Osborne has NU on path to Big Ten

Osborne has NU on path to Big Ten

No way he could’ve imagined it last June.

No way he could’ve imagined becoming a central figure in the conference expansion-through-cannibalism mania.

No way he could’ve imagined being in a staredown with his good buddies from Texas.

A year ago this week, Osborne and Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman announced an agreement to extend indefinitely Osborne’s appointment as athletic director. The original plan called for Osborne to serve through the end of this month, after he righted the rocky ship that was the athletic department in October 2007.

Said Perlman last June: “The department faces some real challenges and opportunities as we move forward, and Tom brings a breadth of experience that can serve the university well.”

By Friday, that experience could lead Nebraska to the Big Ten.

The conference expansion/realignment exercise appears to be moving into the late stages, and after discussions with several sources Tuesday, signs point to Nebraska joining the Big Ten.

In Nebraska’s case, it’s starting to feel like one of those classic Osborne-coached football games. You remember the old coach, squinting into the afternoon sun. He often kept the plan pretty conservative. Showed little emotion. Operated with poise. You knew he’d come up with something in the end.

He appears to have another big win in him.

You wonder what goes through Osborne’s mind in the late stages of the current “game.” I’m guessing he’s not entirely comfortable with the whole dadgum, money-driven situation. After all, this game’s about big-boy money. It’s about billion-dollar television contracts, one of the two major revenue streams left in college sports. Kill or be killed. Yep, that serious.

This game’s about the enormously successful Big Ten Network increasing revenue. It’s about Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, the brains behind the league’s network, trying to hit yet another home run. It’s about wet-behind-the-ears Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott significantly increasing his league’s TV contract-negotiating leverage by (reportedly) inviting half the Big 12 to join the fun. The Scott-versus-Delany duel is intriguing in itself.

Television negotiations. Cable TV subscriptions and fees. Remote controls. Call me a fuddy-duddy, but that’s what college athletics is all about. Has been for years, but now more than ever. Indeed, the Pac-10 hired Scott to fix its maligned TV deal. Remember, Scott is the guy credited with infusing life into women’s professional tennis thanks to an $88 million contract with Sony Ericsson and several lucrative agreements. For women’s tennis? The guy must be a magician.

Meanwhile, Texas and its media chums hope to make Osborne the villain in this game, as the man whose next move could break up the Big 12 and set off the dominos. If looking out for your school’s best interests in an unstable climate makes you a villain, then put a black cowboy hat on Osborne and point the horse due east, because the Big Ten clearly represents the best destination for Nebraska.

As for misgivings Osborne may have about the college athletics landscape, his intense competitiveness no doubt will allow him to put those feelings aside. Does he really want to one-up Texas? Was the 60-minute-plus-one-second Big 12 championship game the final straw? The competitive part of Osborne might have to beat back those negative emotions.

I’m guessing his practical, measured side is driving the bus, apparently straight into Big Ten country. He ponders much more important factors than real or perceived ill will toward UT. I’m hearing T.O. is receiving encouragement from Perlman, who recognizes the positive impact the Big Ten could have on Nebraska as a research institution, and how it could increase the overall student population and, heck, the state’s population.

As for his athletic department, Osborne no doubt regards the 114-year-old Big Ten as a potential haven of stability, where realignment drama perhaps would not occur again for decades, long after he had traded his briefcase for a fishing pole, indefinitely.

I remember talking about conference expansion in- what maybe January? Someone refresh me, how and why did this all start? What I remember was some comment made by the big10 that they may look at expanding their conference. Did this earthquake-like conference expansion start with Nebraska thinking about seeking out equality in another conference? Or was it just similar timing with B10/Pac 10 looking to increase its tv base and the Nebraska/Texas fued coming to a head?

I remember talking about conference expansion in- what maybe January? Someone refresh me, how and why did this all start? What I remember was some comment made by the big10 that they may look at expanding their conference. Did this earthquake-like conference expansion start with Nebraska thinking about seeking out equality in another conference? Or was it just similar timing with B10/Pac 10 looking to increase its tv base and the Nebraska/Texas fued coming to a head?

The impetus was Delany (B10 Commissioner) announcing that the Big 10 would be expanding in the next 12-18 months.

The involvement of NU came after much speculation regarding Texas and other ideas. However, the concreteness of the idea is sound. NU brings a LOT in athletics and academics, and IMO it fits Big Ten culture to a "t".

Have there been any polls done by HuskerNation to get a pulse on how most Huskers feel about going to the Big Ten?

Part of my interest in coming to the board was to see if the talk is welcomed or dismissed.

There have been a couple of polls here on this site, which were mostly positive about the move. There are people with concerns, and that likely won't change, but they're in the minority, I believe.

