This whole thing is awful

I grew up watching OU and Nebraska battle for the Big 8 title every year. Therefore, I was not happy when our former athletic director, Donnie Duncan, sold the rivalry up the river at the formation of the Big 12.

Unfortunately for fans like me, our current athletic director Joe Castiglione has now outdone Duncan in allowing Texas to push Nebraska out of the conference. It makes me sick to my stomach that our president and athletic director seem to care nothing about our old Big 8 alliances.

I hate that college football has come to this. For the past 14 years, now, we've been forced to take on Texas Tech and Baylor as conference mates. Now, we're trading away the bulk of our entire history for Arizona and Arizona State. It's awful.

My respect for Nebraska is as high as it ever was. Where OU has been my #1 team, Nebraska has always been #1A. I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe the people running the conferences have so little regard for the traditions and fans.

• Fire 4

Bummer for you guys, the Pac 10 and OU do not fit together, hope you find your way into the SEC somehow.

That's my thinking. I'd love for OU to go to the SEC if they have to go anywhere. But, believe me, Joe Castiglione and Bob Stoops want no part of an SEC year in and year out.

Sadly, Stoops has lost all the edge he came into the job with 12 seasons ago. They tried to get UCLA to back out of a game in 2003 when we had Alabama scheduled as well.

It makes me cringe that any change these days isn't about better competition. You guys are going to a conference with excellent tradition, big stadiums, etc. We're getting USC every four years and nothing else in the way of competition, tradition, good stadiums to visit...outside of the Rose Bowl. But, again, that's only every four years or so.

I just look forward to play OU in the Rose bowl now...every year! :)

Wouldn't that be awesome? The Big XII splits us up, but if we were to win our conference every year we could still play, and for all the marbles. Just like the old days.

I hadn't thought of it that way. I feel a tiny bit better. Tiny. But, odds are they'll try to do a playoff now and squash that as well.

I just look forward to play OU in the Rose bowl now...every year! :)

Wouldn't that be awesome? The Big XII splits us up, but if we were to win our conference every year we could still play, and for all the marbles. Just like the old days.

I hadn't thought of it that way. I feel a tiny bit better. Tiny. But, odds are they'll try to do a playoff now and squash that as well.

Yeah, probably. All that means is we'll have to meet in the Finals. I have every confidence in OU football that they can compete successfully in any conference. This is a team with swagger going back over half a century. You guys aren't going to get pushed around in the Pac-10 or the SEC, no way.

It's a crime that the OU/NU rivalry isn't still one of the elite in college football. It's unfortunate, but Texas consumes everything it touches. Nebraska is looking at the Big 10 for a lot of reasons––I'd like to think we'd be thinking a lot harder if the Great Game was still around like it used to be. But it's not, and that really sucks.

Hey Kevin,

Welcome to the board! I've talked to a couple of Sooner fan buddies who are in agreement with you. They're not happy in the least with what appears to be transpiring. I hope somehow we can begin the rivalry again in the future, say as a non-conference opponent?

I don't see why this couldn't happen.

You have Florida/FSU, Clemson/SCar, GT/UGA, and others who play yearly out of conference...