Most intelligent fanbase in the country???

Hahaha! That's pretty funny. We essentially write the same post at the same time. Cheers! :cheers

I know thats cool!!

By the way, I have coached football for 10 years now and you might be shocked how little I still know! I have coached

WR's

OLBers

Special Teams

Been a Head Coach

and currently am a DC

yet, I am lost at times.

My dad being a coach and former Husker, always kind of laughed when he heard "the most knowledgeable" label.

He always said we should be considered the "most loyal"

First, what many of us consider 'knowledge' of the actual X's and O's would last about 5 minutes in a meeting room.

I'd agree with that.

We're not a stupid lot, to be sure. We care about the team and we're crazy passionate. We can go through our roster alphabetically, numerically, frontwards and backwards with the best of 'em. But actual football knowledge, we tend to think of ourselves as experts. For a great majority of us that's not true.

Like the 'best fans' label, the 'most knowledgeable' one is somewhat overplayed, IMO. Above average? Sure. Great? Sure. But I think we act like we as fans are the best thing since sliced bread, which is a bit narrowsighted, IMO.

To use knapp's outstanding metaphor, we got a lot of layer 2/layer 3 fans compared to some fanbases maybe, but that doesn't make us more knowledgeable football fans. At a purely 'knowledge about team' level, we're great - but 'football intel' is a claim I'd hesitate to make.

If we're talking about like COACH knowledgeable...uh, Bo Pelini has forgotten more than I'll ever remember about football.

But as for passionate fan bases that know their football, Nebraska––as always––is premier, and I think a part of that has to do with how exclusive college football is to the state. It's a living example of Richard Dawkins new book,The Only Game in Town, The Greatest Show on Earth. I wouldn't trade Nebraska's fanbase for anyone else's, I can tell you that much.

Seems to make sense now that I think about it. Our fanbase is full of fans who know a lot about the team, and a lot of factual information, but it's hard finding people who actually understand the concepts and philosophies of the actual game itself, which is what I was essentially using as my barometer for "fan intelligence".

Seems to make sense now that I think about it. Our fanbase is full of fans who know a lot about the team, and a lot of factual information, but it's hard finding people who actually understand the concepts and philosophies of the actual game itself, which is what I was essentially using as my barometer for "fan intelligence".

Which is a poor barometer, since no fans of any team in college football really knows the kinds of things you're talking about. In that respect your criteria is a wash.

Which is a poor barometer, since no fans of any team in college football really knows the kinds of things you're talking about. In that respect your criteria is a wash.

Well in all honesty I was comparing most people's insight of the game to my own (which is, admittedly, pathetically uninformed), but I totally agree. It was my mistake.

Well in all honesty I was comparing most people's insight of the game to my own (which is, admittedly, pathetically uninformed), but I totally agree. It was my mistake.

How are you doing that? Where do you rate on the scale of 1-10, with ten being Bo and 1 being a babe in the woods? And then how do you make any kind of legitimate comparison between yourself and "most people?"

I had originally written a "what's the point of this thread" response when you first posted this, then erased it because I thought there was somewhere you were going to take this and I wanted to see. Now I'm kinda forced to ask.... What's the point of this thread? :blink:

The point of the thread was asking people what their experiences were, because I didn't know if I was being arrogant, or if our collective opinion about ourselves was greatly exaggerated, or if the average fan is generally pretty clueless, etc.

Essentially, the point of the thread was to have a discussion about a topic..

The point of the thread was asking people what their experiences were, because I didn't know if I was being arrogant, or if our collective opinion about ourselves was greatly exaggerated, or if the average fan is generally pretty clueless, etc.

Essentially, the point of the thread was to have a discussion about a topic..

are you new here?

When I first heard this moniker, "Most intelligent fan base in the country??" I assumed that they meant it more in a broader sense. Meaning how the BCS operates, where we rank, how far we are likely to go that season, what really big games to focus on etc. It all really depends on the person making the statement, like it's been said every team has knowledgeable fans, but generally any presumed Husker fan should be able to answer 3 out of the 4 questions. IE see the Husker Man Laws lol.

This has always been something Nebraska fans have prided themselves on, and something I've always heard. It was something I always just accepted as being true, or at least partially so, and if I was to judge our intelligence based on forum goers I would probably agree. Thing is, and I don't know if the average football fan is this dumb, or if I am that prideful and arrogant, or if we are wrong in our opinions of ourselves, but anytime I try to talk real Husker football with someone, whether it's at a game, at the grocery store, anywhere, people are either just totally misinformed or don't care too much or think that they know everything and have a decent level of factual knowledge but don't have very good comprehension of things.

The spring game was another example of this for me. The guy next to me had something factual to say after every play, such as drawing strong opinions on how the season would shape out due to a practice, talking about how Bo is having Ron Brown fly down to Texas for some heavy recruiting, or a myriad of other things (some of them correct, some of them wrong and some of them seemingly made up). Half the time I would correct him on something and then he would play it off like "oh yeah duh I knew that!".

What have other people's experiences been like? This hasn't been an isolated incident, I run into people like this often.

Whenever you heard from a commentator about how intelligent Husker fans are they usualy meant.

1. They know when to make noise on defense.

2. They know when to be quiet when the offense is playing.

3. They know good football when they see it.(IE clapping for opponents that deserved to win in a hard fought game)

If you took it as meaning X and O'S and being well informed of what every asst coach is doing then that is more your fault then anyone elses. Though if you took the people that wear corn head hats out of the stadium the Intelligence would probably go up just a smidge.

• Fire 1

This has always been something Nebraska fans have prided themselves on, and something I've always heard. It was something I always just accepted as being true, or at least partially so, and if I was to judge our intelligence based on forum goers I would probably agree. Thing is, and I don't know if the average football fan is this dumb, or if I am that prideful and arrogant, or if we are wrong in our opinions of ourselves, but anytime I try to talk real Husker football with someone, whether it's at a game, at the grocery store, anywhere, people are either just totally misinformed or don't care too much or think that they know everything and have a decent level of factual knowledge but don't have very good comprehension of things.

The spring game was another example of this for me. The guy next to me had something factual to say after every play, such as drawing strong opinions on how the season would shape out due to a practice, talking about how Bo is having Ron Brown fly down to Texas for some heavy recruiting, or a myriad of other things (some of them correct, some of them wrong and some of them seemingly made up). Half the time I would correct him on something and then he would play it off like "oh yeah duh I knew that!".

What have other people's experiences been like? This hasn't been an isolated incident, I run into people like this often.

Whenever you heard from a commentator about how intelligent Husker fans are they usualy meant.

1. They know when to make noise on defense.

2. They know when to be quiet when the offense is playing.

3. They know good football when they see it.(IE clapping for opponents that deserved to win in a hard fought game)

If you took it as meaning X and O'S and being well informed of what every asst coach is doing then that is more your fault then anyone elses. Though if you took the people that wear corn head hats out of the stadium the Intelligence would probably go up just a smidge.

that's exactly what i thought. they know what it means to get a sack that forces third and down, and they know to go crazy for that. the know that a play is working for the 'skers, even if it is just a 5 yard run. they know when a punt is long enough to mean the defense should be able to prevent a touchdown. and they know TO was right to go for it in '84.

basically, they know goo football, they know when the team lives up to expectations, and they know when the other team won because the 'skers got outplayed, rather than just underperformed. and they know it is always awesome to beat ND (which is why we had more fans in south bend than ND fans, i think in 2001? or around then).