"An offer has been made"

Take it fwiw:

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=143839427&mid=143839427&sid=901&style=2

Breaking: Big Ten Offers Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri and Notre Dame

Just spoke with my friend at the Big Ten. The offer to Missouri is contingent upon Texas AND/OR ND joining. Will post more details as I hear.

I believe this is the same cat who started the internet boom a couple weeks ago.

This right here is what I was hoping would happen.

Take it fwiw:

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=143839427&mid=143839427&sid=901&style=2

Breaking: Big Ten Offers Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri and Notre Dame

Just spoke with my friend at the Big Ten. The offer to Missouri is contingent upon Texas AND/OR ND joining. Will post more details as I hear.

I believe this is the same cat who started the internet boom a couple weeks ago.

If this was true, why is Chip Brown acting like a douche?

It's probably because he actually is a douche but still.

• Fire 1

Something that may very well be "point on" from the Missouri boards:

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=7634333

Delaney said he wants "hr" additions and he wants a double check mate. This guy is playing this game at a totally different level and everyone is trying to decipher his moves. There is a massive amount of disinformation, false leaks, etc. out there.

But have no doubt about it, he wants UT. And how do you get UT?

By making UT think that its conference will (justifiably) end soon. Who is the only logical team that can join the B10 and by doing so (besides UT) end the B12. Nebraska. That's it. Everyone has said the league would continue if MU left. But not NU.

So the B10 invites NU. B12 is going to end and UT/A&M are looking for a home. Pac-10 looks decent, but wait, there is this insanely rich league up north that has a monster T.V. contract already in place. It doesn't need to be built from the ground up or renegotiated (like the P-10). It is already in place, which means immediate buckets of cash.

Tough choice for UT.

So maybe UT goes for the $$$, maybe it doesn't

But Delaney is playing a game of chess. That's the only way to understand it.

Something that may very well be "point on" from the Missouri boards:

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=7634333

Those are all good points, but would Nebraska be considering a move to the Big 10 if it thought it would run (again) into Texas there? I'm not talking about the score of any one football game, I'm talking about the fact that the atmosphere between the two administrations is probably not the best right now.

OTOH, Nebraska is clearly bailing for money...that's something everyone in Austin understands.

Those are all good points, but would Nebraska be considering a move to the Big 10 if it thought it would run (again) into Texas there? I'm not talking about the score of any one football game, I'm talking about the fact that the atmosphere between the two administrations is probably not the best right now.

OTOH, Nebraska is clearly bailing for money...that's something everyone in Austin understands.

As I understand it, the Presidents/Chancellors of Nebraska and Texas are very close. I understand TO's issue with UT; however, I don't know that that extends beyond the athletic department.

Furthermore, IF Texas were to come to the Big Ten along with Nebraska; THEN to me, that is epic:

1) 5 of the top 6 winningest programs in CFB history.

2) Even more televisions to watch the Big Ten Network which = even more money.

3) Amongst other points.

• Fire 1

I'm trying to keep my links in a single thread, so I apologize if you guys don't like me digging up old/past threads:

Latest from the NW board's favorite poster:

Breaking: Big Ten Offers Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri and Notre Dame Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- 6/10 Morning Update:

I do have somewhat of an update as of this morning. I say somewhat because it depends not on the Big Ten itself, but on a number of non-Big Ten schools. This whole process (the expansion strategies, not the message board banter) is absolutely fascinating.

So let me first say that the Big Ten is aware of the original message board thread and believes that it has played a role in bringing about the discussions to where they are now, for better or worse. My friend has kept me in the loop continuously, and as of this point there are some things, if disclosed, that can hurt the negotiation process for the Big Ten. There are others that can help. And I'm a low-risk outlet for information because I have no credibility (other than the 30,000 page views primarily from large southern and eastern states - to you I say thank you for giving Northwestern a moment to occupy the center of the college football world. I believe this will become more commonplace in the future as Pat Fitzgerald continues to build a program of excellence in Evanston.) (One other thing: Northwestern owns justIowa. Remember that.)

