

I don't like Jim Rose, but I don't want Kent back either. As annoying as it is when Rose gives a yard by yard description on a 3 yard run, I don't ever want to hear Touchdown, Touchdown, Touchdown again. I agree with those who say it's very difficult to chart games that Rose announces. Time and time again he give his yard by yard description. He's at the 5, the 4, the 3, and he's finally brought down at the 7. I have a very difficult time with his announcing.

I farm and ranch, so I'm in a tractor or combine a lot during Husker games. It's a sad state of affairs when now I listen to music and only tune into the game maybe once every half hour. Until they get someone who can actually call the game, I'll keep listening to my music. I've heard high school announcers do a much better job at calling the game than either Rose or Pavelka.