Strange how Sipple posted the same story yesterday, except he included a very important line in yesterday's story:

After talking with several sources Tuesday, signs point to Nebraska ending up in the Big Ten, perhaps by the end of the week.

You don't think Sip's backing off of this, do you? I imagine not considering Lee's report in the OWH.

What about this column makes you think he's backing off?

There have been a couple of polls here on this site, which were mostly positive about the move. There are people with concerns, and that likely won't change, but they're in the minority, I believe.

I've read one thread where there were some differing thoughts on the matter; but I have to ask: do those cautioned 'Huskers really think the Big Ten would be a step down from the Big XII overall? Or is it a lack of seeing the big picture that causes the caution?

I've read one thread where there were some differing thoughts on the matter; but I have to ask: do those cautioned 'Huskers really think the Big Ten would be a step down from the Big XII overall? Or is it a lack of seeing the big picture that causes the caution?

It's definitely lack of seeing the big picture. Most of the people unhappy with the move focus on football, and specifically the Big 10's perceived strength at this moment. It's a case of not being able to see past your nose - all thoughts are about the here and now, this moment in time. People have discussed Michigan as being "weak" and the conference overall as weak.

Oddly, in those same threads you'll find people saying we can't compete in the Big 10 - basically saying it's a weak football conference, but we're not good enough to be successful, despite the fact that we just competed in our own conference's championship game and came damned close to winning. Clearly these arguments aren't based on much logic, but a lot of emotion.

Further, I have yet to see a poster who is against this move address the economic benefits to Nebraska, both in BTN money and CIC grants. And nobody at all is discussing how the cooperative nature of the CIC will necessarily benefit Nebraska academically.

While there are arguments against joining, they're not well-thought-out and they're mostly based on emotion, and adherence to the past.

I would say its a fear of going into the unknown. Sure there are risks, but i would say it is riskier to stay in a doomed conference. Its time to look out for #1 and I believe our program is to stable to faulter no matter where we end up. The Big10 will make us gobbs of money, I can only imagine what we are going to be able to do with an extra 20-30 million a year.

It's definitely lack of seeing the big picture. Most of the people unhappy with the move focus on football, and specifically the Big 10's perceived strength at this moment. It's a case of not being able to see past your nose - all thoughts are about the here and now, this moment in time. People have discussed Michigan as being "weak" and the conference overall as weak.

Oddly, in those same threads you'll find people saying we can't compete in the Big 10 - basically saying it's a weak football conference, but we're not good enough to be successful, despite the fact that we just competed in our own conference's championship game and came damned close to winning. Clearly these arguments aren't based on much logic, but a lot of emotion.

Further, I have yet to see a poster who is against this move address the economic benefits to Nebraska, both in BTN money and CIC grants. And nobody at all is discussing how the cooperative nature of the CIC will necessarily benefit Nebraska academically.

While there are arguments against joining, they're not well-thought-out and they're mostly based on emotion, and adherence to the past.

Bullseye Knapp! Folks forget how much Harvey wants Nebraska to be a first class research institution. Many bigger pieces have been put in place, and he (Harvey) is extremely good at what he does. IMHO, this situation represents the planets aligning in many different ways, and football is only one of those ways. (God i'm glad TO lost the governor's race!)

Strange how Sipple posted the same story yesterday, except he included a very important line in yesterday's story:

After talking with several sources Tuesday, signs point to Nebraska ending up in the Big Ten, perhaps by the end of the week.

You don't think Sip's backing off of this, do you? I imagine not considering Lee's report in the OWH.

What about this column makes you think he's backing off?

Well I said that I imagine that he isn't backing off of it, but I raise the possibility simply because it's the same article, almost word for word, except for the line above removed. To me, that's odd.

The impetus was Delany (B10 Commissioner) announcing that the Big 10 would be expanding in the next 12-18 months.

The involvement of NU came after much speculation regarding Texas and other ideas. However, the concreteness of the idea is sound. NU brings a LOT in athletics and academics, and IMO it fits Big Ten culture to a "t".

Wasn't Delany's announcement just two or three week ago? I am thinking this started must have started behind closed doors long ago. I guess it doesn't really matter, but I am curious. Is it possible that Dr. Tom, fed up with Texas's bullying, planted the seed that started all of the reallignment chain of events? You know in the end, Dr. Tom will always win. I very much admire how he plays his hand.

Have there been any polls done by HuskerNation to get a pulse on how most Huskers feel about going to the Big Ten?

Part of my interest in coming to the board was to see if the talk is welcomed or dismissed.

2/3 or more of Huskers want to join the Big Ten. It is the best scenario and I am glad we appear very close now. There will be many great rivalries,

ALOT of money, and we are a solid fit. Very happy to be joining a strong, coherent and stable conference. :cheers