Rule Change

So the NCAA just passed a rule that wont allow taunting. If your player taunts you in 2011 it will be a 15 yard from the spot of the foul which would cost you a TD. Also no longer are they going to allow eye blocks with messages on them ie... Reggie Bushs 619. Personally I dont like either of them out of sheer emotion you high step to the endzone that would cost you a TD how big can that change a game. Say a player catches a miracle pass or breaks a long run for a TD againist your rival late in the 4th. That could cost you a game.

I don't like the taunting rule at all but I don't mind the eye black rule. I just wish it would have been instated a few years ago so we wouldn't have had to deal with Tebow's bible verse eye black.

i agree with every thing you said, completely. but i would like to also elaborate on your disagreement with the taunting rule. hasn't the ncaa learned that they were already too strict with that already? what do they do, make it worse, potentially affecting the outcome of the game (because the best taunting happens in close games). this are athletes, if someone scores, their feelings are hurt enough, their self-esteem doesn't suffer anymore if some spikes a ball or celebrates, after all "to the victor goes the spoils." i hate the hurricanes, but they were right, "if you don't want us dancing, keep us out of the endzone."

I almost think they had to instate the taunting rule, especially after the debauchery of officiating we witnessed last year (mainly referencing the LSU-Georgia game where Georgia was flagged for excessive celebration when they scored the go-ahead TD but LSU was not when they did almost the exact same thing, thus costing Georgia a huge win). The NCAA had to make it black and white for the officials to remove any subjectivity and avoid such fiascos this coming season.

So the NCAA just passed a rule that wont allow taunting. If your player taunts you in 2011 it will be a 15 yard from the spot of the foul which would cost you a TD. Also no longer are they going to allow eye blocks with messages on them ie... Reggie Bushs 619. Personally I dont like either of them out of sheer emotion you high step to the endzone that would cost you a TD how big can that change a game. Say a player catches a miracle pass or breaks a long run for a TD againist your rival late in the 4th. That could cost you a game.

Just to clarify, are they considering taunting the same as excessive celebration? (One could make an argument that they are one in the same.)

I almost think they had to instate the taunting rule, especially after the debauchery of officiating we witnessed last year (mainly referencing the LSU-Georgia game where Georgia was flagged for excessive celebration when they scored the go-ahead TD but LSU was not when they did almost the exact same thing, thus costing Georgia a huge win). The NCAA had to make it black and white for the officials to remove any subjectivity and avoid such fiascos this coming season.

i think you are right in their motivation, but i would have made it black and white the other way; less stringent, rather than more stringent.

This is ridiculous. A lot of fair TDs will be called back, affecting outcomes of games, based on something as ticky-tacky as celebration. Not only that, those will be some of the most spectacular plays anyway. You have to have broken a play pretty wide open to be able to celebrate on the way.

I was at that game...it sucked. I think this rule is the worst thing to come from the Rules Committee folks in awhile, but I feel like the people saying that it is unfair because it is at the discrtion of the refs need to realize that EVERY penalty is at their discretion. Holding could be called on just about every play, yet we often see it called on runs that result in TDs. The eye black thing is okay though, the Bible verses and zip codes were tacky.

This is ridiculous. A lot of fair TDs will be called back, affecting outcomes of games, based on something as ticky-tacky as celebration. Not only that, those will be some of the most spectacular plays anyway. You have to have broken a play pretty wide open to be able to celebrate on the way.

exactly.

A VERY bad idea....

zebras have too many subjective decisions already.

i.e. HOLDING!!

Isn't there also a change in not allowing wedge blocking anymore?

I think the rule now is that you can only have a 3 man wedge.

Also, I'm not sure I like the severity of the punishment for taunting. I'm guessing since it's a penalty it won't be able to be reviewed in any way. So what if the penalty occurs dangerously close to the endzone with the TD being a game decider? Sure it's extremely unlikely, but what would happen if it that can't be reviewed?

This maybe a stupid question,What about if the penalty occurs after the TD,a fumble, or INT. Is it still a dead ball foul. Because alot of celebration goes on when those things occur. If it negates anyone of those things, then this most ridiculous rule ever.

Does anyone know if coaches, or AD's give any input to these rules changes. I thought I read something were coaches gave their input on the 40 play clock rules and thats why it was altered after one year.