Future Nebraska Coaches

Someone recently posted about the connection between Bo and OSU and how that job is probably his dream job. I'm not trying to stir the pot or cause drama, but I have to agree that one day he might leave Nebraska for his alma mater. So I was thinking, what coaches are out there (or coordinators) whose alma mater is NU that could potentially be a head coach down the road? Turner Gill is an obvious choice, but we'll see how he does at Kansas before we consider him a possibility. I realize that even if Bo Pelini left Lincoln it would probably be at least 5 or so years if not more, but it's a long offseason and it's something to think about. So, any names you can think of? I'll start off by saying Scott Frost.

Someone recently posted about the connection between Bo and OSU and how that job is probably his dream job. I'm not trying to stir the pot or cause drama, but I have to agree that one day he might leave Nebraska for his alma mater. So I was thinking, what coaches are out there (or coordinators) whose alma mater is NU that could potentially be a head coach down the road? Turner Gill is an obvious choice, but we'll see how he does at Kansas before we consider him a possibility. I realize that even if Bo Pelini left Lincoln it would probably be at least 5 or so years if not more, but it's a long offseason and it's something to think about. So, any names you can think of? I'll start off by saying Scott Frost.

Monte Kiffen

Other than Scott Frost or Turner Gill I cant think of anybody that is head coach or coordinator that might be willing to come to Nebraska in 5 years if Bo ever does leave.

Monte Kiffen

I cant imagine a 75 year old Kiffin wanting to come to Nebraska to coach. If he wanted to come back it would've been awhile ago during Tom or Franks tenure.

Scott Frost is only a QB coach, and he's only been at it for a year in Oregon. He's got a lot to prove before he could be considered for any HC job, let alone NU. There's not really anyone out there worthy of an HC job with NU ties that comes to mind, we'd have to step outside the ropes I think. The old candidates would likely be there again, like Jim Grobe from Wake Forrest, and Bud Foster of Va Tech. Personally I'd like to see Jim Mcelwain from Bama get some consideration. Gary Patterson's name would be thrown in there too probably

I thought of Kiffin too but yeah I believe he's too old, and like it was said, Frost is unproven (though we'll see what another 5 years or so brings). We could also hire someone who has done a tremendous job as a coordinator at a big program, such as Kirby Smart, assuming he hasn't been hired elsewhere. I hope someone turns out who has Nebraska ties and who is a good defensive mind.

I thought of Kiffin too but yeah I believe he's too old, and like it was said, Frost is unproven (though we'll see what another 5 years or so brings). We could also hire someone who has done a tremendous job as a coordinator at a big program, such as Kirby Smart, assuming he hasn't been hired elsewhere. I hope someone turns out who has Nebraska ties and who is a good defensive mind.

It's been rumored that Kirby Smart has turned away offers so far because he's the secret coach-in-waiting at Bama, because coaches-in-waiting have recruiting restrictions.

Joe Ganz is an interesting name. I think he will be an excellent coach one day, maybe if we did need a coach somewhere in that 10 range he could have established himself as one of the great young coordinators in CFB. He would a PERFECT fit.

Scott Frost is only a QB coach, and he's only been at it for a year in Oregon. He's got a lot to prove before he could be considered for any HC job, let alone NU. There's not really anyone out there worthy of an HC job with NU ties that comes to mind, we'd have to step outside the ropes I think. The old candidates would likely be there again, like Jim Grobe from Wake Forrest, and Bud Foster of Va Tech. Personally I'd like to see Jim Mcelwain from Bama get some consideration. Gary Patterson's name would be thrown in there too probably

Frost is a WR coach at Oregon. When Gilmore leaves Frost will get the WR job at NU. That is my bold prediction for the near future.

Frost is a WR coach at Oregon. When Gilmore leaves Frost will get the WR job at NU. That is my bold prediction for the near future.

Actually, I was thinking along the same lines.

One of the reasons I was dissapointed Gill took the Kansas job was I figured there went our last chance of ever getting him here.

He's actually older than Bo and interconference coaching transfers are usually frowned upon.