***European Soccer Thread***

Carles Puyol Returns To Training Ahead Of Schedule

Barcelona captain Carles Puyol has surpised the club's medical staff by returning to training several weeks ahead of schedule. Puyol is coming back after undergoing knee surgery last month.

Puyol underwent surgery in order to correct a tendon problem in his left knee, which forced him to miss three months. He sustained the injury in January during the league game against Racing Santander.

Puyol was able to undertake light running and he posted on his Twitter account that he "felt no pain at all."

Gael Clichy Joins Manchester City On 4 Year Deal

The 25-year-old left-back was the last remaining member of Arsenal’s Premier-winning 2003/2004 squad, and became the youngest ever Premier League winner at the tender age of 18.

Clichy made 264 appearances during his time at the Emirates, including 41 Champions League outings, and becomes the fourth ex-Gunner to make the switch to Manchester City.

Speaking to City's official website, Clichy said: “I’m really happy to be joining such a great club. I hope I can add to the quality we already have here because we have a fantastic squad which I believe will continue to get better. I can’t wait to get started and I think anything is possible with this team.”

Tevez Confirms Desire To Leave Manchester City

Manchester City captain Carlos Tevez has released a statement expressing his desire to leave the club this summer. Despite Roberto Mancini's insistence that Tevez would remain at the club, the Argentine striker has confirmed he plans to leave this summer, citing family reasons.

“It is with great regret that I have to inform Manchester City of my wish to leave the club,” Tevez said.

"I would like to state that I have great respect for the club, its supporters and the owner, Sheikh Mansour, who has been nothing other than respectful to me. I hope that the people understand the difficult circumstances I have been living under the past 12 months, in regards to my family."

"Living without my children in Manchester has been incredibly challenging for me. Everything I do, I do for my daughters, Katie and Florencia. I need to be closer to them and to spend more time with them. I need them to be happy because my life is about them now. I need to be in a place where they can adapt."

Benfica & Madrid Confirm Transfer Of Coentrao

Benfica has confirmed the sale of Fabio Coentrao to Real Madrid for $30 million. The left-back will join Madrid once he completes a medical in the Spanish capital.

A statement released to the Portuguese stock market (CMVM) on Tuesday by Benfica reads: "Sport Lisboa e Benfica, in agreement with the terms of article 248 of the stock market values code, informs that it has reached an agreement in principle with Real Madrid CF for the complete transfer, total sporting and economic rights of the athlete Fabio Coentrao for the value of €30m. The aforementioned agreement will be formalized as soon as the player concludes the medical examinations he will be undertaking with the consent of Sport Lisboa e Benfica, and a working contract between the player and Real Madrid FC agreed."

A statement on Madrid's official website reads: "Real Madrid C. F. and SL Benfica have reached an agreement for the transfer of Portuguese player Fabio Coentrao to the Spanish club for the next six seasons."

OFFICIAL: John O'Shea Leaves Manchester United After 12 Years For Sunderland

The Irishman signed a 4 year deal with an undisclosed fee. Speaking to Sunderland's official website about the move, O'Shea said: "Once I'd heard reports about the club and the people here, the ambitions and what the manager was all about it was the only place I was going to come to."

Sir Alex Ferguson also paid tribute to his outgoing defender, telling ManUtd.com: "John has been an outstanding servant to the club, since he broke into the first team almost a decade ago. His versatility, calmness under pressure and his commitment to the cause at United means that fans will remember him with great affection. John has won so many medals – and has deserved every one of them. He epitomizes our club’s approach as a team."

OFFICIAL: Wes Brown Leaves Manchester United For Sunderland

Sunderland has confirmed the signing of Manchester United defender Wes Brown on a 4 year deal for an undisclosed fee. Sir Alex Ferguson told Manchester United's official website: "Wes has been a great asset to the club during the most successful period in its history. He was a product of the youth system and marked himself out from an early age as one of his generation’s most natural defenders. In his time with us, he certainly became a favorite with the fans for his no-nonsense approach to the game and his infectious personality. Everyone connected with United wishes him a long and happy stay at Sunderland."

