Maple Tree Seed

So my neighbor has a Maple tree that must have hit maturity this year, because my back yard is completely covered in whirleybird seeds. I mean covered. As in parts of my yard have more seeds than grass showing.

I have tried mowing over/mulching them, mow/bagging them, and even shop-vacing them. None of it really worked, except for the combo of shopvac and raking. But that was both very tedious and not all that successful. They are just to far embedded into the grass.

Anyone here have any practical advice on removing/containing/neutering the darned things? Someone should really make a sterilization spray that can be administered directly to the tree.

I have the same problem, literally thousands of the things in my back yard. You can't suck them up with the mower because of their aerodynamic properties (weird thing to think about with a seed, huh?).

All I do is just suffer through them until they bury themselves in the ground and start growing. A decent weed killer like Weed B Gone will kill them without killing your grass, or if you don't want to do that, just mow over the little saplings a few times and they'll die.

Those maples are nice trees, but they're a damned nuisance sometimes.

Maybe I'll offer some of the younger neighbor kids a bounty of $1 per bag or something and let the little monsters hand pick them.

I have a gum tree in my front yard. I pay my daughter a buck a bucket to clear my lawn of those annoying spiky balls. My naeigbor's maple dumps all of its leaves and all of its seeds directly into my driveway. I just blow them up against the house and suck them up with the leaf blower/vac.

I know of a way to get rid of the tree. It'll live this summer and then die off in the winter... if you're interested.

Psst... PM me.

It'll have to wait till after 5 mountain time. :thumbs

Sounds dangerous with how big the damn tree is. Would probably fall through the master bedroom roof and smash me in my sleep.

At least the tree would be gone for the house's next occupants though...

Burn you yard with gasoline, turn it into a parking lot, burn your neighbors tree down, urinate on the ashes. Problem solved........ :)

I was just thinking flame thrower, too...Then throw out some sod or seeds in the ashes...Either that or put up tiny signs for the neighborhood squirrels advertising free maple-nuts. :snacks:

And covertly cutting a strip around the base of the tree with a pocet knife to render it dead within the year.