Osborne awaits parameters

Nebraska has been second in the nation (to Hawaii) in volleyball attendance since the early 90s. This isn't some new phenomenon.

And while the rest of our sports aren't well-attended, they're comparable to the same sports at other schools. Again, your contention that the ONLY sport we follow at Nebraska is football is not borne out by facts.

Sure, the baseball team's attendance waxes and wanes with their success. Show me a school whose baseball team - or any other sport, for that matter - doesn't show the same attendance based on on-field success.

The fact is that Nebraskans have shown, across a variety of sports, that when there's a decent product on the field/court to watch, we'll be there in the stands or watching it on TV.

The fact is i believe your wife hurt your feelings this morning. you made a statement about TV VEIWERS KNAPP. I never said anything about not following other sports. I made a comment about TV VIEWERS. your super sensitive to something that was never stated my friend. I dont know why your uptight but it seems your looking for a fight. Cause i NEVER said those things for you to react that way.

And as for your last two paragraphs, insert 'nearly every school in the country' in place of Nebraska. You are not unique in that fact. you are the norm.

That is exactly the point. A 1.8 draw for 30 basketball games (much like what MU. PITT. SYRACUSE would all draw) is nearly as much as NE draws for Football. Then add in those schools FB draws which would be easily 4-5 time or more what NE draws for MBB and you see the point. NO amount of Womens bowling and gymanstics can make up the differnce.

So now you're comparing other school's football programs to our bowling and gymnastics programs? Come again?

Try reading it again. This time without your NEBRASKA IS THE GREATEST reading glasses

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that the ONLY benefit to the Big Ten, and more importantly the Big Ten Network, that Nebraska would bring to the table would be in football. Even if that's true it's a winning proposition:

The 2009 Gator Bowl produced a 4.1 rating, or a 58% increase from last year's game, as Nebraska won against Clemson 26-21.

Nebraska played in three of the top five most-watched MNC games ever

That is exactly the point. A 1.8 draw for 30 basketball games (much like what MU. PITT. SYRACUSE would all draw) is nearly as much as NE draws for Football. Then add in those schools FB draws which would be easily 4-5 time or more what NE draws for MBB and you see the point. NO amount of Womens bowling and gymanstics can make up the differnce.

So now you're comparing other school's football programs to our bowling and gymnastics programs? Come again?

Try reading it again. This time without your NEBRASKA IS THE GREATEST reading glasses

1.8 draw for what? TV viewers?

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that the ONLY benefit to the Big Ten, and more importantly the Big Ten Network, that Nebraska would bring to the table would be in football. Even if that's true it's a winning proposition:

The 2009 Gator Bowl produced a 4.1 rating, or a 58% increase from last year's game, as Nebraska won against Clemson 26-21.

never debated that fact. Remember that first post of mine that really torqued you for some reason. NE football is a big draw knappy, never said it wasnt. what were the numbers in that post the other day. a 4.1 share. Thats 57.4 million viewers for 14 games. pretty impressive.

Link where you got your info on your draws or else it is just some random number. Plus, I have been to St. Louis many times...most of the people that I talked to only cared about the St. Louis Cardinals or the Rams. Maybe that was just my experience, but I just don't see a huge following for Missouri college sports. But I need to see the numbers.

never debated that fact. Remember that first post of mine that really torqued you for some reason. NE football is a big draw knappy, never said it wasnt. what were the numbers in that post the other day. a 4.1 share. Thats 57.4 million viewers for 14 games. pretty impressive.

What? Why do you think I'm mad at you? You've posted that several times. You want to show me what you think is me being mad at you?

EDIT - Fro is a big jerky pants. ;)

I'm not so sure that MU basketball televised 30 games a year. I'd be inclined to believe that total yearly viewership over all sports was fairly equal. And if Nebraska somehow pulls out a basketball team, watch out. With 15mil more, we could hire pretty much anyone we wanted to coach for us and field a better team.