The "somewhat" update is two parts, as follows: First, some very interesting things are happening in the Big East right now. If I said anything more about that, it would jeopardize the position of the Big Ten, so suffice it to say that this depends on the status of that school in South Bend.

Second, after the hasty entry of Nebraska, the Big Ten presidents are less unified on letting schools of questionable academic merits into the conference. In fact, blocs of voting Big Ten members have emerged in support of and in opposition to certain schools becoming admitted into the conference. This relates to the first part in that disclosures of the schools in discussion would jeopardize the position of the Big Ten.

Sorry for the "somewhat" update, but things will become clear soon enough. For now, keep your eyes on South Bend and Austin.

Another post from PBC on Wildcat Report:

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?SID=901&fid=57&style=2&tid=143839427&Page=4

Have to scroll down to get to it.

Re: Breaking: Big Ten Offers Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri and Notre Dame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delany is a genius.

Like I said, I have enough information here to write a book, which I intend to do. This isn't a this week thing, this isn't a last year thing, this is a process that has played out for over a decade.

JoePa has played a huge part in this. That guy...

Another post from PBC on Wildcat Report:

http://northwestern....43839427&Page=4

Have to scroll down to get to it.

Re: Breaking: Big Ten Offers Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri and Notre Dame

Delany is a genius.

Like I said, I have enough information here to write a book, which I intend to do. This isn't a this week thing, this isn't a last year thing, this is a process that has played out for over a decade.

JoePa has played a huge part in this. That guy...

So who is this PBC character?

Purple Book Cat is the guy on the Northwestern boards who shared information a week or so ago that apparently sent Delaney through the roof at the Big Ten offices. The speculation is that it was a little bit too close to home, because PBC claims that the info comes from a Big Ten representative. Thus far, his info has been on point.

Below is what started it all 5/8/10:

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=142885732&mid=142885732&sid=901&style=2

I just had a few beers tonight with a friend who works for the Big Ten here in Chicago. According to him, the Big Ten has focused their efforts on and is getting hot with three schools: Notre Dame, Texas, and Nebraska.

A few things stood out about what he told me. First, contrary to my understanding of the benefits of expansion, the Big Ten is NOT pursuing a playoff system in football. Instead of a playoff, the football teams would all be required to add an additional one or two out of conference game, which would push the regular season back one week or two. The Big Ten wants to maintain the end of season rivalry games at the end of the football season as opposed to adding a playoff.

Second, the Big Ten, Texas and Notre Dame are discussing a special rule to accommodate both of those schools. Instead of playing 8 games, both Texas and ND would play 7 to enable each school to play 6 out of conference games. That's apparently the caveat that brought both to the table, and Texas and ND also want to play each other every year. The tradeoff is that an 8-0 Big Ten team would always trump a 7-0 ND/Texas as conference champion, which is a potential logistical sticking point for the Big Ten and these teams. But apparently ND and Texas value the extra OOC game more than the conference championship potential, and ND and Texas want to play each other every year making the tie between two 7-0 teams impossible. They're also looking at potentially giving a automatic BCS slot for a 7-0 ND/Texas Big Ten team that loses the conference championship to an 8-0 team as a carrot, where the 8-0 team could still get the at-large but isn't guaranteed.

Finally, the Big East is essentially pushing ND to discussions with the Big Ten. The Big East has presented an ultimatum to ND to play football or get out of the conference for the other sports in order to protect the integrity of the remainder of the conference. Apparently discussions have taken place between the Big Ten and the Big East, and the current understanding is that the Big Ten will not accept any other Big East schools if ND joins the Big Ten. ND also will retain a national schedule, particularly with Texas joining, where it would have the ability to schedule 6 OOC games plus one game with Texas. This means they're picking up only three additional games with Big Ten schools while playing in the conference.

Very cool to hear the details from the inside tonight.

--- 6/9/2010 Update:

Thanks to spartantailgate.com for preserving my original post. I have kept notes on the entire development of this and will write it into a book or some other form, it really has been fascinating. It's pretty clear at this point that neither I nor my friend will be in any trouble for me writing anything.

Congratulations to the Big Ten either way. Today is a big day for you, after literally years and years of work.

