*** Official World Cup 2010 Thread***

Everyone dismisses Italy every year...I can never understand why people do that. They have won 4 World Cups and are the most successful European side for a reason.

Do they play flashy Brazilian or Spanish style? No, but they play a way that wins a lot of games and wins the big matches as well.

I personally love Italian football. They don't care how many chances at goal they get, all they need is one and are content to beat you 1-0.

I think Italy will actually do well in this Cup, Cannavaro played pretty dang well for a 37 year old man. He had chunks of time where he was looking like the 2006 version. Pirlo and Camoranesi coming back and starting will only help, especially Pirlo, he is the man that runs the show and will make them more creative.

And by the way....I love Maicon. My favorite current RB. I hope this silences those that thought Dani Alves should be starting over him...Maicon is a better defender and has that goal scoring knack.

And Spain chokes in a World Cup...what a shocker. Bad first touches, inconsistent defending, and an attacking style that can't generate decisive, moving attacks from more than 25 yards out lost them the game.

Dude, I saw the second half of that match. It was crazy intense. Surprising, too. Spain was attacking the goal left and right––nothing was working. Think the Swiss had a bit of luck on their side that time.

The Swiss had some luck, yeah, but Spain also got lucky Switzerland didn't score a second goal. In the end, Spain's momentary lapse in the back third cost them the game. They're not built around breaking a defense like the Swiss threw up once they had the lead (well, even before they had the lead, as they just play that mass shell defense with minor counter attacks). So once they allowed the Swiss to score and turtle even more, Spain tried to switch tactics. To their credit it worked a little, but not enough. They just don't attack in the proper style to beat that type of defense with any certainty.

Spain likes to work the ball in deep with fancy passing. They also like to get their crosses in and all that. But unfortunately, when you've got 90% of the Swiss team crowding the box, it's rare that will work for Spain. They needed to start attacks from further back, like at 30+ yards. Longer balls, spread the Swiss out wide and long, then let their superior skill and passing go to work once they're inside their perimeter. They tried, but not nearly good enough.

Uruguay Embarrass South Africa 3-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SApNpOhnSY

early exit for the host country? I think so. The strangest sight of the match was seeing South Africa's keeper Khune given a straight red in the 76th minute for a very bad challenge on Luis Suarez who was all alone in front of the goal. Khune is the second goalkeeper ever to be red-carded, joining Italy's Gianluca Pagliuca in 1994.

Forlan was in incredible form. What can you say about him that hasn't already been said? too bad he couldn't get the hat trick

Argentina Destroy South Korea 4-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8lXn6Jjdao

Gonzalo Higuain! The Galactico star scored the hat trick in an absolute rout over South Korea. If not for a momentary lapse of judgment by Demichelis, South Korea would have been shut out.

Tevez and Messi also had a pair of great chances to score. Tevez shot one over the crossbar off a free kick. Messi crossed up a defender and looped one just wide of the right post.

Greece Beat Nigeria 2-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqrh1kA0bxA

Greece got their first ever World Cup win (and goal!). They can thank Sani Kaita who was sent off in the 33rd minute for violent conduct (after the ball went out of play he pushed and kicked Torosidis). The red card shifted all the momentum to Greece as Nigeria had the majority of ball possession up until that point.

It's hard watching a Bradley coached US squad. The team has no fire, and no leadership. Looking like they are too busy being sissies rather than take the shot, lets just pass a wide open shot and give the ball away. Our defense is getting eatin up out there and there will be no changes to shore that up. We lose today and next week I wont have to watch the US suck for the rest of the tournament.