Too much attention is being payed to just to local TV markets on bbs's, there surely a lot of other considerations. But lets be honest here, football is the driving force behind this since that is where the big money is.

One thing I haven't seen a lot is adding to the brand and network marketing. Nebraska has one of the strongest national college football brands. Adding UNL would help them market the big 10 network to other places, improves the perception of the strength of the conference, and adds a program with a lot of history, tradition, etc to a conference with a ton of history as well. That's an asset that it might be harder to put a dollar amount to then say multiplying the population of Saint Louis by 70 cents but its definitely worth something.

I'm not so sure that MU basketball televised 30 games a year. I'd be inclined to believe that total yearly viewership over all sports was fairly equal. And if Nebraska somehow pulls out a basketball team, watch out. With 15mil more, we could hire pretty much anyone we wanted to coach for us and field a better team.

yes money will help, but money is not the end all of fielding good teams. Ask Oregon who has more money than god. NIKE money couldn't buy them anyone. They started at the top of the BB list and landed on Dana. Thats a lot of no's.

And fyi MU actually had 37 games telivised (every game including preseason) out of those, 25 were telivised nationally. They other 12 were broadcast on Metro Sports which is a cable channel available mostly in the KC metro. As of March 31, 2009, it was available in approximately 400,000 households. Roughly equal to 1/3 the population of Nebraska.

And Knappy, Must have just been the way I was reading your comments. They seemed to have a little fire thats not normally there. :thumbs

HuskerGBR- I am trying to find the link to an article that ran in the KC star a few months ago talking about the tv ratings for the local colleges. I cant recall the exact numbers but I believe that pretty close. Especially for a school like syracuse. Infact it wouldnt surprise me if it was higher for them. Even if the numbers are not 100% correct, the point was that other schools will greatly outdraw NE in MBB, offsetting that NE outdraws them in FB. Just saying the numbers are closer to the same totals than some may believe. sepated by millions, not 10's of millions

Also, MU has a pretty large following in STL. I just think that people here are in their own world. Just like how KC is an amazing college sports town. Great history and support for many, many college events for all divisions. But I have had people tell me the oppisite that are from nebraska. I dont know if its because not everyone wears college t-shirts or what. I have no clue. But you are right that the Cards rule that town, the rams.....not so much. Atleast not since 2001.

Too much attention is being payed to just to local TV markets on bbs's, there surely a lot of other considerations. But lets be honest here, football is the driving force behind this since that is where the big money is.

One thing I haven't seen a lot is adding to the brand and network marketing. Nebraska has one of the strongest national college football brands. Adding UNL would help them market the big 10 network to other places, improves the perception of the strength of the conference, and adds a program with a lot of history, tradition, etc to a conference with a ton of history as well. That's an asset that it might be harder to put a dollar amount to then say multiplying the population of Saint Louis by 70 cents but its definitely worth something.

Nebraska does bring alot of history. But I am really starting to think that many of you are over valueing your huskers. Like NE joining the BIG10 will change the strenth and perception of the conference. I believe other college powers OSU, MICH, PENN ST. might disagree with you. Adding NE, if it happens, will be a good thing, but not the diffence maker for the big 10. I dont believe nebraska brands anything that all ready isnt branded by current members. Its not like you joing the WAC or Mountain west.

And your right that Football does make the most money, but BB is a huge money maker as well. And the Big10 is more of a BB confernce than the big12. They take great pride in it as well. IT is very important to them and a major source of money for the conference also. Not the end all be all, but a major factor, and one i dont feel should be ignored. Maybe its just that I am a huge BB fan. But to me its like your guys keep bragging about the motor you just got for your car but you forgot to buy the transmision and tires to make it go.

Nebraska does bring alot of history. But I am really starting to think that many of you are over valueing your huskers. Like NE joining the BIG10 will change the strenth and perception of the conference. I believe other college powers OSU, MICH, PENN ST. might disagree with you. Adding NE, if it happens, will be a good thing, but not the diffence maker for the big 10. I dont believe nebraska brands anything that all ready isnt branded by current members. Its not like you joing the WAC or Mountain west.