OFFICIAL: Liverpool Gives Glen Johnson Contract Extension

Speaking to Liverpool's official website, director of football Damien Comolli ssaid: "We are absolutely delighted. We were in talks for a few weeks, but it was easy to find an agreement because he wanted to stay and we wanted him to stay. His best years are to come. Very often defenders peak between 26 and 31, so he is just entering into those years where a maturity comes in and his knowledge of the game gets better and better. We are happy his long-term future is at Liverpool."

Johnson signed with Liverpool in 2009 after leaving Portsmouth. The club has not revealed how long the extension is for.

Zinedine Zidane To Become Madrid's New Director Of Football

Real Madrid legend Zinedine Zidane has revealed he will become the club's director of football next season. Speaking about his new role, Zidane told Spanish newspaper AS: "I will be director of football for the first team. Mourinho influenced this decision, but also Florentino. We will see [what the new role entails], but I will begin from Monday until the end of the season."

Report: Arsenal Prepared To Accept $35 Million For Cesc Fabregas

The Daily Mail is reporting Barcelona's fresh $31 million offer for Cesc Fabregas has been turned down by Arsenal, but Arsene Wenger is willing to let him leave for $35 million. On Friday, Wenger remained adamant he wanted Fabregas to stay at the club this summer. But with just $4 million separating the two parties, it appears another round of negotiations could finally settle the long-running transfer saga.

Malaga Gives Pellegrini 2 Year Extension

Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini has extended his contract with the club by 2 years, leaving him signed until 2015.

The former Real Madrid boss is fronting a new era at the club under the ownership of Qatari Abdullah bin Nasser Al Thani, with Malaga spending heavily this summer as they look to chase Champions League football next season.

Report: Manchester City Sign Arsenal's Nasri For $25 Million

Sky Sport Italia is reporting Samir Nasri is set to join City for a fee of $25 million, with the midfielder believed to have been offered a contract worth $6 million per year. City has yet to confirm or deny that a deal is in place for Nasri.

Report: Ezequiel Garay Signs 4 Year Deal With Benfica

Real Madrid defender Ezequiel Garay is on the verge of completing a move to Benfica and has signed a contract with the Portuguese club, according to the player's agent, Ricardo Schlieper.

"He will play for Benfica. Everything has been settled. He signed a contract on Wednesday, I was in Madrid and he received the paperwork in Santa Fe, where he was with the national team. It is a four-year contract," Schlieper told Maisfutebol.

"He has always been interested [in moving to Benfica]. They are a great club and play in an attractive league, with a lot of Argentines, which makes it all the more comfortable, and he will play on a regular basis which is what he was missing."

Club Friendlies Taking Place In The U.S.

Manchester United v. New England, July 13, ESPN2, 8 p.m. ET

Los Angeles Galaxy v. Real Madrid, July 16, ESPN2, 10 p.m. ET

Vancouver v. Manchester City, July 18, ESPN2, 10 p.m. ET

Chivas v. Real Madrid, July 20, ESPN2, 11 p.m. ET

Chicago v. Manchester United, July 23, ESPN2, 5 p.m. ET

Juventus v. Sporting, July 23, ESPN3, 7 p.m. ET

OFFICIAL: Arsenal Signs Gervinho From French Club Lille

Arsenal has completed the signing of Lille striker Gervinho.

The Ivory Coast international, who helped the French side to their first league title in 57 years last term, arrives at Arsenal for a fee believed to be $10.6 million, although the length of his contract has not been revealed.

Arsene Wenger revealed the news as his side arrived in Malaysia, without their newly acquired forward, ahead of their pre-season tour of the Far East. "Gervinho has come back from holiday and signed. He had a medical on Thursday and we sent him back home to sort things out for two days. He has a family with children. He came back yesterday and starts his fitness program in London today. He is officially an Arsenal player now. I decided not to take him because he had had no training sessions."