At practice on Saturday

My friend was lucky enough to attend spring practice on Saturday the 10th. Here's his report.

1) Any reports of the offense having the upper hand on the defense are purely false.

2) Cody Green was the second best QB on the field. Based on what I observed, I would play Taylor Martinez in a heartbeat over Green. Lightning quick and a better arm that I expected. Martinez could have scored on several scramble plays. If we put the ball in his hands, he will hurt teams.

3) Green can't throw the ball a lick. I can't recall how many passes were picked off, or were very very close to being picked, or sailed over the heads of everyone. If my girlfriend were as late as he is with the football, I'd start working a second job.

4) Our defensive backs are stellar. We have a bunch of pure studs back there, that can seriously play some ball.

5) Carl Pelini was not joking about us being 2 deep at the defensive spots. They rotated guys often that appeared to be mostly interchangeable.

6) Hagg, Amukamara, Dennard and Gomes are unreal.

7) Alonzo Whaley played very well at linebacker. Many times he was teamed with Martin, who is a pure animal, and Hagg. Pretty formidable combo.

8) Sean Fisher missed twice as many tackles as he made.

9) Burkhead looks like a block, as do Helu and Robinson. Robinson is a load.

10) Kyler Reed is a specimen. 6'2 230 and lean. He and Mike McNeal got down the seam quite often but the QBs had a tough time getting them the ball.

11) D Line is going to be good again. Obvious drop off without Suh, no two ways around it. But will be fine.

12) Young OL players are big dudes. Qvale spent a lot of time at guard and is just a monster size wise. Hardrick is also very large and I'd be shocked for him to not make an immediate impact.

13) Niles Paul is a load. The matchup between him and Prince was fun to watch.

14) The kickers just jacked around all day. Telling knock-knock jokes and yucking it up seems to be their purpose at practice.

15) Marvin Sanders is a very, very good coach. Ekeler is a very, very good cheerleader

• Fire 1

2) Cody Green was the second best QB on the field. Based on what I observed, I would play Taylor Martinez in a heartbeat over Green. Lightning quick and a better arm that I expected. Martinez could have scored on several scramble plays. If we put the ball in his hands, he will hurt teams.

3) Green can't throw the ball a lick. I can't recall how many passes were picked off, or were very very close to being picked, or sailed over the heads of everyone. If my girlfriend were as late as he is with the football, I'd start working a second job.

I have heard somethings as well as on here that Green hasnt improved at all since last year. Also have heard that he seems be very active in getting to know our coeds on campus. This only further verifies it. I cant believe hasnt done more than captialize on Lee being out with injury to try and steal the job.

I wouldn't say that verifies anything. It's one set of eyes making his opinion, which, by the way, I thank CornHunka's friend for doing, but I think we should take that for all it is. Different observers will see different things. I do love hearing these reports of practices though, it's a great way to follow up on the team through spring practices and more interesting than journal articles.

• Fire 2

I wouldn't say that verifies anything. It's one set of eyes making his opinion, which, by the way, I thank CornHunka's friend for doing, but I think we should take that for all it is. Different observers will see different things. I do love hearing these reports of practices though, it's a great way to follow up on the team through spring practices and more interesting than journal articles.

I couldn't agree more.

Couple of observations.

1) Not to knock on your friend OP, but I'll take this for what it's worth. One guy's opinion of the only practice he has seen. I especially disagree with #1. That is an extreme proclamation to make after only seeing one of fifteen practices. That's kind of like watching five minutes of a movie and automatically saying the movie is crap.

2) #14 is kind of one of those "duh" things. Henery is a stud on the football field and has earned the right to pretty much do whatever he wants, as long as he keeps his accuracy. With the exception of Kunalic's kick against Texas, he has also played like a beast on kick-offs.

Other than that, pretty good stuff.

That sucks if the reports on Green are true, he has such an awesome build for a QB. I am excited to see Martinez though if we put him in a game. I've always thought that being the Cali player of the year is extremely impressive. And it seems from what I've read he really wants this job and will work his ass off to get it. If Lee doesn't start because of injury, I'd like to give Martinez a chance and see how he does.

