Demar Dorsey's status at Michigan up in the air

Demar Dorsey's (Lauderdale Lakes, Fla./Boyd Anderson) admission into Michigan remains in limbo, according to his high school head coach, Mark James.

The Under Armour All-American defensive back was committed to Florida for much of his senior season before decommitting and eventually switching to Michigan on national signing day. He is the No. 12 player overall in the Class of 2010.

Dorsey is fully qualified by NCAA standards, but the University of Michigan has yet to allow him to enroll.

"Demar is an NCAA qualifier with a 2.5 or 2.6 GPA and an 18 score on the ACT," said James. "But he hasn't yet been granted at Michigan."

Controversy surrounded Dorsey's commitment to Michigan when it was disclosed that he was arrested twice as a juvenile. He was acquitted on a charge of robbery with a deadly weapon in 2008 and had a previous charge of burglary dismissed.

James suggested that some of Dorsey's issues with his admission may stem from his previous transgressions with the law.

"It's very possible," James added. "I've been talking with the coaches [at Michigan] and they continue to work on it."

If Dorsey is not admitted to Michigan, he can go to junior college or re-open his recruitment. James believes his former player will opt for the latter. However, Dorsey signed a letter of intent to Fort Scott Community College in Kansas as a fallback option in case he did not receive a qualifying test score.

"Right now I think the plan would be to re-open his recruitment and see what's out there," James said. "If he can't find something he likes he'll probably go to a juco for a year and try it again."

LINK

Maybe it's different between how Football players get scholarships, but to be offered in soccer you have to have already applied to the school and received an admission to the said school. If Michigan extended a scholarship to this young man, wouldn't they, legally, have to adhere to it? I could be way off because football does do some things differently then other sports, but who knows.

Has Bo taken any guys with major red flags in their past? I mean would he want this kid if he went to FSCC?

i think he'd look at each kid individually. the kid has apparently never been convicted of anything, so if we do our due diligence and find out what we can, i could see us taking a shot at him. if he goes to FSCC first, all the better, as we'll be able to check with trusted connections to see what the kid's like.

also, josh williams is one example of a kid the staff took despite some question marks.

Well I'm sure Rich Rod is kind of at the Michigans Admins mercy with some of the heat he's attracted to Mich with the whole too many hours of practice than is allowed dealio. It might be one of those things that Rich has to let this one slip away because the brass isn't going to take any heat for him messing up anymore. I'm guessing they are trying to be as clean as possible right now in Wolverine land.

I don't know about this one. Kid must be some kind of trouble if even slimeball Rich-Rod isn't pushing too hard to get him to Ann Arbor.

x1000

Kid has been in an insane amount of trouble for a HS kid. I'm thinking coaches almost want him to go to a JUCO to prove he can straighten up before they give him a chance.

And I hope he does - it would be a shame to waste the talent this kid has.

• 2 weeks later...