Big XII revenue sharing/TV network deal

Guys,

Was speaking with a friend of mine (OU fan) and we were talking about all of the conference expansion jazz and the question came up whether or not Nebraska was getting a bigger piece of the revenue pie in the 90's when we were the best team in the conference. I tried to do a little research on the revenue sharing history, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know how the whole revenue sharing thing is determined and how the pie was divided in the past? Furthermore, can someone explain the advantages of the Big 10 tv network deal?

Guys,

Was speaking with a friend of mine (OU fan) and we were talking about all of the conference expansion jazz and the question came up whether or not Nebraska was getting a bigger piece of the revenue pie in the 90's when we were the best team in the conference. I tried to do a little research on the revenue sharing history, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know how the whole revenue sharing thing is determined and how the pie was divided in the past? Furthermore, can someone explain the advantages of the Big 10 tv network deal?

Right off the bat I can't answer the first part of your question, but I'll see what I can find, if anything?

As for the Big Ten TV revenue, it's split evenly across the board.

Last year, schools received roughly $9 million each from the conference's deal with ABC/ESPN and another $7 million to $8 million from the BTN. Add revenue from bowl games, the NCAA basketball tournament and licensing, and you arrive at the estimated $22 million-a-year distribution figure that's the envy of every Division I school outside the Southeastern Conference.

If the Big Ten expands and chooses the right schools, conference officials have seen estimates of television revenues doubling by 2015-16.

LINK

• Fire 1

Furthermore, several advantages of the Big Ten TV deal:

1) Only 2 Big Ten football games weren't televised last year. The rest are shown on either the Big Ten Network or ESPN/ABC. The way it works is ESPN/ABC get first dibs on the marquee games with the rest of the Big Ten games shown on the Big Ten Network.

2) You can also stream games (live and archived) from the internet directly from Big Ten Network's website. Another added perk is you can also watch Big Ten games online via stream if you live outside of the United States. More info. here.

3) Big Ten Network doesn't only show athletics, but also showcases life on all the Big Ten campuses as it pertains to academics and student life. They even showed a live broadcast of Obama's graduation speech at Michigan a month ago. Basically anything Big Ten-related, sports or academics gets TV coverage.

Additionally to #3, they also show Classic Games in the same vein as ESPN Classics.

There's tons more stuff I'm probably missing here, but you get the idea.

• Fire 1

Wow....

Maud, I just found an old newspaper scan via Google from 1971 about Big 8 TV revenue. It's from Reading Eagle. A newspaper out of Reading, Pennsylvania. Anyway, the very last paragraph says:

Last year the seven exposures brought the conference about $1.2 million, the most ever, which was distributed equally among the eight schools.

LINK

So the real question is, did the equal distribution among the Big Eight stay the same until the Big 12 was formed?

Stay tuned. I'll see if I can find out more.

• Fire 1

Interesting that a Nebraska representative thought it was a huge and great step back then.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I often am. But are we upset with the Big 12 not sharing revenue evenly or is mainly because Dan Beebe is blowing Texas? If it's the second guess then I'm not all surprised that we was in favor of the non equal revenue share. Looking at the vote passed 6 - 2 obviously we were not the only ones. We would probably vote the same today.

Interesting that a Nebraska representative thought it was a huge and great step back then.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I often am. But are we upset with the Big 12 not sharing revenue evenly or is mainly because Dan Beebe is blowing Texas? If it's the second guess then I'm not all surprised that we was in favor of the non equal revenue share. Looking at the vote passed 6 - 2 obviously we were not the only ones. We would probably vote the same today.

No, we agree with Texas on TV revenue.

• Fire 1

ok I thought it wasn't the revenue part lol

ok I thought it wasn't the revenue part lol

:thumbs