Nebraska denies ESPN3/360 Spring Game Coverage?

zoogs

If they don’t want to make a spectacle of the whole “practice” then don’t charge $10 a head and don’t have reserved seating and don’t push it as a game day like experience. Maybe they should have it on Friday in the middle of the afternoon like any other Spring Scrimmage and not Saturday afternoon in front of 70,000+.

If they won’t let ESPN in at least allow a tape delay or something on NET. Or how about since they want to charge for the thing when they reach say 65,000 tickets sold then they have it on TV someplace. Kind of like the “black-out” rules in Professional sports.

After watching Bo's comments on Huskers.com, he seemed to point that the Spring game will be much like it was last year. We won't see many schemes or fancy plays, just fundamental football. Truthfully that is what Spring Game usually is, basic football. No Option Pass, or Reverses, or Wildcats, or that fancy stuff we see during the season. I think it is still going to be entertaining to those who just want to watch a scrimmage of the Huskers play to help pass the time before Fall camp starts in August.

If they don’t want to make a spectacle of the whole “practice” then don’t charge $10 a head and don’t have reserved seating and don’t push it as a game day like experience. Maybe they should have it on Friday in the middle of the afternoon like any other Spring Scrimmage and not Saturday afternoon in front of 70,000+.

If they won’t let ESPN in at least allow a tape delay or something on NET. Or how about since they want to charge for the thing when they reach say 65,000 tickets sold then they have it on TV someplace. Kind of like the “black-out” rules in Professional sports.

newearthhusker, do i sense anger or frustration, or both, in your post?

I don't see what harm would have come from 360 airing the spring game. Maybe a bit more of a distraction. But the place is already going to be a circus--a little bit like a real game.

i don't see what the issue would be either, but maybe there were stipulations ESPN would have included (game time, paying something to espn, etc.) with which NU did not agree.

There might be a little bit of both.

Maybe I’m “Old School” when it comes to this type of thing but I think the charging $10 a ticket and making all the seats reserved is a little much. I’m pretty sure we are in the minority when it comes to charging for this “practice”. I also think it is lame that they won’t allow it to be on TV or the Web. What would that possibly hurt? Like I said if they want to charge go ahead, people will pay, but at least throw the “practice” up on NET for the folks who aren’t able to make it down there and would still like to see some of the action.

I would also like to know this, if it is just another “practice” and not that big of deal then why do they make it a HUGE recruiting weekend? If it was just another “practice” then there wouldn’t be a list of visitors lined up to come to town. :dunno

FWIW: I am going on Saturday but that is only because I received a FREE ticket. <_<

I don't see what harm would have come from 360 airing the spring game. Maybe a bit more of a distraction. But the place is already going to be a circus--a little bit like a real game.

i don't see what the issue would be either, but maybe there were stipulations ESPN would have included (game time, paying something to espn, etc.) with which NU did not agree.

Yeah, that’s quite possible. I have to admit, though, that I may be a bit biased in thinking NU should have aired the spring game: I just want to see it. :)

Maybe I’m “Old School” when it comes to this type of thing but I think the charging $10 a ticket and making all the seats reserved is a little much. I’m pretty sure we are in the minority when it comes to charging for this “practice”. I also think it is lame that they won’t allow it to be on TV or the Web. What would that possibly hurt? Like I said if they want to charge go ahead, people will pay, but at least throw the “practice” up on NET for the folks who aren’t able to make it down there and would still like to see some of the action.

I would also like to know this, if it is just another “practice” and not that big of deal then why do they make it a HUGE recruiting weekend? If it was just another “practice” then there wouldn’t be a list of visitors lined up to come to town. :dunno

FWIW: I am going on Saturday but that is only because I received a FREE ticket. <_<

i mentioned before that the spring game is about the fans in the stands. having recruits come to the game is the best way to show that nebraska has the best fans in america. if they go to the UT game, well of course there will be a lot of fans there, that doesn't prove anything. But if you go the a spring game that is near sold out, that leaves an indelible impression on a recruit. but a bunch of basement dwellers (not an insult, i have an unfinished basement and am jealous of those who can dwell in their basement) watching on their computers does not mean anything to recruits at the game. again, i'm really just playing devil's advocate, i wish they were airing it too, and don't really know why they wouldn't. i wish they would be more candid about it. but because they aren't, maybe that is tells us something.

I don't think it has anything to do with being "Old School," because I'm pretty sure there are plenty of reasonable "Old school" people who can understand a simple concept like televising a spring practice may be detrimental to ticket sales.

:facepalm:

Emoticons are cool.

I don't think it has anything to do with being "Old School," because I'm pretty sure there are plenty of reasonable "Old school" people who can understand a simple concept like televising a spring practice may be detrimental to ticket sales.

That’s why I said in my earlier post that they should take the “Black-out” approach like Pro Sports cities do and when they reach the certain number of tickets sold they then broadcast it on TV for the rest of the people to see.

Emoticons are cool.

:moreinteresting

Yes they are :thumbs:madash:ph34r:

That’s why I said in my earlier post that they should take the “Black-out” approach like Pro Sports cities do and when they reach the certain number of tickets sold they then broadcast it on TV for the rest of the people to see.

Emoticons are cool.

:moreinteresting

Yes they are :thumbs:madash:ph34r:

Bo and Tom both know how to win football games. If they thought the benefits of televising the game outweighed the costs, I'm sure they would have done it.

Bo and Tom both know how to win football games. If they thought the benefits of televising the game outweighed the costs, I'm sure they would have done it.

Do people really have this simplistic of a world view, if so I truly envy them.

I find it odd that fans and coaches are now saying that the spring game will just be a boring scrimmage, when this practice is arguably the biggest recruiting tool in NU's arsenal. Either this is an exciting chance to impress some of the nations top FB talent, or it's a lame spring scrimmage that doesn't amount to diddly. Make up your minds people, you can't have it both ways!