At practice on Saturday

I will continue, I suppose, to be a downer here, but... Cody Green has not shown much as a runner either. He runs straight up and down, does not follow his blockers, tends to fall into contact rather than explode into contact, and has shown little to no ability to cut, slice or in any way find a hole that is not there. He did have one nice run --- where he had a gaping hole and was able to do a sprint --- and he is fast and straight-line quick. That said, he has not shown the ability (yet?) to run in traffic, create, make people miss or break tackles. At this juncture, while we cannot yet throw in the towel on the kid.... he has not shown proficiency as a passer, as a runner, or in terms of decision making in any context. Every eyewitness report, as far as I can tell, without exception, has indicated the same thing... he is really struggling and no signs of excellence have been seen.

Stranger things have happened, I suppose, but unless there is a huge, huge epiphany of some sort and CG blossoms into 3 times the player he is currently, then along with an earlier poster.... I'd doubt that CG will play any significant role as a QB in the immediate (or even extended) future.

I agree. I'm not sure where people are getting this notion that Green is some sort of dynamic runner. He's a straight-ahead type of runner, just like Zac Lee is. I haven't seen anything from Green to tell me that he is elusive or anywhere near the runner Frazier or Crouch were; at least not yet. However, I would like to point out that the style (i.e., straight-ahead vs. elusive) a person runs usually doesn't change from season to season.

Also, a poster mentioned a bunch of schools that were actively recruiting Green. Was Green being recruited to all those schools to play QB, specifically A&M and TT? I know some teams were recruiting him as an athlete, not a QB.

In response to the OP, I listened to the "Husker Radio Show" or "Husker Beat" on 1620 the Zone last night, which features Mike'l Severe and Steve Sipple. Pretty much everything that was said in the OP is exactly opposite of what they reported last night, FYI.

I guess I'll wait until the WKU game before I know who's playing, and who's good, etc.

Finally someone brings this up..

I noticed the exact same thing. I'm not saying that everything the OP's friend noticed is wrong, but the two people who have been to Husker practices on this board have been saying this exact opposite of things we have heard in the news and things I have heard from a few others that have been to practice.

Again, I don't see what the big deal is. CG showed really good things last year (did any of you not see his throw to Niles Paul against Baylor?), Lee showed good things at points, and then everybody else is rather unproven. There is no point advocating one person over the other right now.

And honestly, we really won't know much after the spring game anyways. Sure, we will see if CG has made improvement and if Martinez really is the speedy, accurate thrower we all think he is, but that's it. The offenses will be very vanilla, the defenses will be very vanilla, and there really won't be a lot that's going to showcase how much improvement the team made. We really won't know until our game vs. Washington next year, when we face our first real opponent. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble...

someone may have brought this up earlier, but it will be funny when the coaches do decide on a starting qb (my money is on lee, not that i care, but i don't think this 'horserace' is really that undecided) and the supporters of the guys who are not the qb freak out. we can only trust the coaches at this point in time, and when they decide the 'right' guy, we should not complain or second guess, because we really do not have anything to judge anyone.

someone may have brought this up earlier, but it will be funny when the coaches do decide on a starting qb (my money is on lee, not that i care, but i don't think this 'horserace' is really that undecided) and the supporters of the guys who are not the qb freak out. we can only trust the coaches at this point in time, and when they decide the 'right' guy, we should not complain or second guess, because we really do not have anything to judge anyone.

I have been saying this since last year, Lee is gonna start. No matter what Green, Martinez, etc do saturday.

The coaching staff will go with the expierence factor. Unless Lees arm causes him problems. I see no way that Lee does not start the first game.

(actually I like to see Martinez, but it just is not going to happen)

I have been saying this since last year, Lee is gonna start. No matter what Green, Martinez, etc do saturday.

The coaching staff will go with the expierence factor. Unless Lees arm causes him problems. I see no way that Lee does not start the first game.

I'm still trying to decide if the Bowl game was Zac Lee showing that he finally felt comfortable in our offense. So many times last year he waited far to long to make his decision or to just get rid of the ball. I really don't know what to think. He looked great in the Holiday bowl and he will be coming back healthy and going into his second season as a starter. One would think he would be improved. I'm cautiously optimistic. I just wonder what kind of Zac Lee were going to get in 2010. A healthy and improved quarterback going into his second year as a starter or a quarterback who's exposed for just what he is. Guess we'll soon find out.

I'm still trying to decide if the Bowl game was Zac Lee showing that he finally felt comfortable in our offense. So many times last year he waited far to long to make his decision or to just get rid of the ball. I really don't know what to think. He looked great in the Holiday bowl and he will be coming back healthy and going into his second season as a starter. One would think he would be improved. I'm cautiously optimistic. I just wonder what kind of Zac Lee were going to get in 2010. A healthy and improved quarterback going into his second year as a starter or a quarterback who's exposed for just what he is. Guess we'll soon find out.

