Osborne awaits parameters

This is something that has been on my mind. MU has been mentioned with the big 10 for years. Before agreeing to the big 12 and now again 12 years later. Nebraska has become a hot topic as of late. Either way, no matter what group thinks they are the best fit, there is a chance both will go. Both will be the new kids on the block and greatly outnumbered by those who are all ready there. NU & MU need to band together if they do make the move. Look out for eachother. I think thats something that is pretty important. But thats just my $0.02

I'm not so sure that MU basketball televised 30 games a year. I'd be inclined to believe that total yearly viewership over all sports was fairly equal. And if Nebraska somehow pulls out a basketball team, watch out. With 15mil more, we could hire pretty much anyone we wanted to coach for us and field a better team.

yes money will help, but money is not the end all of fielding good teams. Ask Oregon who has more money than god. NIKE money couldn't buy them anyone. They started at the top of the BB list and landed on Dana. Thats a lot of no's.

And fyi MU actually had 37 games telivised (every game including preseason) out of those, 25 were telivised nationally. They other 12 were broadcast on Metro Sports which is a cable channel available mostly in the KC metro. As of March 31, 2009, it was available in approximately 400,000 households. Roughly equal to 1/3 the population of Nebraska.

And Knappy, Must have just been the way I was reading your comments. They seemed to have a little fire thats not normally there. :thumbs

HuskerGBR- I am trying to find the link to an article that ran in the KC star a few months ago talking about the tv ratings for the local colleges. I cant recall the exact numbers but I believe that pretty close. Especially for a school like syracuse. Infact it wouldnt surprise me if it was higher for them. Even if the numbers are not 100% correct, the point was that other schools will greatly outdraw NE in MBB, offsetting that NE outdraws them in FB. Just saying the numbers are closer to the same totals than some may believe. sepated by millions, not 10's of millions

Also, MU has a pretty large following in STL. I just think that people here are in their own world. Just like how KC is an amazing college sports town. Great history and support for many, many college events for all divisions. But I have had people tell me the oppisite that are from nebraska. I dont know if its because not everyone wears college t-shirts or what. I have no clue. But you are right that the Cards rule that town, the rams.....not so much. Atleast not since 2001.

I am sure your numbers are actually pretty good...I just like to see them and verify. Sorry that is just my habit when I see numbers :) . I just talked to quite a few people from St. Louis and I just never felt like they cared much about college sports when we were talking about it. I mean I knew more about their program then they did, but maybe that made me generalize. I dated a girl who lived there, so I have been there quite a few times...just to let you know my point of view on the subject. No doubt on the Rams though...I have never seen so many people jump off the bandwagon in my life haha. Man do they love their Cards though!

No problem. I understand where your coming from. I like the numbers too. I am from Missouri. SHOW ME!! :lol: Rams fans... :facepalm: That is a whole nother story. :)

And i know what you mean too on your STL visits. When i first came to NE in 05 I thought all that greatest fan stuff was BS. I had never been around so many people who were 'pretend fans'** It took sometime to find those who fit what you heard about. There are not the main stream guys. For every 10 husker fans there are only 1 or 2 true, hardcore fans. And in my experiance you all run in packs. I know this board is full of you. I mean who spends their time on a board like this if you dont love it. Look at me, I am a really sick puppy because i do it on team boards that are not even my own team. :facepalm:

** 'pretend fans' - I am the fan who wears red, and cheers. Maybe even goes to games. But cant tell you the starters. dont watch when were are bad. Turn off the games when we are losing. And most of all stopped wearing gear or flying flags when things went sour. (AKA BANDWAGON)

As a life long fan of a team that used to win 3-4 games a year for most of my childhood, this ticks me off more than anything in the world. Its easy to cheer for a winner. Those who love it and live it cheer always. Its not easy to love your team when nobody else does. Many on this board now know some of what I felt for most of my childhood. After what you went through with the coach who's name shall not be written, we are like blood brothers. :laughpound

**EDIT**

For clearity, this is in response to bandwagon fans in STL. The rams were very popular when in SB's and one of the NFL's best teams. My move to NE came as NE was going through changes and I saw alot of the same things in Omaha as what people saw in STL. I was just saying that it took sometime. But i found those diehards that I had heard about and there were many of you, in packs together. You are me and I am you. Just in different colors. You get annoyed by all the KU or MU hats you saw around town when only a few had them before. I got annoyed watching husker shirts go into the closet and not being pulled back out until winning seasons were back. It may have read wierd but it was a compliment to those on this board how love their team like i love mine

Edited by fro daddy

You're really down on Nebraska today, aren't you Fro? First you're all over anything we say that sounds like we might benefit the Big 10, now you're throwing our bandwagon fans under the bus. Everything OK in Froville?

i was paying a compliemtn to the crazies on this board. Look at it this way buddy. yeah, there may only be 1 or 2 per 10 that are truly husker die hard. But if there are 5 million husker fans, that means there are like 1 million hard core crazies. Thats awesome. I was just saying that I heard about this 'greatest fans' thing, came up here and I was really dispointed in somepeople. It took some time, but i have found my type of fan. Thats all i was saying. nothing bad.

life, well thats another story. atleast I have health and my family. and a date with you in october in lincoln on a football saturday with beers in hand. :thumbs (notice i said beers. plural :lol: )

You're really down on Nebraska today, aren't you Fro? First you're all over anything we say that sounds like we might benefit the Big 10, now you're throwing our bandwagon fans under the bus. Everything OK in Froville?

i was paying a compliemtn to the crazies on this board. Look at it this way buddy. yeah, there may only be 1 or 2 per 10 that are truly husker die hard. But if there are 5 million husker fans, that means there are like 1 million hard core crazies. Thats awesome. I was just saying that I heard about this 'greatest fans' thing, came up here and I was really dispointed in somepeople. It took some time, but i have found my type of fan. Thats all i was saying.

It's just weird that you would focus on the bad fans, that's all. Sure we have bad fans, but for the most part we're a pretty cool lot. Most folks who visit say this was the best place they've visited. Several writers & announcers over the years have paid us compliments as the most hospitable place they've ever been.

It's all in what you want to focus on, I guess.

PS - I don't have tickets to the game, but I can try to get some if you're coming down. :thumbs

Quite frankly, it will be easier for us to boost our basketball program than for you to boost your overall television views. In the end, we're in a better position to capitalize in the next 10 years on a move and an increase in revenue. Plus we're hoping to get a new Arena in town which will also help. If we can field a top25 team, I'm sure that MBB will become a huge draw in Nebraska and outside of it. Say we throw 4mil a year out of our newfound revenue at a new coach after completing our arena. I'm pretty certain it would seriously upgrade our program.

I'm not so sure that MU basketball televised 30 games a year. I'd be inclined to believe that total yearly viewership over all sports was fairly equal. And if Nebraska somehow pulls out a basketball team, watch out. With 15mil more, we could hire pretty much anyone we wanted to coach for us and field a better team.

yes money will help, but money is not the end all of fielding good teams. Ask Oregon who has more money than god. NIKE money couldn't buy them anyone. They started at the top of the BB list and landed on Dana. Thats a lot of no's.

And fyi MU actually had 37 games telivised (every game including preseason) out of those, 25 were telivised nationally. They other 12 were broadcast on Metro Sports which is a cable channel available mostly in the KC metro. As of March 31, 2009, it was available in approximately 400,000 households. Roughly equal to 1/3 the population of Nebraska.

And Knappy, Must have just been the way I was reading your comments. They seemed to have a little fire thats not normally there. :thumbs

HuskerGBR- I am trying to find the link to an article that ran in the KC star a few months ago talking about the tv ratings for the local colleges. I cant recall the exact numbers but I believe that pretty close. Especially for a school like syracuse. Infact it wouldnt surprise me if it was higher for them. Even if the numbers are not 100% correct, the point was that other schools will greatly outdraw NE in MBB, offsetting that NE outdraws them in FB. Just saying the numbers are closer to the same totals than some may believe. sepated by millions, not 10's of millions

Also, MU has a pretty large following in STL. I just think that people here are in their own world. Just like how KC is an amazing college sports town. Great history and support for many, many college events for all divisions. But I have had people tell me the oppisite that are from nebraska. I dont know if its because not everyone wears college t-shirts or what. I have no clue. But you are right that the Cards rule that town, the rams.....not so much. Atleast not since 2001.

I am sure your numbers are actually pretty good...I just like to see them and verify. Sorry that is just my habit when I see numbers :) . I just talked to quite a few people from St. Louis and I just never felt like they cared much about college sports when we were talking about it. I mean I knew more about their program then they did, but maybe that made me generalize. I dated a girl who lived there, so I have been there quite a few times...just to let you know my point of view on the subject. No doubt on the Rams though...I have never seen so many people jump off the bandwagon in my life haha. Man do they love their Cards though!

No problem. I understand where your coming from. I like the numbers too. I am from Missouri. SHOW ME!! :lol: Rams fans... :facepalm: That is a whole nother story. :)

And i know what you mean too on your STL visits. When i first came to NE in 05 I thought all that greatest fan stuff was BS. I had never been around so many people who were 'pretend fans'** It took sometime to find those who fit what you heard about. There are not the main stream guys. For every 10 husker fans there are only 1 or 2 true, hardcore fans. And in my experiance you all run in packs. I know this board is full of you. I mean who spends their time on a board like this if you dont love it. Look at me, I am a really sick puppy because i do it on team boards that are not even my own team. :facepalm:

** 'pretend fans' - I am the fan who wears red, and cheers. Maybe even goes to games. But cant tell you the starters. dont watch when were are bad. Turn off the games when we are losing. And most of all stopped wearing gear or flying flags when things went sour. (AKA BANDWAGON)

As a life long fan of a team that used to win 3-4 games a year for most of my childhood, this ticks me off more than anything in the world. Its easy to cheer for a winner. Those who love it and live it cheer always. Its not easy to love your team when nobody else does. Many on this board now know some of what I felt for most of my childhood. After what you went through with the coach who's name shall not be written, we are like blood brothers. :laughpound

I don't even wear red anymore. I found out that my lucky green shirt has never failed me. I didn't wear my green shirt against TT and Iowa St...coincidence...I don't think so. This started in 2008 and we have not played one bad game when I wear that shirt. We may have lost a game or two, but we fought hard and played well. You were talking about fans who wear red and that just reminded me of my superstition on that.

We may have some bandwagon fans or uninformed fans, but we have some of the most loyal, dedicated, passionate, fans out there. I would compare it to STL and their love of the Cards. I see some similarities there. You should check out some small towns though...I am telling you they fly the American flag first and then the Husker flag right under that. They may not know everything there is to know about Husker football, but they will die Husker fans. And most of them aren't on boards or anything, because honestly they are old and don't care to get on computers. So I guess I see it differently on our hardcore fans. We don't go too crazy, because that really isn't our nature in Nebraska.

Plus our spring game almost sells out and that is for a practice at $10 a pop. Entire towns will practically shut down during game time. I lived in one of 7k people and that is exactly what happens. I think we have some of the greatest fans out there.

Of course that is for Husker football...some of the other sports don't really have our support like that, but I really wish we could get that for baseball...maybe someday.

Quite frankly, it will be easier for us to boost our basketball program than for you to boost your overall television views. In the end, we're in a better position to capitalize in the next 10 years on a move and an increase in revenue. Plus we're hoping to get a new Arena in town which will also help. If we can field a top25 team, I'm sure that MBB will become a huge draw in Nebraska and outside of it. Say we throw 4mil a year out of our newfound revenue at a new coach after completing our arena. I'm pretty certain it would seriously upgrade our program.

We might be able to draw fans. Basketball isn't in my blood but I follow it. I've been taking my daughter to the women's games for about three years now. I was always a closet Bulls fan growing up, then when they drafted Jordan I started following more and more until they got really good and I didn't miss a game. Now I only occasionally glance at a game because, like the Huskers, the Bullies are pathetic. I suppose if the Men's team played like we expect our football team to play I'd watch them more. But I don't think basketball is ingrained in a lot of Husker fans like football is.

Volleyball took 15 or more years of Pettit building the team before it really got a big following back in the early 90s. In that decade and a half Pettit went around Nebraska educating people on the game, and running coaching clinics to make a better recruiting base for his team. It paid off, but it was a looooong process. Someone needs to do that with basketball here, too.

here's how you do it:

Nebraska

Penn St

Ohio St

Michigan

Wisconsin

Iowa

in no particular order...now, in no particular order

Missouri

Michigan

Ohio St

Wisconsin

Iowa

Penn St

tell me football-wise what you would prefer/think is better?

you can crow all day about viewers, ratings, region, academics, other sports, et al....

however, adding N into any of the B10 makes it automatically better. whereas, Mizzou...uh, sorry...not so much. Adding N makes it tougher for SEC, Pac10, ACC to argue that B10 has cakewalk to MNC game; N makes the Top Half better. Mizzou, no offense intended, it is a legitimately competitive school, but it only makes MSU, IU, ND, Purdue better--which is the bottom half.

I hope somehow the B12 works out its bitch-fest and realizes All in is better than a 'new mash-up'...although, I think Texass would suffer most which I like that dream.

See? N inside the B10 means more overall long range to the country than Mizzou entry to B10. I was pissed when they broke Big8, those days are over...so if B12 is over, well...lets do N to B10

I'm not saying it couldnt happen GBR, but there are examples of teams throwing tons on money to coaches and schools that have new arenas and it doesnt matter. It could happen quickly, but it does not seem likely. No top level coach is going to go to a bottom feeder program. Again just 2 weeks ago you saw what happens when a program with a state of the art complex and lots of money gets when they go after someone and are not considered a destination job. Oregon is a much better BB program than NE. With better facilities and more money. What NE needs to do is get serious about basketball, find a mid major or lower coach who can be a difference maker and let them have the reigns. and as Knapp said, be willing to wait. It takes time sometimes.

And although i dont disagree that NU basketball has nowhere to go but up. And there could be leaps within 10 years to boost the program. Lets just say for arguements sake that MU continues to win atleast 8 games or more a year for the next 10 years. That means there will be a new generation of MU fans. Like i said I followed MU winning 3 or 4 games a year when I was young. Many other kids picked winners. Not to many MU football fans in my childhood. If MU is that winner now, that is a brand new group of lifers who are MU fans and there is many more of them than in my generation. So There for wouldnt MU's viewers increase? I think a program that was dead for 20 years has a pretty good chance to increase revenues by continuing to improve year after year. After all MU has only really been alive and breathing for 7 years now. There is only room to grow.

I think you're drastically underestimating Dana Altman's ability, Fro. He's a decent BB coach.

he is decent. but your kidding yourself if you think he was anywhere near the top of a wish list. 2 million seems like a lot of money for Altman.

He is not top tier or elite though. He has had a destinct advantage over other valley teams for the last 7 seasons and has produced one league winner and 2 tourney one and dones. He had a hell of a run from 2000-2005 but did little in the six seasons before and the last five since. Maybe he will surprise me, but he looks more and more like a decent coach who hit a jackpot in the early 00's

but thats just one guys opinion. I am sure others feel like I do just like i know others feel differently