This post was edited on 6/10 10:21 AM by PURPLE Book Cat

Purple Book Cat is the guy on the Northwestern boards who shared information a week or so ago that apparently sent Delaney through the roof at the Big Ten offices. The speculation is that it was a little bit too close to home, because PBC claims that the info comes from a Big Ten representative. Thus far, his info has been on point.

Below is what started it all 5/8/10:

http://northwestern....sid=901&style=2

I just had a few beers tonight with a friend who works for the Big Ten here in Chicago. According to him, the Big Ten has focused their efforts on and is getting hot with three schools: Notre Dame, Texas, and Nebraska.

A few things stood out about what he told me. First, contrary to my understanding of the benefits of expansion, the Big Ten is NOT pursuing a playoff system in football. Instead of a playoff, the football teams would all be required to add an additional one or two out of conference game, which would push the regular season back one week or two. The Big Ten wants to maintain the end of season rivalry games at the end of the football season as opposed to adding a playoff.

Second, the Big Ten, Texas and Notre Dame are discussing a special rule to accommodate both of those schools. Instead of playing 8 games, both Texas and ND would play 7 to enable each school to play 6 out of conference games. That's apparently the caveat that brought both to the table, and Texas and ND also want to play each other every year. The tradeoff is that an 8-0 Big Ten team would always trump a 7-0 ND/Texas as conference champion, which is a potential logistical sticking point for the Big Ten and these teams. But apparently ND and Texas value the extra OOC game more than the conference championship potential, and ND and Texas want to play each other every year making the tie between two 7-0 teams impossible. They're also looking at potentially giving a automatic BCS slot for a 7-0 ND/Texas Big Ten team that loses the conference championship to an 8-0 team as a carrot, where the 8-0 team could still get the at-large but isn't guaranteed.

Finally, the Big East is essentially pushing ND to discussions with the Big Ten. The Big East has presented an ultimatum to ND to play football or get out of the conference for the other sports in order to protect the integrity of the remainder of the conference. Apparently discussions have taken place between the Big Ten and the Big East, and the current understanding is that the Big Ten will not accept any other Big East schools if ND joins the Big Ten. ND also will retain a national schedule, particularly with Texas joining, where it would have the ability to schedule 6 OOC games plus one game with Texas. This means they're picking up only three additional games with Big Ten schools while playing in the conference.

Very cool to hear the details from the inside tonight.

--- 6/9/2010 Update:

Thanks to spartantailgate.com for preserving my original post. I have kept notes on the entire development of this and will write it into a book or some other form, it really has been fascinating. It's pretty clear at this point that neither I nor my friend will be in any trouble for me writing anything.

Congratulations to the Big Ten either way. Today is a big day for you, after literally years and years of work.

This post was edited on 6/10 10:21 AM by PURPLE Book Cat

Okay. I remember this article, I just didn't know it was from PBC.

Thanks for the clarification. thumbsup.gif

Just watching ESPNU, and at approximately 7:32 Pat Ford (or Horde) something like that, said that an offer has been made or an invitation has been given to Nebraska and Missouri by the Big 10. In addition, the Pac 10 has been given the go ahead to expand and the Texas schools are saying they want Baylor to be the 6th team. Guess it's going to be the Big XII South heading out.

Sorry if this is more of the same, but I just felt like giving info I heard that it's becoming more official.

If Texas is acting that way, if I was the Pac 10 commissioner I would put my foot down and say "Baylor is not apart of the deal, you either take the invites with Colorado, or not. I'm running the Pac 10, not Texas."

They're not even in the conference yet, and they're already trying to run it. :facepalm:

While I strongly dislike both Texas and Notre Dame, that would make the Big 10 one hell of a conference.

Ohio State

Penn State

Michigan

Notre Dame

Texas

Nebraska

Good grief. Now that would be the true Conference USA.

While I strongly dislike both Texas and Notre Dame, that would make the Big 10 one hell of a conference.

Ohio State

Penn State

Michigan

Notre Dame

Texas

Nebraska

Good grief. Now that would be the true Conference USA.

Michigan

Texas

Notre Dame

Nebraska

Ohio St.

Penn St.

^^ The order of most winningest programs.