Your bolded point and watching ZLee "lock" onto 1 receiver and never look away are my only criticisms of him. If he can work through his progressions better, he will be a MUCH better QB this year.

i think you must have had some kind of green tint over your tv screen. i saw a team that wasnt moving with either zac lee OR cody green. a few good plays from a qb that the other team didnt practice to defend does not mean a whole hell of a lot...

Wait a minute?! Didn't you vehemently disagree with me when I said the exact same thing about Nebraska's effectiveness in moving the ball on Arizona. You denied it . . . and said we got Arizona's best shot.

Your bolded point and watching ZLee "lock" onto 1 receiver and never look away are my only criticisms of him. If he can work through his progressions better, he will be a MUCH better QB this year.

Oh yeah. He was guilty of that too. (locking onto 1 receiver). There were just too many times when Lee would have his receiver wide open and he would NOT throw the ball to them until it was too late. For his sake and ours I'm really hoping we don't see the same thing this year.

Cody Green's choices/offers per rivals

1. Nebraska

2. Baylor

3. Boston College

4. Houston

5. Mississippi St

6. Oklahoma St

7. Stanford (before they were decent)

8. Texas A&M

9. Texas Tech (does make sense cuz he can't pass)

I dunno, maybe i'm just being pesamistic right now but Green will be lucky to see the field at Nebraska again, maybe i'm wrong...who knows its just an opinion based off of comments i've gathered from multiple different people.

Do any of you recruitniks know who was after Scott Frost, Joe Ganz, Tommie Frazier, and/or Eric Crouch?

with all due respect, those QB's were also recruited for a COMPLETELY different style of offense, with the exception of Joe Ganz. As much as Joe Ganz helped Nebraska ease its way back a little bit before the defense really got good. I wouldn't put anywhere near the group or quality of QB as those guys. I loved Ganz I'm glad we had him, but c'mon guys...seriously, think a little.

Ok..I have a couple of comments and or questions about the list of schools he was offered.

First, have you heard of Jerrod Johnson? The dual threat QB from Texas A&M? Apparently they felt Cody Green could fill the same role in that offense some day. So, for starters, that doesn't make sense.

Second, when you say "doesn't (I assume thats what you meant) make sense cause he can't pass", what does that even mean? Obviously Texas Tech saw something in him because he was recruited by Mike Leach. Mike Leach may be crazy, but he knows more about quarterbacks than you or I do. I'd say he saw something there. And in relation to this, what are you basing your opinion of Cody Green off of? 62 passes from an 17-18 year old in one of the toughest college football conferences? 62 passes from a kid who played behind an obliterated o-line with few receiving threats and an at-times anemic running game? That means you must also be factoring in what you've heard from people at practices, people who only went to one of fifteen practices and are giving their opinions/thoughts.

I'm not trying to be rude, but let's think this one out a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is your argument: CG stinks because he wasn't offered by some of the better schools, his passing sucks even though he threw the ball only 62 times all year, and I know he sucks because a couple of anonymous people went to ONE practice and told me he sucked.

I'm not advocating for Cody Green, nor am I saying I disagree with you in the sense that his passing was less than formidable last year, but you are writing a kid off for reasons that are not substantiated.

Lastly, do you have any proof to back up your claim that rivals accepts money from kids to boost their star ratings? If you do, I'd like to see it. Otherwise, that's a heavy rumor.

Best post I've seen from you. You put that better than I could, for sure.

i think you must have had some kind of green tint over your tv screen. i saw a team that wasnt moving with either zac lee OR cody green. a few good plays from a qb that the other team didnt practice to defend does not mean a whole hell of a lot...

Wait a minute?! Didn't you vehemently disagree with me when I said the exact same thing about Nebraska's effectiveness in moving the ball on Arizona. You denied it . . . and said we got Arizona's best shot.

the difference being that arizona practiced for zlee and did not practice for cody green. whether you saw it or not, lee had a very good grasp of the offense and i would hope that stoops would have seen the same things that i did. if he didnt, then maybe i should have been payed his salary and he paid mine.....

the difference being that arizona practiced for zlee and did not practice for cody green. whether you saw it or not, lee had a very good grasp of the offense and i would hope that stoops would have seen the same things that i did. if he didnt, then maybe i should have been payed his salary and he paid mine.....

So . . . Arizona's defense practicing for a month to defend an offense that NU did NOT run doesn't matter.

However, a defense practicing for a week to defend a different quarterback running the same offense DOES matter.

Hmmm. Double standards are awesome, eh?

1. Nebraska

2. Baylor

3. Boston College

4. Houston

5. Mississippi St

6. Oklahoma St

8. Texas A&M

I dunno, maybe i'm just being pesamistic right now but Green will be lucky to see the field at Nebraska again, maybe i'm wrong...who knows its just an opinion based off of comments i've gathered from multiple different people.

Do any of you recruitniks know who was after Scott Frost, Joe Ganz, Tommie Frazier, and/or Eric Crouch?

with all due respect, those QB's were also recruited for a COMPLETELY different style of offense, with the exception of Joe Ganz. As much as Joe Ganz helped Nebraska ease its way back a little bit before the defense really got good. I wouldn't put anywhere near the group or quality of QB as those guys. I loved Ganz I'm glad we had him, but c'mon guys...seriously, think a little.

Ok..I have a couple of comments and or questions about the list of schools he was offered.

First, have you heard of Jerrod Johnson? The dual threat QB from Texas A&M? Apparently they felt Cody Green could fill the same role in that offense some day. So, for starters, that doesn't make sense.

Second, when you say "doesn't (I assume thats what you meant) make sense cause he can't pass", what does that even mean? Obviously Texas Tech saw something in him because he was recruited by Mike Leach. Mike Leach may be crazy, but he knows more about quarterbacks than you or I do. I'd say he saw something there. And in relation to this, what are you basing your opinion of Cody Green off of? 62 passes from an 17-18 year old in one of the toughest college football conferences? 62 passes from a kid who played behind an obliterated o-line with few receiving threats and an at-times anemic running game? That means you must also be factoring in what you've heard from people at practices, people who only went to one of fifteen practices and are giving their opinions/thoughts.

I'm not trying to be rude, but let's think this one out a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is your argument: CG stinks because he wasn't offered by some of the better schools, his passing sucks even though he threw the ball only 62 times all year, and I know he sucks because a couple of anonymous people went to ONE practice and told me he sucked.

I'm not advocating for Cody Green, nor am I saying I disagree with you in the sense that his passing was less than formidable last year, but you are writing a kid off for reasons that are not substantiated.

Lastly, do you have any proof to back up your claim that rivals accepts money from kids to boost their star ratings? If you do, I'd like to see it. Otherwise, that's a heavy rumor.

I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment or take it as I should work on what I post :ahhhhhhhh

But thanks. :thumbs

1. Nebraska

2. Baylor

3. Boston College

4. Houston

5. Mississippi St

6. Oklahoma St

8. Texas A&M

I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment or take it as I should work on what I post :ahhhhhhhh

But thanks. :thumbs

Hah, I actually thought about editing it after I posted it because I thought you might take it as an knock against the rest of your posts, but I don't like to do that. It has nothing to do with the quality of the rest of your posts. ;)

So . . . Arizona's defense practicing for a month to defend an offense that NU did NOT run doesn't matter.

However, a defense practicing for a week to defend a different quarterback running the same offense DOES matter.

ok, a qb vs an offense is two different things. yes we threw in a new play (wildcat) in the holiday bowl, but we did not put in a new offense! running a play out of the split t (wildcat) is not a new offense. we had the very same qb and the very same offense, it was just executed better, due to health, than it had been all season.

above, we are talking about a team not practicing for a different qb. ie. they practiced for lee but not green, practicing for a qb is different than practicing for what you deem as a "different offense" even though we ran the very same offense.

you are either A. confusing my words. or B. not understanding that the wildcat is not an offense, it is a formation within an offense. you pick.

ok, a qb vs an offense is two different things. yes we threw in a new play (wildcat) in the holiday bowl, but we did not put in a new offense! running a play out of the split t (wildcat) is not a new offense. we had the very same qb and the very same offense, it was just executed better, due to health, than it had been all season.

above, we are talking about a team not practicing for a different qb. ie. they practiced for lee but not green, practicing for a qb is different than practicing for what you deem as a "different offense" even though we ran the very same offense.

you are either A. confusing my words. or B. not understanding that the wildcat is not an offense, it is a formation within an offense. you pick.

I'm not just talking about the wildcat. I'm talking about everything the offense did. From the OU game until the Big 12 championship game the whole offense was run between the tackles, run between the tackles, quick slant, punt. That's the playcalling that UA prepared to defend. Their coach said it himself: "Well they (the NU offense) aren't fancy. They just run it at you." However, NU DID get fancy. Reverses to Niles Paul. Options with Burkhead. The wildcat. 3-4 wide receivers instead of 3-4 tight ends. A totally different offense than we'd shown for the previous half season.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Do you honestly believe that that preparing for a month to defend an entirely different offense is easier for a defense to adjust to than one week preparing for a different QB running the same offense?