At practice on Saturday

I just do not understand why people seem to have a vested interest in whether Quarterback A, B or C starts. What does the name on the jersey matter?

Because they are different people with different skill sets.

An astute observation if we actually knew what those skills were, but at this point the only person we know anything about with any certainty is Zac Lee, and even with him we have to temper our analysis to whatever extent we attribute his reported injury to his performance. We know next to nothing about Cody Green and even less about Kody Spano, LaTravis Washington, Taylor Martinez, et al, which makes advocacy for any of them irrelevant.

you get a good idea about players based on thheir recruiting videos...

I just do not understand why people seem to have a vested interest in whether Quarterback A, B or C starts. What does the name on the jersey matter?

An astute observation if we actually knew what those skills were, but at this point the only person we know anything about with any certainty is Zac Lee, and even with him we have to temper our analysis to whatever extent we attribute his reported injury to his performance. We know next to nothing about Cody Green and even less about Kody Spano, LaTravis Washington, Taylor Martinez, et al, which makes advocacy for any of them irrelevant.

Isn't it the offseason? Can't we speculate/discuss/obsess even with the most anticipated position battle?

You're 100% right that we don't know a thing about these guys but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about them. Watson and company have said how fast Taylor is, we at least got to Green play last year (so we can wonder if he has improved), and Spano, Washington are wild cards.

I completely understand your initial post, the name doesn't matter much. But speculating what name will be the "general of the offense" and their respective skills sets is basically priority number 1 every offseason.

• Fire 1

Isn't it the offseason? Can't we speculate/discuss/obsess even with the most anticipated position battle?

You're 100% right that we don't know a thing about these guys but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about them. Watson and company have said how fast Taylor is, we at least got to Green play last year (so we can wonder if he has improved), and Spano, Washington are wild cards.

I completely understand your initial post, the name doesn't matter much. But speculating what name will be the "general of the offense" and their respective skills sets is basically priority number 1 every offseason.

Who said we couldn't speculate? I find the advocacy of one guy over another, and the subsequent throwing of "the other guy" under the bus, a little weird. They're all Huskers, so some of these Green vs. Lee discussions seem like we're discussing a QB for another team.

Who said we couldn't speculate? I find the advocacy of one guy over another, and the subsequent throwing of "the other guy" under the bus, a little weird. They're all Huskers, so some of these Green vs. Lee discussions seem like we're discussing a QB for another team.

I guess I miss-read your first post as who cares, dont talk about it......rather than - why are people in one corner over another corner at such an early point in the spring?

Carry on :)

My friend was lucky enough to attend spring practice on Saturday the 10th. Here's his report.

1) Any reports of the offense having the upper hand on the defense are purely false.

2) Cody Green was the second best QB on the field. Based on what I observed, I would play Taylor Martinez in a heartbeat over Green. Lightning quick and a better arm that I expected. Martinez could have scored on several scramble plays. If we put the ball in his hands, he will hurt teams.

3) Green can't throw the ball a lick. I can't recall how many passes were picked off, or were very very close to being picked, or sailed over the heads of everyone. If my girlfriend were as late as he is with the football, I'd start working a second job.

1. One day does not define an entire spring. Those reports of the offense having the upper hand...I have not seen any. I've only seen that the offense can score this spring against our defense. Nothing more.

2. Obviously Martinez is probably too athletic for his own good haha. He'll get his minutes, will he start? No, Zac Lee will again be the starter. Book it

3. Not surprising, Green may have been a 4 star (for you star gazers) However if you really want to know how good a recruit is. Look at his list of choices and offers. That tells the story a whole lot more than those shiny gold things by their names. One more interesting fact, Rivals offers kids to pay for extra stars, I heard that from a kid from Lincoln SE earlier this fall when their running back Zac Taylor was being recruited.

Cody Green's choices/offers per rivals

1. Nebraska

2. Baylor

3. Boston College

4. Houston

5. Mississippi St

6. Oklahoma St

7. Stanford (before they were decent)

8. Texas A&M

9. Texas Tech (does make sense cuz he can't pass)

I dunno, maybe i'm just being pesamistic right now but Green will be lucky to see the field at Nebraska again, maybe i'm wrong...who knows its just an opinion based off of comments i've gathered from multiple different people.

I guess I miss-read your first post as who cares, dont talk about it......rather than - why are people in one corner over another corner at such an early point in the spring?

Carry on :)

Ah. Yeah, I can see how you could read it that way. I meant the second option, of course.