• Fire 1

Ok I say we relax about Green. He's a quarterback for the Cornhuskers, would anyone on here not take advantage of that with the ladies? Also it's spring time so he has five more months to progress before he plays a real game. He's also still probably only 18 years old. Now if he doesn't make any progress by the time fall camp is done then I would be a little disappointed but I'm not even close to throwing in the towel.

• Fire 1

I couldn't agree more.

Couple of observations.

1) Not to knock on your friend OP, but I'll take this for what it's worth. One guy's opinion of the only practice he has seen. I especially disagree with #2. That is an extreme proclamation to make after only seeing one of fifteen practices. That's kind of like watching five minutes of a movie and automatically saying the movie is crap.

2) #14 is kind of one of those "duh" things. Henery is a stud on the football field and has earned the right to pretty much do whatever he wants, as long as he keeps his accuracy. With the exception of Kunalic's kick against Texas, he has also played like a beast on kick-offs.

Regarding point #2 --- this testimony of Green still incapable of passing is by no means an observation in isolation. Every eyewitness report we have on Green is consistent --- he cannot throw sufficiently well to be a D1 QB --- or, at the very least, he has yet to show anyone that he can. Later in this thread we have yet another eyewitness report. It is likely only a matter of time before Green is at another position. Lets hope that Lee is healthy this year, that Martinez gets some meaningful minutes and then the year after (when Lee is gone) Martinez and a redshirt freshman named Carnes and a true freshman named Turner will compete for the QB position. By then I'd guess Cody Green will be a TE.

Not to mention, it was only one practice. Can't expect a QB to have have stellar practices every day. Some days a QB is a bit off, and some days he is on fire. The only difference between a good QB and a bad QB is the consistency they have at being on fire with their passes.

I couldn't agree more.

Couple of observations.

1) Not to knock on your friend OP, but I'll take this for what it's worth. One guy's opinion of the only practice he has seen. I especially disagree with #2. That is an extreme proclamation to make after only seeing one of fifteen practices. That's kind of like watching five minutes of a movie and automatically saying the movie is crap.

Regarding point #2 --- this testimony of Green still incapable of passing is by no means an observation in isolation. Every eyewitness report we have on Green is consistent --- he cannot throw sufficiently well to be a D1 QB --- or, at the very least, he has yet to show anyone that he can. Later in this thread we have yet another eyewitness report. It is likely only a matter of time before Green is at another position. Lets hope that Lee is healthy this year, that Martinez gets some meaningful minutes and then the year after (when Lee is gone) Martinez and a redshirt freshman named Carnes and a true freshman named Turner will compete for the QB position. By then I'd guess Cody Green will be a TE.

I didn't mean #2. I actually meant to type #1. Edited.

I just do not understand why people seem to have a vested interest in whether Quarterback A, B or C starts. What does the name on the jersey matter?

Because they are different people with different skill sets.

An astute observation if we actually knew what those skills were, but at this point the only person we know anything about with any certainty is Zac Lee, and even with him we have to temper our analysis to whatever extent we attribute his reported injury to his performance. We know next to nothing about Cody Green and even less about Kody Spano, LaTravis Washington, Taylor Martinez, et al, which makes advocacy for any of them irrelevant.

I just do not understand why people seem to have a vested interest in whether Quarterback A, B or C starts. What does the name on the jersey matter?

Because they are different people with different skill sets.

An astute observation if we actually knew what those skills were, but at this point the only person we know anything about with any certainty is Zac Lee, and even with him we have to temper our analysis to whatever extent we attribute his reported injury to his performance. We know next to nothing about Cody Green and even less about Kody Spano, LaTravis Washington, Taylor Martinez, et al, which makes advocacy for any of them irrelevant.

I just think it boils down to some people wanting certain people to be starters. Some people want Zac Lee because he is the incumbent and because he had an injury, so we don't know exactly how good he could be. Some people want Cody Green because he has the physical tools to be the starter and because he was highly touted. Some people want Martinez because of how he has been talked about in practice, etc. etc. It's just a "want" factor for some, I think.