And your right that Football does make the most money, but BB is a huge money maker as well. And the Big10 is more of a BB confernce than the big12. They take great pride in it as well. IT is very important to them and a major source of money for the conference also. Not the end all be all, but a major factor, and one i dont feel should be ignored. Maybe its just that I am a huge BB fan. But to me its like your guys keep bragging about the motor you just got for your car but you forgot to buy the transmision and tires to make it go.

I would submit that you are overvaluing Missouri's impact and undervaluing Nebraska's. And that's to be expected, you being a Mizzou fan and all. You completely undervalue Nebraska's MBB program, while overvaluing Missouri's. It's great that Mizzou was on TV 36 times last year. But that's not 36 more times than Nebraska was on TV - it was only 16 times more than we were on TV. I have no ratings for these games, but I'm willing to bet that Missouri out-rated Nebraska. But not by a lot. Well over half of Missouri's games were on regional channels, and only nine were on bona fide national channels. Nebraska made five appearances nationwide. That's not a huge disparity.

You guys blow us away in attendance at the arena, of course.

I would submit that you are overvaluing Missouri's impact and undervaluing Nebraska's. And that's to be expected, you being a Mizzou fan and all. You completely undervalue Nebraska's MBB program, while overvaluing Missouri's. It's great that Mizzou was on TV 36 times last year. But that's not 36 more times than Nebraska was on TV - it was only 16 times more than we were on TV. I have no ratings for these games, but I'm willing to bet that Missouri out-rated Nebraska. But not by a lot. Well over half of Missouri's games were on regional channels, and only nine were on bona fide national channels. Nebraska made five appearances nationwide. That's not a huge disparity.

You guys blow us away in attendance at the arena, of course.

Missouri is just easiest to use as an example for me. I think Pitt or maybe Syracuse (although their FB has been a bad draw) are the winners in the examples I am drawling. MU is competive. Not a leader. Basically upper middle.

yes money will help, but money is not the end all of fielding good teams. Ask Oregon who has more money than god. NIKE money couldn't buy them anyone. They started at the top of the BB list and landed on Dana. Thats a lot of no's.

And fyi MU actually had 37 games telivised (every game including preseason) out of those, 25 were telivised nationally. They other 12 were broadcast on Metro Sports which is a cable channel available mostly in the KC metro. As of March 31, 2009, it was available in approximately 400,000 households. Roughly equal to 1/3 the population of Nebraska.

And Knappy, Must have just been the way I was reading your comments. They seemed to have a little fire thats not normally there. :thumbs

HuskerGBR- I am trying to find the link to an article that ran in the KC star a few months ago talking about the tv ratings for the local colleges. I cant recall the exact numbers but I believe that pretty close. Especially for a school like syracuse. Infact it wouldnt surprise me if it was higher for them. Even if the numbers are not 100% correct, the point was that other schools will greatly outdraw NE in MBB, offsetting that NE outdraws them in FB. Just saying the numbers are closer to the same totals than some may believe. sepated by millions, not 10's of millions

Also, MU has a pretty large following in STL. I just think that people here are in their own world. Just like how KC is an amazing college sports town. Great history and support for many, many college events for all divisions. But I have had people tell me the oppisite that are from nebraska. I dont know if its because not everyone wears college t-shirts or what. I have no clue. But you are right that the Cards rule that town, the rams.....not so much. Atleast not since 2001.

I am sure your numbers are actually pretty good...I just like to see them and verify. Sorry that is just my habit when I see numbers :) . I just talked to quite a few people from St. Louis and I just never felt like they cared much about college sports when we were talking about it. I mean I knew more about their program then they did, but maybe that made me generalize. I dated a girl who lived there, so I have been there quite a few times...just to let you know my point of view on the subject. No doubt on the Rams though...I have never seen so many people jump off the bandwagon in my life haha. Man do they love their Cards though!