And not in reply to 'Sker but to the general topic of the thread - I guess if Cody "can't pass" I'm not that concerned. I don't think we recruited him to be a passer, but rather a runner who can pass when necessary. He's thrown some bad passes, and he's thrown some decent passes. Neither Tommie Frazier nor Jammal Lord could pass worth half a crap, and both turned out all right. Same for Crouch and Frosty, too.

1. Nebraska

2. Baylor

3. Boston College

4. Houston

5. Mississippi St

6. Oklahoma St

8. Texas A&M

I dunno, maybe i'm just being pesamistic right now but Green will be lucky to see the field at Nebraska again, maybe i'm wrong...who knows its just an opinion based off of comments i've gathered from multiple different people.

Do any of you recruitniks know who was after Scott Frost, Joe Ganz, Tommie Frazier, and/or Eric Crouch?

Didn't you say that Jermarcus Hardrick was the best lineman we have but yet we haven't seen much of him besides footage of him playing Juco ball so isn't that kindof throwing all of the other lineman that started last year under the bus.

Its good to speculate but everything we hear or read we have to take with a grain of salt because all of the spring ball talk doesn't mean nothing. The real talk will start this fall when it does matter. After the spring game nothing will be set in stone because nobody will be named a starter until a few weeks or a week or even days before the opening kickoff.

This is the off season and we have nothing better to do but talk about the position battles and new names being throw in the mix. Its great to hear our players improve and which player(s) have surprised the coaches but there is still a long way till opening kickoff. Just don't bit into all of this talk behind some players because you just might get disappointed come fall when these stories don't come true.

Didn't you say that Jermarcus Hardrick was the best lineman we have but yet we haven't seen much of him besides footage of him playing Juco ball so isn't that kindof throwing all of the other lineman that started last year under the bus.

I did not say that Hardrick was the best lineman we have. I think I said he would be starting, but that was quoting Zac Lee when I talked to him at the bagel shop the other day. Big difference there. ;)

1. Nebraska

2. Baylor

3. Boston College

4. Houston

5. Mississippi St

6. Oklahoma St

8. Texas A&M

Do any of you recruitniks know who was after Scott Frost, Joe Ganz, Tommie Frazier, and/or Eric Crouch?

with all due respect, those QB's were also recruited for a COMPLETELY different style of offense, with the exception of Joe Ganz. As much as Joe Ganz helped Nebraska ease its way back a little bit before the defense really got good. I wouldn't put anywhere near the group or quality of QB as those guys. I loved Ganz I'm glad we had him, but c'mon guys...seriously, think a little.

I did not say that Hardrick was the best lineman we have. I think I said he would be starting, but that was quoting Zac Lee when I talked to him at the bagel shop the other day. Big difference there. ;)

Not trying to start something here but you said it yourself and Zac Lee would never say that Hardrick is the best lineman we have because that would be throwing the lineman under the bus.

Anyone not penciling Yoshi into the starting lineup come Fall camp had better reconsider. I think he's the best lineman we've got.

I asked Zac if the line was going to keep him better protected this year and he was all compliments for those guys, but I think Yoshi was the only name he mentioned. That may have been after I asked him about the hand, though. It's been a long day since breakfast.

Second time running into ZLee in random places, and both times he's been very friendly. He doesn't know me from Adam, yet he takes a minute to say hi, answer some questions, shoot the breeze. I don't care if he never takes another snap at Nebraska - he's a good guy, and I'm damned glad to have a guy like that on our team.

Link

Not trying to start something here but you said it yourself and Zac Lee would never say that Hardrick is the best lineman we have because that would be throwing the lineman under the bus.

It's funny, because I don't recall you standing there when I was talking to Lee. Were you? What I wrote there was in direct relation to what Lee was saying.

Nice try, though. :thumbs

It's funny, because I don't recall you standing there when I was talking to Lee. Were you? What I wrote there was in direct relation to what Lee was saying.

Really....maybe next time put quotations around this quote like so

"Anyone not penciling Yoshi into the starting lineup come Fall camp had better reconsider. I think he's the best lineman we've got" said Lee

But in the mean time I'm going to assume that you were the one that said that....not Lee but it really doesn't matter anymore now does it

"Anyone not penciling Yoshi into the starting lineup come Fall camp had better reconsider. I think he's the best lineman we've got" said Lee

But in the mean time I'm going to assume that you were the one that said that....not Lee but it really doesn't matter anymore now does it

It wasn't a quote, it was a paraphrase. You quote exact words. You paraphrase intent. And you can assume all you want, won't change a thing.

It wasn't a quote, it was a paraphrase. You quote exact words. You paraphrase intent. And you can assume all you want, won't change a thing.

Heated conversation. I like it.

:snacks: