Yearly OKLAHOMA Game?

This might sound like blasphemy to some, but ever since we lost our yearly OU game since the formation of the Big 12, what used to be an event around these parts had lost its luster. In other words, I don't get that same feeling I used to when we were in the Big 8, so I've sort of lost interest in trying to regain what was lost in the NU/OU rivalry.

Don't forget that OU had a choice to play us every year once the Big 12 came into existence but chose not to. Granted it was during their down years when that decision was made, but that tells us a lot about where their priorities were at the time. The NU/OU game just wasn't as important to them as their border rivalry with Texas.

Needless to say, I enjoy playing them whenever we get the chance. But it just doesn't compare to the Big 8 era. It just feels like we've outgrown each other and moved on.

But, yeah..I agree.

It seemed to coincide with OU giving up the Wishbone..Russia losing Communism...The Berlin Wall comming down.

:lol:

Classic movie.

This might sound like blasphemy to some, but ever since we lost our yearly OU game since the formation of the Big 12, what used to be an event around these parts had lost its luster. In other words, I don't get that same feeling I used to when we were in the Big 8, so I've sort of lost interest in trying to regain what was lost in the NU/OU rivalry.

Don't forget that OU had a choice to play us every year once the Big 12 came into existence but chose not to. Granted it was during their down years when that decision was made, but that tells us a lot about where their priorities were at the time. The NU/OU game just wasn't as important to them as their border rivalry with Texas.

Needless to say, I enjoy playing them whenever we get the chance. But it just doesn't compare to the Big 8 era. It just feels like we've outgrown each other and moved on.

But, yeah..I agree.

It seemed to coincide with OU giving up the Wishbone..Russia losing Communism...The Berlin Wall comming down.

:lol:

Classic movie.

I actually met Matt "Guitar" Murphy in front of the Zoo Bar back in the Summer of '88'?.

He sat on the hood of my car and tried talking my date into something? after closing time.

Though in the past this was a great traditional game BECAUSE it was a game we had to play in our conference, those days are long gone. While homer fans are thinking of course of the thrill of beating OU, they are not taking into account a likely every other year loss (if not more frequently) in this current environment. With all of the big time FB schools in the Big 10 we will be joining, we don't need to look OOC for a 'challenge'. We haven't dominated Misery lately, let's start there, try to beat the biggies out east and not pretend that we are better than we are. NCs are played by undefeated teams. Adding an OOC opponent, perennially among the top 10 and possessing a better recruiting base recently than NU, is bad for a program just now getting back on track.

We keep thinking that Oklahoma would want this game. Not on your life. We are not their rival, never have been, never will be. They had to go through us to get to the championsip and Orange Bowl, nothing more. Their rival is Texas, not Oklahoma State, but the Cowboys are far more important to them than we ever were. We had many great games with them, time to move on to new tough games and possibly making a rival out of one them.

It would be the same answer, no need in taking on another possible loss early in the season, to take yourself out of the NC hunt. That could be said for either side.

If we actually move to the Big Ten-sixteen we will have plenty of competition. They will be in our grills and ready to whip the new guy. We do not need to disrespect our new league members by saying Oklahoma is more important either.

This is not going to be the cake walk some seem to think. We walk into true college football tradition with many of these schools. They are not Baylor, Texas Tech, KState, Kansas, Oklahoma State, most are real football powers at one time or another. They have their door mats no question, but overall the leauge is much stronger on a tradition basis I think.

We keep thinking that Oklahoma would want this game. Not on your life. We are not their rival, never have been, never will be. They had to go through us to get to the championsip and Orange Bowl, nothing more. Their rival is Texas, not Oklahoma State, but the Cowboys are far more important to them than we ever were. We had many great games with them, time to move on to new tough games and possibly making a rival out of one them.

You're right up until you get to the Oklahoma State part. We have always been Oklahoma's #2 opponent. You can ask just about any Oklahoma fan and they'll tell you the same. I talked to several OU fans last year and they all said the same thing: They miss playing us every year for the Big 8 championship. Every one of them said that.

Agreed, that we were, but I doubt it anymore. With Pickens dropping the cash and Okie Lite making strides at becoming a player, they need to keep their house in order.

Today if the choice was made who they wanted to play or needed to play, my guess is it would be Okie Lite.

In the area of past history and tradition, I am sure we rank near Texas with them. But they have a home town war brewing. Okie State is not going to go away is my guess.

Either way we are never going to play them every year again. And that is sad, it was a great game that nailed you to the radio or TV on those fantastic late fall weekends. For Nebraska fans it was what it was all about.

Agreed, that we were, but I doubt it anymore. With Pickens dropping the cash and Okie Lite making strides at becoming a player, they need to keep their house in order.

Today if the choice was made who they wanted to play or needed to play, my guess is it would be Okie Lite.

In the area of past history and tradition, I am sure we rank near Texas with them. But they have a home town war brewing. Okie State is not going to go away is my guess.

Either way we are never going to play them every year again. And that is sad, it was a great game that nailed you to the radio or TV on those fantastic late fall weekends. For Nebraska fans it was what it was all about.

I don't know how much more recent evidence you need than last November. I just spoke to several OK fans, man. I think you're dreaming this OK State thing up and working hard to justify it, when you'd be better off going to an Oklahoma message board and asking people, since you don't seem to believe me. Or ask HSKRNOKC or HuskerFanInOkieLand. They'll tell you what I'm telling you.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

I tend to use common sense and you use Husker red glasses above all.

That is where we differ, all good, but I do not have to accept yours nor you mine.

Talking to fans and their thoughts very seldom reflects the actual issue.

Trust me if it were us or Oklahoma State going with Oklahoma to another conference, we would be setting here alone.

They refused to play us every year, not Oklahoma State.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

I tend to use common sense and you use Husker red glasses above all.

That is where we differ, all good, but I do not have to accept yours nor you mine.

Talking to fans and their thoughts very seldom reflects the actual issue.

Trust me if it were us or Oklahoma State going with Oklahoma to another conference, we would be setting here alone.

They refused to play us every year, not Oklahoma State.

That common sense you're sporting ain't worth a plug nickel when you have zero evidence to back up what you say, yet I've spoken to Oklahoma fans who gave me my information.

Continue to live in your delusions. It's what you're best at. :thumbs

Like I said, speaking to Oklahoma fan has little bearing in what would really happen.

If Oklahoma wanted to play us every year it would happen. Hasn't happened for awhile now. Why, because they said they did not want to.

I am not talking about fan speak. I am talking about people who make the choices, alas neither you nor their fans make though choices.

Again, go ahead on your, I am the only one that is allowed to have an opinion. It reverbs here on every post.

Thanks for your opinion, I have something like it, but it smells.